Spain?

Hi

We have been thinking about holidaying in Spain for sometime but not sure where to go. We do not want a Benidorm, high rise hotel type holiday.e

We enjoy the Greek Islands and like to get out and about to see the sights rather than just laze by the pool (this is ok for a couple of days).

Which parts of Spain would be best for a 1st visit?

Many thanks.
Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Plenty of choice. Barcelona coast, Valencia coast, Menorca, Majorca
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May 2017 at 6:16PM
    Depends on budget, preferred method of travel and your attitude to sun. Also, you might have to be more specific in your question, given the incredible range of options. Spain has
    - some of the best and highest mountain ranges, natural parks and wilderness areas in Europe - the Pyrenees, Picos de Europa, Sierra Nevada, with skiing, walking, canyoning, caving or sightseeing, to
    - busy cultural cities like Barcelona and Madrid...
    - Moorish heritage like the mediaeval cities of the south- the palaces, gardens, mosques and flamenco of Seville, Granada, Toledo, Ronda
    -Costa's which are less visited by BritChavs; like
    - the cooler northern "Costa Verde"; the jurassic limestone Bay of Biscay coast west from Santander' - the coves and beaches of Cantabria and Asturias (which is close to the Picos de Europa ),
    - the "Costa de la Luz"- the windy undeveloped Atlantic south west beaches and dunes between Cadiz and Tarifa (ferries to Africa)
    - or even some of the more "Spanish" bits of the north eastern "Costa Brava" like L'Escala; a predominantly locals' resort where kids play on the beach at midnight and which is a short drive from the budget airports of Girona and Barcelona and the Salvador Dali attractions of Cadaques and Figueres.

We've been visiting Spain for over 50 years. We can't stand the searing heat of the summer on the much maligned Costa del Sol near Malaga, but do visit Nerja- a nicer resort an hour east from there most Februaries; of ten twinning it with inland gems like Ronda.
    We don't do beaches either, but we visit the Cantabria Coast; Llanes is a favourite before driving up into the Picos mountains for some gentle walking. That's particularly affordable via Brittany Ferries with you own car; book a few nights hotels with them and the 24-hour ferry crossing price tumbles; or fly-drive via Santander or Bilbao

And even package resorts can have original "Spanish" quarters or a lovely hinterland a bus ride away; we were always snobby about Marbella (an hour from Malaga) because of its "Costa del Crime" image, but when we actually visited and stayed in a hotel in the original old town, we were pleasantly surprised. And even Mallorca is an island of contrasts; avoid the south west coastal strip of drunks and it has mountains, plains, coves and quiet beaches; a microcosm of Spain in fact; and the little rattly "Tren de Soller" and tram on to Port Soller is a wonderful way to arrive from the capital, Palma.

Google image any of these 20-30 places to see if you fancy them , then look at the regional pages of Tripadvisor. The advantage of Spain is that compared with France and Italy, its incredibly cheap- maybe not quite as cheap as the Greek Islands, but with more budget flights.
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you so much for your replies.

We don't mind the heat which is good as we go during school holidays (no children but l work in a school). We like to relax on holiday but also enjoy meeting and talking to locals and learning more about the country and what it has to offer.

Not into nightclubs, drinking too much or staying out until the early hours but we do like to hire a car and see as much as we can.
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Formentera, Costa de la Luz.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not drive there and use your own car. It's a completely different experience to flying and hiring.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ola!

Me and the cook are coming to the end of a 3 week stay in Andalusia, staying in a gorgeous coastal town called Nerja.

Nerja is about 40 miles east of Malaga, the beginning of the white villages, and is picture postcard perfect.

Perfect for mature folk wanting a good time without the place being 24/7 in your face.
  • Keu
    Keu Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I was going to suggest Andalucia, anywhere between Malaga and Alicante.

I can second Nerja, amazing beaches not far and also "Parque Natural Sierras de Tejeda" which has loads of trails and some caves that are worth seeing. I think there is a chapel built into the mountain somewhere thereabouts.

thenerjacaves.com/maro/
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Kit1 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your replies.

We don't mind the heat which is good as we go during school holidays (no children but l work in a school). We like to relax on holiday but also enjoy meeting and talking to locals and learning more about the country and what it has to offer.

Not into nightclubs, drinking too much or staying out until the early hours but we do like to hire a car and see as much as we can.

If you like hiring a car (personally, I don't - a holiday for me means no driving) then try the north Spanish coast - Bilbao, San Sebastian, Santander etc. Lots of good sights, excellent food and it isn't so hot as the rest of Spain. You'll have to brush up on your Spanish though as English isn't as widely spoken as elsewhere in the country as there are far fewer British tourists around.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Keu wrote: »
    I was going to suggest Andalucia, anywhere between Malaga and Alicante.

I can second Nerja, amazing beaches not far and also "Parque Natural Sierras de Tejeda" which has loads of trails and some caves that are worth seeing. I think there is a chapel built into the mountain somewhere thereabouts.

thenerjacaves.com/maro/

Went to the caves at Nerja.....they are amazing. Ticket bought at Nerja Museum cost €10, which included the caves [Audio Guide], Neja Museum, hop-on hop-off Cuevatrain [Noddy Train] which also stopped in the lovely little village of Maro.

After nearly 3 weeks in the lovely Nerja area we moved into Malaga a couple of days ago.....it's a beautiful city which imo knocks spots off Barcelona and Venice.

Sat at Malaga Airport now waiting for flight back to LGW.

Next stop Bosnia and Herzegovina [Mostar and Sarajevo].:)
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PompeyPete wrote: »

After nearly 3 weeks in the lovely Nerja area we moved into Malaga a couple of days ago.....it's a beautiful city which imo knocks spots off Barcelona and Venice.

Tastes differ... I once spent a month doing a language course in Malaga, and while it definitely has its charms I could only find a tiny fraction there of what I found in places like Cordoba, Sevilla and Barcelona.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure