Extension is over 7 years old, wont need permission for conservatory?

Options
We've had a well known, reputable building company round to look at building us a 4m square orangery, onto the back of our already extended semi detached home. They told us as the extension is over 7 years old, we wouldnt need any permission to add the orangery, is this true? I've done some searching on Google but couldnt find anything definitive, so thought I'd ask on here

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are talking bow locks. Speak to the planning dept at your local council. Builders are very good at telling you what you want to hear. But they are not the ones who have sort the mess out when you come to sell the house.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • diamond_dave
    diamond_dave Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes see my posts on the sunroom added to a new build that my dd wants to buy. Very reputable national company, did a lovely job but didn't bother getting br's so we've had to get the vendors to obtain an indemnity. The costs in getting the right permissions are negligible compared to the hassle when you come to sell the property.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks people, I did wonder.... I know the regs were relaxed for semi's, so you can go out 6m now instead of 3m (I have done a bit of reading up) just hadnt seen anything about this other 'ruling' that I wasnt too sure about

Thanks again
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is generally the case that no enforcement can be taken by the council planning department more than 4 years after the relevant building work has been carried out provided that it relates to a private dwelling and no previous enforcement action has already been attempted.
    However, as already mentioned, without planning permission, you may have problem if/when you try to sell in the future.
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    For permitted development rights it is the original rear wall of the house that counts, so unless the existing extension is less than 2m deep you'll need to either seek planning permission or reduce the depth of the orangery to keep within 6m of the original rear wall.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DTDfanBoy wrote: »
    For permitted development rights it is the original rear wall of the house that counts, so unless the existing extension is less than 2m deep you'll need to either seek planning permission or reduce the depth of the orangery to keep within 6m of the original rear wall.

Yes, but even if the extension were 2 metres deep and the new extension comes to 6 metres, the local authority has to be notified and the neighbours are consulted. It's not hugely different to gaining planning permission.

Anything over 3 metres from that back wall needs paperwork.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions/2
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your builders are ignorant, by the way.

Please tell me this 'orangerie' has a glass roof and not the insulated ones that don't meet building regs that they're so proud of.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure