Can I keep my council flat if I inherit money?

I live in a council flat and receive benefits and disability allowances. I have received a substantial inheritance, and will, of course, no longer claim benefits... but will I have to leave my council flat? The inheritance would not be enough to buy myself a home....

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jmcguire wrote: »
    I live in a council flat and receive benefits and disability allowances. I have received a substantial inheritance, and will, of course, no longer claim benefits... but will I have to leave my council flat? The inheritance would not be enough to buy myself a home....

What kind of tenancy do you have?
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Unlikely - council homes are not really means teasted. In theory you could win the lottery, get a job as CEO of a huge company or find a mahoosive diamond ring at a car boot sale (it happens!) and none of that would change your right to remain in the property. As long as you pay your rent and look after the property, you should be fine. There was talk of social housing providers being forced to charge wealthy tenants higher market rents (pay to stay) but it doesnt appear to have got off the gound.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I believe that certain highly paid trade union leaders have/had council houses,even though they could afford to buy a luxurious house of their own.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

just pay your rent and council tax, you'll be fine.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    The reason why I asked about the tenancy agreement is because this may make a difference to the OP's situation.

Some tenancies are now on a fixed term and have to be renewed after that term.

Some authorities may look at the OP's situation and decide that the inheritance means that they are financially capable of renting privately and decide not to renew the tenancy.

Not saying it would happen, just giving a 'heads up'.
  • Hi Not sure how to use these boards- please advise if I've got this wrong I don't know how to start a new question!
    My 70 year Mother in law lives in a rented council house, has only state pension and housing benefits as her income with zero savings. She is due to receive a small inheritance of just under £5400. I assume even if it is a relatively small amount like this , she will of course have to declare it. I hope this modest amount might help her over the next few years with heating bills, food etc without struggling so much as she does at the moment. But more of a worry is might have to move out of the council house she has rented for over 40years. Does anyone know if this is likely?

many thanks for any help
  • sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    jmcguire wrote: »

You need to tell DWP and the local council about your inheritance of course. But if you get disability living allowance, personal independence payment or attendance allowance, you can carry on claiming it as your money makes no difference to those benefits.

And if you're on a benefit (e.g. ESA) that gives you national insurance credits which go towards your state pension, then it could be worth keeping your claim open as you can still get those credits even if you have too much money to still get a benefit payment.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My 70 year Mother in law lives in a rented council house, has only state pension and housing benefits as her income with zero savings. She is due to receive a small inheritance of just under £5400. I assume even if it is a relatively small amount like this , she will of course have to declare it. I hope this modest amount might help her over the next few years with heating bills, food etc without struggling so much as she does at the moment. But more of a worry is might have to move out of the council house she has rented for over 40years. Does anyone know if this is likely?

Very unlikely if she has had a secure tenancy for 40+ years.

And £5400 is below the lower limit for most if not all means-tested benefits; she may have to declare it but it shouldn't affect what she receives. M-i-l or you might contact local council or CAB to see if there are any other benefits she might get such as attendance allowance or pension credit.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure