Employer refusing to pay notice

Options
13»

Comments

• Lily78987
    Lily78987 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, am finding this a bit confusing. There was no misunderstanding. I handed in my notice, my employer told me that she doesn't want me to work my notice. That was all that happened. Am I supposed to sit around for two weeks in the hope that she might come back to me and change her mind? There is nothing in my contract mentioning garden leave so did not have to be available to her in those two weeks. Of course I panicked and wanted to make sure that I had work lined up in case I don't get paid for this notice period.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 May 2017 at 1:31PM
    Options
    They would be paying you because you are working for them in that period, just not actually going in to work. Yes, you are supposed to sit around for two weeks, but not in the "hope" of anything. You are sitting around for 2 weeks because that is what they are paying you to do. Of course you had to be available.

You were asked to come back and said that you couldn't because you were working for someone else. Therefore they are not going to pay you for sitting around any more.

I don't know how to put it any more clearly.

Incidentally I see now that even you were not convinced that the exchange meant that you notice would be paid; so much so that you "panicked" and arranged other work.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Lily78987 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, am finding this a bit confusing. There was no misunderstanding. I handed in my notice, my employer told me that she doesn't want me to work my notice. That was all that happened. Am I supposed to sit around for two weeks in the hope that she might come back to me and change her mind? There is nothing in my contract mentioning garden leave so did not have to be available to her in those two weeks. Of course I panicked and wanted to make sure that I had work lined up in case I don't get paid for this notice period.

that is not what you wrote earlier you missed out the critical bit....
    .....with my last day being on 11th May 2017.

that the notice but you added
    With that being said, if you do not want me to work my notice period then please let me know.
    that is an offer to not work the notice the employer replied with
    "Thank you for your email. I think its best if you don’t return to work. Let’s put it behind us and move forward."

there was clearly a misunderstanding as when you asked for pay that had been unexpected and you were made aware that day.

by the time the misunderstanding had been cleared up you had made yourself unavailable for work.

it is not clear which days these communications are because 11 May was a Thurs, that would mean notice was given on the Thur 27th of April. and it appears the if you want pay you work was communicated by the Fri.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure