We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

North wall

Gers
Gers Posts: 12,011 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
Hi again

I've got a north facing wall for which I've ordered an Hydrangea petiolaris which should cover it. Now I realise that my soil is only a small layer of earth, mixed with gravel, and then under that is tough plastic sheeting so digging a hole may be very difficult.

Can this hydrangea be planted in a large container instead?

Thanks

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Theyve got quite big root systems so not ideal for containers. Also worth noting that growth will be restricted in a pot so might not give you the same coverage. Depending on the wall its up against that might also cause problems. The vines stick like theyve been welded so best to make sure youre happy for it to stay there.
  • Gers
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Theyve got quite big root systems so not ideal for containers. Also worth noting that growth will be restricted in a pot so might not give you the same coverage. Depending on the wall its up against that might also cause problems. The vines stick like theyve been welded so best to make sure youre happy for it to stay there.

Thanks - I thought not! I'll have to get a big strong man with a big strong shovel to break through the plastic. And yes, it can stay there for ever, it's an old (very old) stone wall which is the back of our barn and forms part of the walled garden. Wall on the right hand side.

IMG_1020.jpg

All those ferns are now gone as is the grass / moss against the wall. Now it needs some colour and interest as it's what we face when sitting opposite.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Plastic sheeting really isn't that strong and will be far less bother to deal with once than constantly messing about, watering, feeding or changing compost and wondering if vine weevils have attacked....if you have them.

Clematis also work well on north facing walls.

Someone once buried a black plastic silage cover in my streamside wild area, probably using a digger. Realising it could be 30' long, I gave up trying to dig it out and used a weed burner to destroy the visible parts.
  • Gers
    My 5 litre pot arrived this morning so I tackled the digging myself.

As Dave said, I just cut the plastic away. The tougher part was digging the hole as the soil is littered with stones, pieces of granite, pieces of slate, broken plant pots, bits of bricks etc.

Now I've got the hole I'm just waiting for the plant to soak up water from the kitchen sink, I've mixed some compost with well-rotted horse manure and will plant it in about half an hour.

I'll take photos once a month to check growth. I'm so pleased it's here as that wall is so bare and grey. The clematis on the south facing wall is galloping away this year with lots of blossoms.
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    I planted that hydrangea when I moved here 10 years ago on a north facing wall it is just flowering now and looks fantastic, it did take a few years to establish, but it is worth it.
  • Gers
    I planted that hydrangea when I moved here 10 years ago on a north facing wall it is just flowering now and looks fantastic, it did take a few years to establish, but it is worth it.

I hope it flowers next year, so looking forward to it.

Well, it hasn't died yet!

IMG_1448.jpg
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Your post made me go out and find my H petiolaris, which I purchased in Morrisons last year for the princely sum of £2.

The vine weevils hadn't quite done for it, so it's now repotted. No idea where it will go yet though!
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    I have Hydrangea petiolaris on the north facing wall of the house and one on the north facing garden fence

The house one has been there for years and grows very vigorously, this is the 3rd season for the one on the fence and it's got going this year.
  • Gers
    I have Hydrangea petiolaris on the north facing wall of the house and one on the north facing garden fence

The house one has been there for years and grows very vigorously, this is the 3rd season for the one on the fence and it's got going this year.

Well, I won't expect too much too soon. Thanks.

It'll be great when it does start to grow, I'm just happy it's survived the journey and the planting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure