Changes to a student loan contract

Options
I took out a student loan on the original agreement that I wouldn't pay back the money until I earn over 21000 and I pay 9% of my income.

The 21000 was supposed to go up yet I've just noticed previous news that they changed that contract without consulting people. If this was a loan from a bank it would be not be allowed.

I just seen another news article where the government doesn't rule out increasing the 9%.

What can students do to fight this? As I don't believe it's fair.

The worst fear is the government changing the loan entirely into one of those mortgage style loans and selling them off so that they can come bankrupt me and force sale of my house for this debt.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I took out a student loan on the original agreement that I wouldn't pay back the money until I earn over 21000 and I pay 9% of my income.

This hasn't changed.
    The worst fear is the government changing the loan entirely into one of those mortgage style loans

No intention to do this has been announced by any political party.
    ...and selling them off....

If they were sold off the same conditions would apply.
    so that they can come bankrupt me

They won't make you bankrupt if you make the payments as you signed up to. In fact, student loans are excluded from bankruptcy, so making yourself bankrupt would be a waste of your own time.
    and force sale of my house for this debt.

The government has always said that repayments are linked to income. No one will be forced to repay if they have no income. After a certain number of years the loans will be written off.

I think you are worrying yourself needlessly. Martin (Lewis) has said that he believes it is wrong that the government hasn't increased the 21k threshold and is looking in to whether there is a legal case to answer. Further worrying on your part about bankruptcy and losing your home is unnecessary.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 May 2017 at 6:50PM
    Options
    sean9461 wrote: »

The 21000 was supposed to go up yet I've just noticed previous news that they changed that contract without consulting people. If this was a loan from a bank it would be not be allowed.

I just seen another news article where the government doesn't rule out increasing the 9%.

What can students do to fight this? As I don't believe it's fair.

The worst fear is the government changing the loan entirely into one of those mortgage style loans and selling them off so that they can come bankrupt me and force sale of my house for this debt.

Have a read of this article and the comments at the bottom:

http://www.hepi.ac.uk/2016/07/28/why-the-moneysavingexpert-is-wrong

The person that wrote this article (Nick Hillman) was a Special Adviser to the Universities Minister at the time the 2012 changes were made and is now Director of HEPI, a think tank.

Bottom line is no-one has changed the contract. If you read the contract you signed (which you were told to do before signing it) you'd have seen that you were agreeing to repaying your loan in line with the REPAYMENT REGULATONS that apply at the time the repayment is due and AS THEY ARE AMENDED. The repayment regulations MAY BE REPLACED BY FURTHER REGULATIONS.

And in the case of the £21,000 threshold freeze, no-one has changed the repayment regulations either as an automatic threshold increase regulation was not put into them (whereas it was for pre-2012 students in the 2011 amending regulations: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/784/regulation/6/made which were further amended in 2014 to continue increasing that threshold annually: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/651/regulation/4/made). Instead increasing the threshold requires the current regulations to be amended (which you've agreed to in the contract).

The original regulations are the following:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/470/contents/made

The regulations that amended the above regulations to bring in most of the 2012 changes are the following. The one relevant to the £21,000 threshold is the following:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/1309/regulation/11/made

To change the threshold requires further amending regulations and the current Government decided not to make them (which they are perfectly entitled to do).
  • sean9461
    sean9461 Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    I read my contract and have it on me actually and I can't find the small print on changing regulations.

However even if it did say that. That's basically saying that the government has the right to change the loan agreement whenever they want.

If a loan company put that in the agreement there would be uproar.

If the government has the power to change any part of the agreement then I don't think that is right at all.

They have froze the 21000 which basically means by 2020 minimum wage is going to be 18000+ a further few years and minimum wage will be at 21000 and students will be forced to repay money they cannot afford.
  • Ed-1
    edited 20 May 2017 at 11:45PM
    Options
    I read my contract and have it on me actually and I can't find the small print on changing regulations.

However even if it did say that. That's basically saying that the government has the right to change the loan agreement whenever they want.

If a loan company put that in the agreement there would be uproar.

If the government has the power to change any part of the agreement then I don't think that is right at all.

They have froze the 21000 which basically means by 2020 minimum wage is going to be 18000+ a further few years and minimum wage will be at 21000 and students will be forced to repay money they cannot afford.

The terms that students sign up to are the following:

1267ebm.jpg

As you read the guide to terms and conditions you were told to in paragraph (b), you'll know that on page 3 it states that loan terms may change from time to time. It mentions nowhere in those terms that the £21,000 threshold would increase in future so that required a change to the terms to bring about.

The legislation to go with paragraph (c) can be found online, and as with all legislation, can be amended from time to time, subject to Parliamentary scrutiny.

The key repayment parameters are set out in these regulations which have been subsequently amended by (for example) these regulations.

So the answer is, yes, the loan terms set out in these regulations can be amended by subsequent regulations for both new and existing borrowers. However detrimentally amending legislation retrospectively doesn't happen that often.

'Negative' changes to student loans so far have not actually involved amending the regulations.

For example, the repayment threshold for post-2012 loans is £21,000 in the regulations and is still £21,000. No changes to the terms were needed to freeze it. But the Government are free to amend the regulations from time to time, so can increase (or indeed decrease) it as they please by amending the regulations. These particular regulations are subject to the 'negative resolution' procedure, which means Parliament do not need to approve them for them to become law, but an MP can raise an objection to them and force a vote if they want. Thus Parliament can effectively block changes they don't like, although it would take an MP to pray against the regulations.

Post-2008 starters were meant to get 'repayment holidays' but these were quietly dropped in 2010 and were never legislated for.

Bottom line is, once something is in the regulations, it becomes much more unlikely that it will negatively change because Parliament can block it if it wants. However before it makes it into the regulations, Governments can simply change their mind and decide not to implement something. This is exactly what happened when they left the threshold for post-2012 loans at £21,000 and dropped repayment holidays.

The threshold for pre-2012 loans was £10,000 from 2000 to 2005 when the Government raised it to £15,000 for all borrowers by amending the regulations. They committed to increasing it in 2010 but changed their mind due to negative inflation which ended up leaving the threshold at £15,000 until 2012. The Coalition Government amended the regulations in 2011 to include an uprating mechanism for the £15,000 threshold to annually increase it by RPI from 2012 (initially until 2015, but they then amended the regulations again in 2014 to remove the time limit and allow it to increase indefinitely).

These aren't commercial loans and shouldn't be compared to such loans. They don't go on credit files and don't need to be repaid in full. They are an income contingent loan scheme - effectively a tax - and taxes change each year...
  • Ed-1
    Options
    They changed that contract without consulting people.

They didn't change the contract but they did consult stakeholders in a public consultation announced at the July 2015 budget:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/freezing-the-student-loan-repayment-threshold

You'll notice that the final paragraph of the Government response contains one of the most important points. As the post-2012 threshold uprating had not yet been legislated for (and therefore hadn't been agreed by Parliament) Parliament could do nothing to block the freeze:

121. This decision can be implemented without the requirement to amend the
    Education (Student Loans) (Repayment) Regulations 2009 (as amended).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure