Disability employment legal rights clarification request - Asperger Syndrome

Options

Comments

• wantsajob
    wantsajob Posts: 705 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2011 at 4:38PM
    Options
    As above, it seems to me that you are stressing the negatives of Aspergers far to much which I guess is coming across to employers.

Concentrate on the positives of Aspergers and you really need to learn stock answers for this so that you can bring this into an interview conversation.

It seems whatever I do I come up against a brick wall. I have decided that as it seems I have so much difficulty, that I need to divulge my Aspergers to employers and that consideration needs to be made of it - otherwise they will reject me regardless. Concentrating on positives and benefits and so on would not have helped in this particular instance as their decision related to the negative aspects anyway. As I said feedback said "[FONT=&quot]Candidate was technically strong and showed some good insights into related issues, his technical presentation was well researched and well delivered. He [/FONT][FONT=&quot]lacked evidence of some of the key competencies needed for such a senior position, notably team working and customer appreciation.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]" [/FONT]

The decision whether to give me a job or not in every instance has hinged purely on the negative aspects of my condition in every single interview regardless of whether I divulged the condition or not and whatever I said in the interview. If I do not mention the negative aspects (which I only do so briefly and concisely), then the negative aspects that become obvious in the interview will be far more apparent and I am less likely to get anywhere. I need to pre-warn them, so to speak, that I will not appear to be a normal person in an interview. Highlighting the positives will not help if they have the mindset that certain abilities are important, and that if you have a disability which prevents you doing well at these things then you may as well be unemployed all your life. The positive aspects of my condition are probably no better reflected than in the fact I got a first class honours degree!
    What do you hope to gain by going down the legal route?
    I would like the law to be upheld, and feel that if I was able to create case-law, this may benefit not only myself - but everyone with a similar or related atypical neurological condition who finds themselves in my position. I think being nearly 31 and never having had a paid job is pretty **** and I don't want anyone else to end up in similar circumstances. In reality I realise employers will just tighten up making sure they don't divulge evidence for the real reasons for not employing someone - but even then at least I have achieved something.
    So on one hand you want it tailored to your disability but on the other hand you don't as its discriminatory?
    You appear to have misunderstood, or perhaps I did not explain what I intended to get across well.

Non-disabled candidates all asked question 1
    Disabled candidate asked question 2 instead - of which it relates indirectly to things they may have difficulty with due to their disability

There is something wrong in that situation!

Also take for example everyone being asked to complete a written test, and one of them happens to have dyslexia and is rejected because they did poorly on the written test - when writing is absolutely nothing to do with the job. That would be a clear case of discrimination.

I want a job based on my ability to do the job. From the above feedback it seems clear to me that they thought I would be good at everything but the teamwork and customer appreciation - two skills I have difficulty with due to my Aspergers. I feel I should be offered a position based on my ability to do it compared with the other candidates, and that this decision should not be clouded by things I find difficult due to my disability - which it clearly was.
    Wanted a job, now have one. :beer:
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wantsajob, do you know how abrasive your posts appear?

That in itself would be a reason not employ - "I don't believe s/he could work with others"

Every suggestion has been rejected/ tried it/ they were useless etc.

How can you present yourself more positively for employers?

Or is it all about the law and rights for you? Do you not really want a job?

I could offer lots of ideas but I don't want to invest the time if you are not receptive.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • wantsajob
    edited 30 April 2011 at 5:52PM
    Options
    Employers still can and will make a decision based on your skills and abilities, whether these are under your control or not. They don't have to make allowances for this, their interest is in getting the best possible person for the job, and doing that is not discrimination. It would be discrimination if your disability made no difference to your ability to do the job (with reasonable adjustments if necessary). So a wheelchair user should be considered equally for a job where the only difference it makes is that they might need the office rearranged a bit, but a wheelchair user can't apply for a job that requires a different type of mobility, for example as a window cleaner, and then say that because their ability to climb a ladder is not under their control, the employer is discriminating if they don't give them the job.

Unfortunately, although your technical side was excellent and you could have coped with the communications side, there were probably several applicants whose technical side AND communications were excellent, so the employer was quite right and legally sound to give the job to one of those people instead of you.

And where does that leave me? All jobs out there expect these types of abilities, every single one, even if you think they do not. Should I give up applying for jobs? Am I wasting my time? I can't go on living life with no money and so suicide seems ever increasingly the only option, particularly if I have to accept your perspective.

You wheelchair user as a window cleaner is entirely different to me and the position I applied for. If the employer is able to consider deaf applicants for the post, as they said they were by offering a sign language interpreter, what is the difference where I am concerned? A deaf person would also have difficulties with those aspects of the job.

If I had been subject to the same evaluations when it came to going to University, I would never have got a First Class honours degree. Employers could be missing out on the best employee ever, without realising it.

If you look here http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/guidance-for-employers/ I think you may find you are wrong.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    OP, you say that attending Remploy is a waste of time, I know that it isnt, one of my friends was unemployed for a long time due to having epilepsy and being made redundant from his previous job - he eventually found a job via Remploy with one of their employment partners John Lewis - he now runs the menswear department in his local John Lewis store. Remploy work with many firms and assist people with disabilities to find work within those firms.

You could also try The Shaw Trust which is another charitable organisation that helps people with disabilities find their way back into work or find them their first job if they have never worked. https://www.shaw-trust.org.uk (although some of their programmes have ceased due to a change in government funding, you could still contact them for help).

I know it is tough when you go for interviews which is why attending Remploy will help - people sometimes cannot see past the disability and that is tough but there are employers out there who will employ a disabled person. If you look for the green tick when applying for a job, if you meet the requirements and you are disabled then you are guaranteed an interview.

Sometimes those of us with disabilities have to use the resources provided to find employment or start our own businesses. Unless I say something, no-one knows that I am blind in my left eye with about 2% peripheral vision and no central vision at all. I used all the resources available to me after I was made redundant and thanks to the jobcentre and my Disability Employment Advisor - I have been self employed for 2 years now.:j
  • wantsajob
    edited 30 April 2011 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Emmzi wrote: »
    wantsajob, do you know how abrasive your posts appear?

Obviously not. I apologise (if that makes any difference). Maybe if you were in my position you would be the same.
    Every suggestion has been rejected/ tried it/ they were useless etc.

I continue to see the DEA and Remploy despite them having little obvious utility. I am willing to try anything and everything.
    How can you present yourself more positively for employers?

The negative aspects will be there regardless and will be obvious when I am asked questions.

I cannot consider how I could have presented myself any more positively for the last position. In fact I believe I performed far better in that interview than any other interview I have been to. This seems to be apparent in them considering my technical ability to be good. The only way I could have done so would be to be what I would consider "fake" and to lie and be dishonest and to try and suggest I have abilities that I don't by giving dishonest and disingenuous replies to questions. This seems to be what everyone else does, so maybe I should give it a go?

Even going into the usual list of positives about Aspergers.
    • accuracy
    • a good eye for detail and reliability
    • an excellent memory for facts and figures
    • the ability to thrive in a structured, well-organised work environment.
    I would have considered these are all evident from the results of my educational qualifications.
    Or is it all about the law and rights for you? Do you not really want a job?

A job has been my ultimate aim for many years. What is so wrong about someone having legal rights and enforcing them? The rights are constantly ignored and flouted by employers - and the whole point which you seem to have missed about rights and laws is that they are about getting a job. I can't see how the two are incompatible. Faced with the apparent impossibility of getting a job, legal rights appears to be the only avenue open to further explore.
    I could offer lots of ideas but I don't want to invest the time if you are not receptive.

I'm investing my time here because ultimately I want a job, hence my username. Otherwise I would not be here, I'd be sat on the couch watching TV not applying for jobs like all those chavs out there who prefer to live off benefits. I would not have purchased and read three books on Aspergers and employment cover to cover.

I am receptive, but my situation is a particularly difficult and challenging one. Otherwise I would have managed to get a job.
    Horace wrote: »
    OP, you say that attending Remploy is a waste of time, I know that it isnt, one of my friends was unemployed for a long time due to having epilepsy and being made redundant from his previous job - he eventually found a job via Remploy with one of their employment partners John Lewis - he now runs the menswear department in his local John Lewis store. Remploy work with many firms and assist people with disabilities to find work within those firms.
    They have only offered an opportunity to apply for one of their partners once. It was for Sainsburys collecting trolleys a couple of hours each evening. I thought long and hard about the opportunity, eventually deciding against it as by the time I have travelled there each day, travel costs would have taken an hours wages off, and with it only being a few hours a day... I'm still not sure if it was the right choice, but the choice has been made now.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    I personally don't find OP's posts to be abrassive given his well established condition, i do find them to be clinical to the point whereby he is wondering if the reason he's not getting paid employment is based soley because he finds potential employers give added weight to the negative side of his condition without properly adjusting it for the fact the positives of his condition far outweigh any potential problem. So for example the OP has potential to grasp technical insight with the sort of ease us "normal" people would dearly love to have, but unlike us "normal" people he SOMETIMES has issues regarding face to face encounters with people, now while this may present a problem with certain customers his technical abilities would i don't doubt far outweigh any negative effect of this - the issue at hand being that potential employers see Aspergers as a disability which they can't work around, when the reality is that it could be worked around.

Now, the issue is that it depends soley on how you're willing to adapt to a situation whereby employment would be suitable - i'll admit my knowledge of Aspergers is virtually zero, however i believe that when i worked with a well known high street retailer they had one young guy on a placement from a local scheme who worked in our stock room, due to his condition he was perfect for the position. Unfortunately i doubt this kind of work would be enough to satisfy your apparent taste for "action" so to speak - i think you sound like someone who would prefer to find work which would challenge you on all aspects, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong in thinking that.

Unfortunately though, laws are always open to interpretation - and when it comes to the crunch, many employers can indirectly use systems to avoid being in breach of the law without actually enforcing what it's there to achieve, so while they will never directly say "oh Mr Wantsajob wasn't given a job because he has Aspergers" they will word it and tailor it that someone will be more suitable than you. This isn't uncommon and while it's not moral it's certainly also not illegal - there is no law which states that someone of X condition or Y "demographic" (sex, race, religion, orientation for examples) MUST be given a job, only that a given "factor" cannot be held against them.

(i do appologise for the usage of words like condition and associated words - it does make it sound terribly inhumane when really that's not the point i was trying to get across)
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Wantsajob..you could ask for feedback as to why you weren't offered the job and ask them to provide you with copies of CVs (personal information blocked out), copies of the questions asked of all candidates together with the scoring matrices. You could also ask for details (not the personal stuff where folks can be identified) of the person who actually go the job so you could see why they got it and what experience etc. that they had. I know about this because the Disability Rights Commission told me when I felt that I had been hard done by when I applied for a council job in London. The Disability Rights Commission is now the Equal Opportunities Commission.

Have you considered becoming self employed? Ask your DEA for help and you can see if self employment is right for you.

I can remember what it was like looking for work, I was made redundant from a Russells Group University in 2007 (I had been bullied within an inch of my life by my boss and his treatment of me exacerbated my eye disease which resulted in me having to have multiple operations), I was repeatedly told either a) you are too old b) you have no transferrable skills (this was because I had worked in various university departments for 12 years) and I am sure that on more than one occasion my disability was a hindrance notwithstanding the fact that I work harder than anyone else and havent had the eye condition all my life - I started losing my sight in 2003.

I love being self employed because I can work when I want and I can charge for my services for the most part I organise events for people but I do have a client that I work for for 8hrs a week doing admin work, I am also learning at the same time because his computers are far more advanced than my trusty old laptop.

I think I am right in saying that there is a young man who lives nr Bridgnorth, Shropshire who has Aspergers and he runs a successful chocolate business. If he can do it then so can you (you don't have to make chocolate you could do something else).
  • wantsajob
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    (i do appologise for the usage of words like condition and associated words - it does make it sound terribly inhumane when really that's not the point i was trying to get across)
    You ought to read Oliver Sacks - The Man who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, about a man with visual agnosia. Sacks uses words like Retard, Idiot, and Moron to refer to mental health conditions. Shows how attitudes have changed over the years :)
  • Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    out of interest what has happened to these voluntary places, did you leave or were they only for a fixed time or are you still doing any of them?
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bother, typed a long post and lost it because I got logged out on this computer!

Now can't remember all I said ...

That will teach me to burble on for so long!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport