Mistreated at job centre - filing a complaint.

Comments

• looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    GotNoMoney wrote: »

Then we all got asked if we want to do a job placement, I said yeah go on then and they rang the company up, but they didn't want to take anyone on (you know times are hard when you cannot even get on an UNPAID work placement lol) so then I got told I will be going back to signing on as normal, there's nothing they can do and to wait for them to send me out a new letter to restart the 4 week thing again.
    thats the problem I've been having too. I've tried loads of times to get a work placement so I've got some recent experience on my CV and you really can't give your time away right now. Even charities aren't taking on new volunteers round here because they can't afford the training/insurance :(
  • ironpetal
    ironpetal Posts: 107 Forumite
    Is this your personal advisor? She had no right to sit and humiliate you like this and if you were my daughter I would have been angry too.

Blind them with science. Get access to a computer and do your OWN job log. You dont have to use those pathetic books when there is no space to fit anything on anyway. When you produce your own job log they do not have the time to look through them or check on them because Ive tried it, (mine were HUGE HA HAHA) so she wont have time to point stuff out heheh. If they stop your benefits then tell them you will go to Tribunal and produce this job log to prove you are doing all you can to look for work. And then go to a Tribunal because they dont like complaints or Tribunals. Join every job website you can find or list every job website you find and just put them on your log and write something that you've registered with them and get email alerts and put something like the jobs are not suitable or they are in a different location or its self employed or you dont have the experience etc. And set them out on your job log. Just make sure you apply for any jobs they tell you to apply for. Make sure your !!! is covered everytime.

Be polite and dont antagonise remember they are just desk monkeys. If you throw a wobbler they will try anything to annoy you so they can sanction you and stop your benefits. You got to box clever. I had a different personal advisor everytime I went to sign on in my old JC I believe they were trying to antagonise me because they couldnt handle my job logs.

Ask for a different personal advisor because its a clash of personalities and or change your job centre because you can and not many people know this. My last one was like the gestapo.

REMEMBER all they are interested in is giving you a SANCTION they are not interested in helping you to find a job. They are all competing to get targets for the government. My last JC was the worst JC in the country. I had to do 18 actions a fortnight when I was there. In my new JC I only have to do 12. That is x6 a week.

Hope this helps.
    :D Advice freely given is rarely taken except on MSE:cool: Dont shoot the messenger:)
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What do you do on these things? This will be so damaging to my jobseeking I can't tell you! Does this mean I won't be searching for jobs all day, keeping my skills and industry language fresh, and most importantly making applications?
    i presume you are talking about while on work placement? you are expected to still do the necessary jobsearch. it does make it hard. if you get an interview you can have time off to go to it. you must tell them first of course. the placement is only for 4 weeks. so its not too bad unless of course your placement is a nightmare.
  • donnajunkie
    GotNoMoney wrote: »

The main reason I want to do the training at the place is because there is a lady working there (my "advisor") who I find irresistible, she is one of those women you'd never look twice at but when you do, well first off she had glasses on, but I can see beyond that, also she had no make up on, come on guys if a girl looks good without makeup on you KNOW she is gorgeous. She has just the right body and a cute a$$ etc... I think I need to get out more lol. Its awkward because I like her but I am "dole scum" in her eyes, dunno what she would want with a guy as poor as I am.

I keep forgetting but next time I will see if she has a wedding ring on, try to find her age out without it sounding too cheeky. It does my head in when this happens... I belong in a Mills & Boon novel. :rotfl:
    lol, yeah a hot bird can make a certain placement very appealing.
  • donnajunkie
    looby75 wrote: »
    thats the problem I've been having too. I've tried loads of times to get a work placement so I've got some recent experience on my CV and you really can't give your time away right now. Even charities aren't taking on new volunteers round here because they can't afford the training/insurance :(
    last week over 20 of us started construction training for our placement. there were also people starting on hairdressing, retail, catering, car mechanics and care work. so its quite bad when they cant find a proper placement for that number of people.
  • last week over 20 of us started construction training for our placement. there were also people starting on hairdressing, retail, catering, car mechanics and care work. so its quite bad when they cant find a proper placement for that number of people.

So regardless of my actual skills they could force me to retrain in any of these?
  • donnajunkie
    So regardless of my actual skills they could force me to retrain in any of these?
    that just happens to be what is available at our training centre. however yeah if they are struggling to find you something and if they had a training centre like ours then they could send you doing one of those things. a 4 week placement must be done during the 12 months on fnd and if they cant find anything you like then they will put you somewhere as tolerable as possible.
  • GotNoMoney
    GotNoMoney Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2011 at 12:55AM
    Not the case with me today, there were tons of other placements but they just ended up letting me go because no charity shops wanted me. There were all sorts of other placements I know that much, a huge list. What do I care, I don't want to do it. In fact I think god must be on my side because I was the only one that got sent home lol. They reckon 2 weeks until I start it again. :T

I really want to avoid a placement altogether and end up just getting that training in the place itself, firstly I get something else to put on my CV, secondly I know where it is already (last placement was about 7 miles away and 2 buses, a pain) and thirdly, well that foxy lady is there. On an external placement you could end up god knows where, which I hate. You seriously think I want to end up in some charity shop with a couple of old biddies serving old biddies all day?! I have nothing against old biddies, but its not my scene, I am under 35 myself.

LOL the last time around the most popular placement was at a graveyard! Thats because the guy there didn't care whether you even turned up, which seriously is the attitude I wish they would all take. They know you're working unpaid and against your will, Jesus.
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    I signed off on Friday nice 2 month contract £174pd when it ends I may rest again.......
  • LD_Ablo
    LD_Ablo Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2011 at 1:40AM
    Some of you people need to get off of your high horses and realise that this isn't the 70's anymore.
    You can't just walk from one job to another.
    You blame people for not trying and say they are just not wanting to work.
    BULL!

I've was made redundant last year. I have been on interviews, done more than is ever asked of me to look for work and yet I am still unemployed. I apply for jobs well below what I am used to. I apply for anything that says "training given". I apply for any job I think I stand a chance of getting.

But you know what?
    It's an employers market out there right now. They can pick and choose from HUNDREDS of applicants and choose the highest qualified for a small wage. So don't start judging everyone by your BS standards.
    There are those of us who desperately want to work and just aren't getting the breaks.
    You are as bad as the job centre employees who judge everyone the same. I go in there with my book bursting with ways I have tried finding work and am treated the same as the guy who barely tried at all.
    Fair? No.

I have just come off a workability course and will be going on to train for my SIA licence. I don't even want to work in security but, you know what? It's a job and it pays. Luckily there are plenty of security jobs in the area. I could have had a job already if the people at the job centre had done their job correctly in the first place and not told me I couldn't get the licence as the scheme had stopped when it hadn't. Is that my fault? I'm guessing you Daily Mail reading bunch will say it is my fault and I should have done the Job Centre employees job for them in finding out they were wrong.
    I asked about the course last year and was told it wasn't possible. How many other f*** ups due to the job centre's incapabilities to get a job right have cost people jobs?

I hope that you feel the pinch of the straining job market and are forced to swallow your words in the near future.
    You all need a hug dose of reality as, sitting in your ivory towers, you've lost touch with what is happening in the world.

Grow up and stop being so judgemental.

/Rant at narrow minded idiots.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family