Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion

Comments

• turnbull
    turnbull Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The Fee is totally outdated and should have gone a couple of decades ago.

They produce as much rubbish as ITV and Channel 4 these days.

If they were more realistic with their spending, cut back some of the costly services and the fee was say £50 a year, I think I'd be content, but at about £140 odd, it has to go.

Has anyone thought of starting an online petition on the PM website and making a national campaign of this?
  • planenut
    planenut Posts: 41 Forumite
    The licence fee is worth it for the above, but almost as importantly, to avoid the wall-to-wall dodgy phone-ins, reality shows and credit company adverts.

Blue Peter anybody?

When the licence chaser pestered me after I had not used the set for over a year and therefore not relicensed, he told me that a computer would also count as a receiver.
  • GamePlayer
    GamePlayer Posts: 16 Forumite
    tillboy wrote: »
    In addition to the above two dedicated childrens channels with high quality programmes in English with no adverts for my 3 year old to watch makes this more than worth the money for me!

While there is an argument that some people may believe it is worth the price. There can be no justification for it being compulsory.

My biggest gripe is how they attack parents through the children going to University.
    Remember the (BBC) adverts implying that the parents get a £1k fine for the kids at university watching tv without a license. Actually the kids are fined but it is clear that the parents get the bill. Also as they can no way afford to pay such a high price for the license, the advert directly used scare tactics to force the parents to pay the license. The company is immoral, more like gangsters than a business.

We should have a choice, if we don't want to watch BBC we shouldn't be forced to pay the license.
    We should be allowed to watch non BBC transmissions without paying a license for the BBC.
  • GamePlayer
    GamePlayer Posts: 16 Forumite
    turnbull wrote: »
    The Fee is totally outdated and should have gone a couple of decades ago.

They produce as much rubbish as ITV and Channel 4 these days.

If they were more realistic with their spending, cut back some of the costly services and the fee was say £50 a year, I think I'd be content, but at about £140 odd, it has to go.

Has anyone thought of starting an online petition on the PM website and making a national campaign of this?

I agree with this sentiment. They keep expanding their empire with more services and asking for more money from license payers to subsidise them.

While I think it is important to have a non commercial station it should be on a much smaller scale than the BBC and much cheaper.

Also, are they really independant, or would the chairman have to resign if they upset the government.
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think the BBC is great but I agree they should cut back a bit and reduce the licence fee to a more reasonable amount.

Maybe they could start with Jonathan Ross's multi-million pound salary. I like his show, but I'd happily watch it on ITV if it saved a few quid.

The Beeb should stick to the stuff no one else does...can't imagine ITV doing anything as quality as Planet Earth etc.
  • ootoobeah
    ootoobeah Posts: 33 Forumite
    Why should the BBC have the right to make us pay to watch tv? Fair enough if they want to charge us to watch BBC like other channels do, but at least the other channels give us the option. The majority of the tv I watch is recorded anyway so I can fast forward through the adverts so BBC has no benefit to me. If it's the case that I could no longer watch EastEnders to save me almost £140 per year then so be it!
  • impy78
    impy78 Posts: 3,157 Forumite
    As an actor, I've probably got a stilted view on this, but I do think that the licence fee is worth it. However, I don't necessarily agree with the way the BBC uses it.

For instance; the government cuts the TV licence fee to under the rate of inflation for the next five years. the BBC responds by saying it will have to make cuts. Will this be to the big stars salaries or the executives, the shareholders et al? Of course not, it will be at the expense of those lower down the food chain.

I do think it is a big insult to the public when they see that Jonothan Ross has been paid that amount by the BBC, but he won't be receiving as much as the execs and their chums.

I do think that The licence fee IS worth it though for the sheer range of programmes that the BBC produces, top notch comedy both on the main channels and the freeview channels (The Mighty Boosh, Monkeydust, Roman's Empire, The Smoking Room, etc etc), Great documentaries such as Planet Earth, dramas, current affairs etc etc.

I do think their programmes are of a higher quality than ITV or Channel 5 and satellite channels. I can't think of anything worse than an evening of ITV television to be honest. And at least the content of their programmes I not affected by their "sponsors", or companies buying advertising space unlike the other channels.

However, I do think they could do less splashing of their cash so publicly and maybe be a little quicker improving their coverage, and maybe even supplying subsidised freeview boxes so more people can receive the extra channels.

Also you pay when you go to the cinema, the theatre, a concert, so why not when you watch a programme that has taken just as much effort to be produced?

The BBC has not forced anyone to go out and buy a TV to the best of my knowledge.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • The worst thing the BBC does - and sometimes it looks like it's the only thing it does - is copy everything the commercial channels do.

That includes the dodgy phone-ins.

I don't want to find myself changing over from the live Toilet Cam on a commercial channel only to find the BBC showing Toilet Academy as a Public Service alternative. You know?
  • Does Martin get paid by the BBC for his appearances? If so, his site has technically started a debate about whether one of his employers should remain in business!

:money:
    Next post follows in a moment ...
  • I think I would agree with the Government's line that the licence fee is "the least worst way of funding the BBC".

Also it is worth noting that the licence fee doesn't go entirely to the BBC. It also pays for the production (indirectly) of a lot of the welsh language programmes on channels such as S4C. In 2006 it was also agreed that the fee would be used to pay for the cost of channel 4 switching over to digital TV as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure