Great 'Extreme couponing UK' Hunt - tell us your tips and tales

Comments

• Another point to consider is will you actually *use* the items that the coupons are for? Because there's no point in buying groceries just because they're cheap.
    Yeah recently another thread was talking about some greedy little piggy buying 30 bags of apples. Some couponers take it to strange levels.

The biggest thing I have in bulk is 140 boxes of cotton buds. I use them frequently (a box a week), they last decades and the price always goes up, so I get as many as I can whenever a deal arises.
    The UK will never be as good at couponning as the US as UK supermarkets hate coupons.
    We need to try and get this changed rather than just accept this as the way things are. If any supermarket would listen to concerns over curbed coupon usage it would doubtless be the co-operative stores.

:xmastree:
  • Sorry if stating the obvious, but the self serves tills are great for using coupons, especially the self printed ones which seem to confuse the staff no end. Also useful for the timid coupon user :o)
  • Xyon81
    Xyon81 Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Another point to consider is will you actually *use* the items that the coupons are for? Because there's no point in buying groceries just because they're cheap.

Fair enough, some staples like toiletries etc. will often work out as a great deal (and will last for ages), but how much room does the average person have for bottles of mouthwash, hair gel and shampoo? I watched an episode of Wipeswap USA (very classy I know, think I was hungover) and one sad sack couponer had a garage half full of toiletries, but looked like she barely even bothered to brush her hair of a morning! :p

Also worth noting that many coupons are for pre-processed/junk food. While there's nothing wrong with having a few frozen pizzas or whatever on standby for when you're absolutely nackered, you don't want your entire diet to consist of white flour and preservatives. There's also no point in buying unhealthy food just because it's cheap - you only get one body!

Yeh i like the tips make sure you can use it or at least use it before it expires. and make sure you have room in your house!!
  • punkpink
    punkpink Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    I just watched a couple of episodes of the 1st series (missed it the first time) and i watched one woman split her shopping into 18 different transactions so as to maximise her savings. Would any one in the UK do the same? I feel bad enough when i get a grumpy look from a cashier as a say 'the next one is mine too'!
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    punkpink wrote: »
    Would any one in the UK do the same? I feel bad enough when i get a grumpy look from a cashier as a say 'the next one is mine too'!
    From the sounds of things 'coupon culture' is completely different in the US and cashiers expect a more frequent use of them. Perhaps if supermarkets had policies similar to those in America we might feel more comfortable using far more.

Coupon policies must be seriously laid back over there, my folks used to deliver the local free paper and occasionally there'd be free coupons to slot inside so any spares we got to keep but most shops only accepted 3 in any one VISIT (not per transaction, per visit to the shop!) so it's far more difficult to maximise savings with them here.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've tried using coupons at the self serve till in Tesco and the automatic voice kept on requiring an assistant. In the end someone came over and just checked all my coupons through for me so although initially slightly embarassing I did end up with my shopping being processed more quickly than usual as the self serve tills always seem to have a fairly senior or at least experienced member of staff to help out
  • Seakay wrote: »
    I've tried using coupons at the self serve till in Tesco and the automatic voice kept on requiring an assistant.

Same thing at Asda diy tills, but no hassle from staff so nice and easy.
  • Using coupons is getting more and more difficult in the UK. My local tesco has decided to have a 3 identical coupons policy, so even if you buy 10 products you can only use 3 coupons agains them. (original coupons or internet ones, not copies btw)

There are also some supermarkets that won't accept internet coupons at all.

The UK will never be as good at couponning as the US as UK supermarkets hate coupons.

CWxx
    i just been to my tesco and used 14 of the same coupon for aunt bessies they had no prob they all went threw ok x but some of then they say only 3
  • jtz
    jtz Posts: 1,423 Forumite
    Wow, after watching the clips, I'd be amazed to see any Tesco trouts processing even a quarter amount the coupons used in those clips!
    All the clips showed, very friendly staff and not once did they say anything like, sorry we don't accept so many coupons, one per transaction e.t.c, even when a problem did occur, the manager was so quick to solve it!
    Imagine DTDing in the US!
  • just been to my local tesco they have a note on the wall saying coupons from supersavvy are excepted which was nice to hear sainsburys also have in they last month magazine to join supersavvy to so im hoping that the uk will except that we want to coupon and why not times are hard ive had a few grumpy looks though but i take a deep breath and hand my coupons over gl to all who is useing coupons xx:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure