Can't pay and been told account has to be in arrears before I can do anything about i

Hi.
Hoping I can pick your brains on something please.
Cutting a very long story short, husband has left me and kids, I called Very to let them know that I won't be able to pay them full amounts for foreseeable future and could they help at all with a lower payment plan (freezing interest etc)
I was told there's nothing they can do until the account is in arrears.
Is this right? Surely contacting them and sorting something before it gets to that point is better?
I'm going to be due to pay £230 by the 5th of this month.
Thanks in advance, as I may not get straight back to reply, but will check back asap.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,831 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,
    Yes unfortunately that is correct. Until you actually break the terms of your agreement, for example, by missing a couple of payments, they cant do anything.
    Once you have missed at least 2-3 payments, you will be contacted by there collections team, they may then agree to an arrangement with you.
    Before then you are likely just to be asked for the outstanding missed payments.
    Very(shop direct group) are not well known for affordable re-payment plans, if its going to be a long term problem, you may be better off waiting until the debt is sold on, which can take months.
    Depends on your situation, and if you have other debts etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks for confirming it.
    Still think it's a madness way to do things *sigh*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family