ssp any extra help

I am sure this may have been asked before, I am currently on ssp of £85 a week following a fall backwards down my stairs then compounding damage to my back from that fall by slipping on the ice a week later when posting sick note to work, I have been off work approx 2 months now and not sure when dr will pass me fit to go back to work.

Is there any help I can get on top of ssp to get me through this hopefully short period as beginning to worry about money or lack of it to cover the bills and I do not have many other than utilities and mortgage and of course dreadful habit of eating - which I am trying to curtail plus my car which with out which I cannot get around at the moment, all beit very short journys as cannot sit for too long.

I have tried the gov site calculator and find the whole thing confusing,
I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.

Comments

• Try putting in your details at the Turn to us site
    Someone will be along to help.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    turn to us says only council tax - already paid all this years and government site says may be able to claim working tax credit ? confused
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    technically youre employed, so youre working.
    women on maternity leave can still claim wtc.
    how much have you earnt this tax year>
    do you have a working partner?
  • lemontart
    nannytone wrote: »
    technically youre employed, so youre working.
    women on maternity leave can still claim wtc.
    how much have you earnt this tax year>
    do you have a working partner?

defo not pregnant no partner working or other wise, put same figures into both and got different answers. Do not get sick pay off work so get ssp via them monthly at mo.

I am carer, just about managing to look after me at mo though, as well but know do not qualify for anything - just concerned that if off much longer things are going to get difficult. Will give them a call probably easier that way.
  • Make a claim for Income Support, your condition of entitlement is your SSP, doesn't matter if it is paid monthly You may not be entitled to a payment of I.S but because your have a mortgage you will get some help with that.
    If you have been on S.S.P for over thirteen weeks you should qualify straight away for help.
    You may be entitled to CTB, if awarded I.S you should get CTB and it doesn't matter if you have paid this years they should credit you on next years bill, they did this for a friend...
    Phone and apply....
  • I concur with everything Mikey bach has said. Even though you have fully paid up the CT this year, they can adjust this years to be credited against the new years bill. So fill out the form and apply for it. You mentioned being a carer - do you get the allowance at all? If not does the person you care for get mid/high rate DLA - that enables them to claim for a carer or could you claim it and get the underlying benefit of £32.60/week? I do not know all the in's and outs but someone who does will come along and give better advice.
  • fluffymovie
    fluffymovie Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to re-iterate, Council Tax is payable over 10 months but the charge covers 12 months so if you claimed now, you may be entitled to some benefit for the period now until 31.03.2013.

As you have paid in full, you would then be in credit and you can ask them to reduce next years bill by adding this credit to your account, or you can ask for it to come back to you in the way you pay, direct debit etc!
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    mikey_bach wrote: »
    Make a claim for Income Support, your condition of entitlement is your SSP, doesn't matter if it is paid monthly You may not be entitled to a payment of I.S but because your have a mortgage you will get some help with that.
    If you have been on S.S.P for over thirteen weeks you should qualify straight away for help.
    You may be entitled to CTB, if awarded I.S you should get CTB and it doesn't matter if you have paid this years they should credit you on next years bill, they did this for a friend...
    Phone and apply....
    ^^ This.

CTB should be able to get refund of the overpayment (if already paid)
  • lemontart
    thank you for all the replies , been on ssp nearly 8 weeks if goes to 13 I will apply for income support though I believe will be universal credit by then, Have applied for council tax relief so will wait for that to come through.

I was earning too much to claim for carers before my fall. Just got payslip through 354 to last the month. Lucky for me several years of visiting site have instilled the benefits of living frugally.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Do you get any DLA?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills