Coal prices

I know, i know. Burning coal is a big no-no today in this environmentally friendly world we now live so at the risk of incurring some wrath, i'd like to know how much coal is per 50kg? I Live in Kent.. The best prices i found so far are £55.50 for 3cwt (50kg) delivered! Bloody expensive isn't it? Is that the going rate now?:confused:
"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,849
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It had better not have gone up to £55 for 50kg! I bought mine at the summer prices (only a small discount) and paid £12.15 for 50kg! I was warned it was going up after, but not by that much (also in Kent, by the way).

An online check suggests CPL is charging £16.75 for standard housecoal, so whoever is trying to charge you £55 needs locking up!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I think the OP said £55.50 for 3cwt (i.e. a cwt = 55kg so 3 x 55kg)
  • dooby
    dooby Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Mines just gone up from £15.50 for a 50kg bag to £18 a bag.

We're using approx a bag a week plus wood but we scavenge the wood.
  • A._Badger
    Forumite
    That'll teach me to read and post when I'm not wearing my glasses! Mind you, even re-reading the post, I'm confused by what he's saying.

Either way £18.50 per 50kg bag (and he does mention 50kg, so I assume he means that size bag, as it's what open sacks contain these days) is excessive. That CPL price is online (website easy to find via Google) and includes delivery, but a local coal merchant should be able to beat it.
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    That'll teach me to read and post when I'm not wearing my glasses! Mind you, even re-reading the post, I'm confused by what he's saying.

Either way £18.50 per 50kg bag (and he does mention 50kg, so I assume he means that size bag, as it's what open sacks contain these days) is excessive. That CPL price is online (website easy to find via Google) and includes delivery, but a local coal merchant should be able to beat it.

Sorry, my post wasn't clear at all. Yes i mean £55.50 for 150kg delivered or 3cwt. Typo, i forgot the 1!!!

Thanks for the replies!!
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• A._Badger
    Forumite
    Ah! Glad we sorted that out. It's certainly worth Googling (or using yell.com) to find a few local coal merchants and seeing if they can better that price. Good luck!
  • We are paying £12 per bag for smokeless briquettes here in the N.E.
  • Snow_Dog
    Snow_Dog Posts: 690
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    £6.00 per 25kg bag (thats buying 1 metric ton, 40 bags, and then sharing it out amongst relatives who also burn coal).

Thats in East Dorset.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    £15.50 for smokeless eggs here.
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Oh help - this is completely new to me. DH & I moved into this property this summer- it has gas central heating, but the living room is always quite chilly. We have an open fireplace which we were hoping we could use to help keep the living room warmer. There is a iron grate thing (yes, my technical terms) that I understand we can use to put either coal or wood in. So... here's the stupid questions:
    - which is less expensive?
    - are we allowed to burn either? (laws being what they are)
    - how do you know where to get the stuff to burn - wood/coal - and how to know what you're getting is a good price?
    - can we use the smokeless fuels in it that we saw at B&Q ? is that economical?
    - where in heaven's name do you store yours if you use it?? (we have toddlers in the house and obviously don't want them trying to eat coal)

any opinions, suggestions, and such would be appreciated.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family