PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Double boiler substitute?

Options
I would love a double boiler pan but do not have the storage place to add anything else to my kitchen equipment. So I was wondering if it is possible to utilise what I have...eg steamer pan with lid or large saucepan with bowl and lid ? Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated
People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali

Comments

• FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes--although what you use depends on what you have and what you're trying to put in it. I've used various combinations of saucepans/milk pans and for awhile even a pyrex bowl in a milk pan. Obviously be careful and ensure whatever you use is fine to be heated that much and that you can remove it without burning yourself.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just put a glass pyrex bowl (the type which are oven safe) on a pan of simmering water - with a gap so that the bowl isn't sitting in the water, just being heated by the steam. A metal bowl would work too, probably be a bit quicker to heat as well, but pyrex glass is fine and you quite likely already have one anyway.
  • rosalie-lavender
    Options
    I am lucky enough to have a separate insert for my steamer set that I use for food. When I want to melt wax though, I use an old metal dog bowl on top of the largest pan.

I am not suggesting you use an old dog bowl, but you might find a new one in a pet shop that fits your needs if you can't find anything suitable anywhere else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure