PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Comments

• Arty, I`m sorry I had to chuckle at your shower cap - but have you thought of using something like tent fabric or kagoul (sp?) type fabric? There`s stuff called `rip stop` fabric that`s not thick and clunky, I`ve had some in remnant packs but Abakhan also do it by the meter - look online, they`ve got some from £2.99 per meter.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yes rip stop would work nicely I think!
    The thing is though, in my mind this would be a great way of using up my pretty remnants. In reality, it take a quite a bit of fabric and is far short of pretty looking!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Is there anyone on this forum who is near to Bromley in Kent and wants to join a sewing club?
  • Sorry - would love to join a sewing club, but nowhere near Bromley.

Day 2 of the overlocker course yesterday, and it was mostly putting into action what we'd learned last week. I ended the day with a completed pair of jogging bottoms, not perfect but they're not something I'd wear outside the house, they're fine for lounging on the sofa.

Things I learned this week: a lot of it is technique, the tutor could sew a perfect seam on the same stitch setting while mine was a bit wobbly. And although I can sew a straight line on my sewing machine with ease, I'm not so accurate on the overlocker, more practice needed. As well as overlocking the seams we learned to use a twin needle on a sewing machine to finish a hem, that's something I've never tried before but I'll be buying a twin needle now.

So, lots of practice needed, the only problem now is finding enough time! What's everyone else up to?
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Artytarty
    A few years ago I bought two meters of very expensive silk charmeuse with a sort of Monet style watercolour print of lilies and water, quite abstract, veryretty. It cost a small fortune and I was never quite sure what to do with it.had enough for a dres. But eventually decided I'd get more wear form a skirt.
    So I have made it into a ballet length softly pleated skirt with a wide waistband. It looks pretty good I think.
    I plan on wearing it with a close fitting top of some sort, plain of course to a friends sons engagement party.

I'm going to. Make another piece if grey, mint green and pale blue floral silk j it a short top to go over my new ankle length trousers.
    Nearly all my tops are hip length and don't look right with the shorter length.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    your clothes sound very nice arty. Wd for always thinking outside the box and having a go

Yesterday I quickly took up six pairs of trousers, I know they were too long because I was walking on them. Luckily five were fine with black thread and I used the overlocker for first stage, then I needed fawn and I could not get that new thread through the lower looper, arghh, I even bent my long and impossible to replace, babylock wire threader. I didn`t give up, the repair place is a long way away and the machine is far too heavy for me to carry any distance. I had a good look inside, worked out that the lower looper was blocked at the looper bit and decided that it was worth me having a go with a screwdriver. Took out 4 screws and 4 parts, last was the looper, the tube into it was only about 2mm diameter. I poked and poked with the looper wire and eventually a very tight blockage popped out, it looked like a micro cork but was packed up thread

Got it back together with fingers crossed and then blew compressed air into it to clean it, air did a great job. Turned it on its side and undid the 4 screws on the base, took it off and gave it all a good vacuum with a micro tool, taking all the blown fluff out. Tested it slowly with the handwheel and then the foot pedal and then fabric, wowee it was good and the thread threaded through to the loopers easily. I even managed to release the blade, which had been sticking a bit in the locked position. :D I must say that I was ecstatic, the fact that I did not have to go anywhere, that I saved at least £30 probably more and that I thoroughly cleaned my machine. Babylock never need oiling btw and I now have confidence in changing my blade if ever needed

Maybe tomorrow I will finally finish my fleece bodywarmer. The zip is in, just got to put the hood in and tidy up the raw edges. Then sewing will have to take a back seat, the allotment is getting lively, I have knitting to finish and wood carving to work on.
  • Artytarty
    Good job Kittie! I reckon fleece fabric makes a lot of fluff inside the machine.
    I did a similar but not so impressive job on my Janome sewing machine. Took off needle plate to,change to the fine hole one for themsilk, accidentally removed the wheel racenfor the bobbin and found loads of lurking threads and a bog clump of fluff that had turned to felt. Most satisfying!
  • Interesting - my overlocker manual says it needs oiling more often than a normal sewing machine. The tutor at the class I've just done advised us not to oil at all, she said it's not necessary and the oil will get on your fabric.

They certainly do create a lot of fluff and dust, I'm a bit scared to hoover mine in case anything falls off! :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    arty I don`t use the overlocker for fleece, it only needs a zig zag to hold seams together to get a tidy thinner effect and my sewing machine does that.

Polly do you oil underneath ie after taking the bottom plate off, when the machine is on its side. I think that is where the oil is needed most of all. I don`t see that oil will get on the fabric as you are only going to oil moving parts lower than the fabric. Some would need oiling, I am sure
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just wanted to say thanks to Kittie on this thread for writing how to sew stretch fabrics with the proper needle and thread.
    I bought a jumpsuit made from stretchy fabric and the legs was so wide and decided to make the legs less wide but I would have just used normal needle and normal cotton. Kittie said to use rounded end needle and zig zag stitch and it has come out perfect.
    Thank you Kittie
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure