Keeping Motivated During Debt Free Journey

Comments

• I read something recently that really struck a cord with me, to do with a "Not buying anything new for a year" challenge that I have embarked on 3 months ago, but applies equally to getting out of debt. It was this:

The key is to find a different way of living your life that appeals and brings you joy rather than trying to live your old lifestyle for less.

For me this has summed up why I embarked on this challenge. Over 3 months it has changed my outlook on life and I honestly feel very happy and content with my life now. I've also given up regular tv, I don't read magazines as I found they made me feel slightly dissatisfied and I always ended up purchasing new clothes/the next best beauty product etc. Living without marketing being forced on me on a daily basis I have had time to work out what's important to me and what I want to do with my time & disposable income, rather than being on a merry go round of mindlessly spending my time and cash on things that don't in reality bring me joy or contentment.

I think if you can work this out then it doesn't feel like a sacrifice at all, in fact the opposite
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks all, good to know you think I'm heading in the right direction. I always though I was in the past but my debt kept going up! But now it's going down and I'm learning to spend less.

I have decided to put off some purchases, like I really wanted a new phone as mine doesn't have enough storage, but I guess I can live with this phone, it's still a good phone and earlier this year I replaced the battery in my iPhone 5 to extend its life as the battery life was terrible!

I'm just hoping my work contract is extended or I get a job straight after it. My contract runs out end of November and that's the hard time of year to find a job! Or I'll be digging into my emergency fund!

The don't buy anything new for a year is interesting, not sure how successful I'll be as you never know when things will break or you desperately need something. Like right now I really want a new bookcase as mine's falling apart. There's always something I want, I don't automatically buy it now like I used to!

I understand about the snowballing and getting everything on 0%, but some of the % deals I get have a 4% fee, so I can't work out if it's cheaper to keep it on 4.9% interest for the year or the pay the 4% fee.
    I will concentrate on the Halifax, I'm already paying extra on my fixed monthly payments - £60 instead of 1% (£25ish). If I pay this off then I have more balance to do a balance transfer for my later cards like Barclaycard as Halifax have the best deals.

Do you think it's worth closing down my Natwest credit card since they only offer a rubbish 6.9% life of balance with a fee? So if I want to apply for a new card in the future I have a better chance? My debt to available credit ratio is still good without it. I won't be applying for another card until next year as I have about 3 credit searches in the past 3 months (one was my HSBC CC).
  • Sharon87
    Yay Tesco are offering a 0% deal till April 2018. I will put a bit of my 4.9% debt into there. Just what I think I will pay off on it as its a 2.99% fee.

So maybe £500. At £25 a month for the direct debit that will pay almost all of it off.

Also I've been earning cashback by booking hotels and car hire at work and the first of those are confirmed! So that's another £40 coming to me soon! That will go towards my Halifax or my emergency savings I haven't decided yet!
  • Sharon87
    So I've taken the advice of some of the people here.

I have done a new balance transfer to pay off some of the MBNA 4.9% card. I had a 15 months at 1.5% fee (3% originally, then a 1.5% refund) with Halifax.

So I've done a £2000 balance transfer. Now I only have £2002 on 4.9% now. I am debating whether to use my Barclaycard to transfer another £1800 to MBNA but it's a 3.5% fee until 1st December 2017. I might need to save that for my Halifax transfers that expire in the new year! But then again MBNA are offering a similar deal (on money transfers not balance transfers) so I could use that instead.

Too many balance transfers going on. I have a spreadsheet to keep on top of things and update it each month so I know when things expire. I did have one money transfer expire a while back and I was paying 20.9% on it for a few months!

I have an expensive month next month - need to buy new household things with my housemate moving out, as well as things that are long overdue (new pillows, new book case - the other one is falling apart).

Need to keep motivated and not spend money. I have overspent a bit this month, but not so much I spent more than I earned, just overspent what I budgeted! My downfalls appear to be eating out! I spent £122 on restaurants/takeaways (including going out at lunch), I budgeted for £60! I need to start keeping 'easy meals' in my freezer like pizza, otherwise I spend £17 on a takeaway instead of a £1-£3 pizza!
  • Sharon87
    My motivation for debt free is slipping a bit. So with the cashback I've earned booking hotels and flights and car hire for work I decided to book a short getaway. I also managed to use 3 free hotels.com nights we earned at work (with my boss's permission) for my hotel! I sometimes get S.A.D during winter so I'm going Gran Canaria for 3 nights - at a cost of £192 plus spending money (maybe £150-£200 depending on exchange rate!!) I've earned over £800 in cashback at work, some of it has been confirmed and paid already, most of it I'm waiting for it. So I used my 'emergency/holiday' fund to pay that so far.

I know it's not helping my debt free journey as that money could go on credit cards, but it'll help me mentally and that's more important, as a relaxed mind means everything else will fall into place and I'm not getting into further debt by going on this holiday either.

Another reason for booking it is my work contract got extended, so I have work up until the new year now.

I'm starting to learn to live within my means, not spending money on useless things like DVDs/takeaways and sticking to my budget for things like food and clothes.

Now today's job is tidy the house, then get started on my self assessment so I know how much extra tax I might need to pay in January...
  • Sharon87
    I've been transferring my MBNA to other 0% deals, Halifax offered me one for 24 months! But I didn't have any credit limit left, so I applied for an increase and got one! Not as much as I would like, but I managed to transfer another £500 to it.

Good to know my credit rating is still good! And clearing my MBNA means they will probably offer me more 0% deals when I need them in a few months when a couple of 0% deals expire.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Good that you are living within your income now but I would strongly recommend you get rid of some of those credit cards. 7 is a lot and won't help your credit rating and also puts too much temptation in your way particularly as you appear to be in quite insecure employment. I would close both the Tesco and Nat West one. What does the Halifax interest go to in January when the 0% deal runs out?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sharon87
    I now have transferred £600 on the Tesco card now - a new 0% deal, so can't close that. I don't actually know any of my card's pins anymore so can't spend on them in shops at least!

I'm good at not spending on my credit cards now, I haven't actually spent on a credit card in over a year! But I did have to transfer money to a card from an overdraft (which is now reduced to only £100 for emergency)

Halifax interest is 15.9%, but I always get 0% deals on my MBNA and Barclaycard, so once the first deal expires (will be about £1100) I can transfer it.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Look on your local freecycle for bookcases, or facebook selling pages, or ebay. You can pick up cheap or free ones, and if you're at all diy handy, borrow a drill and some screws and reinforce it.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    So, have you got everything on 0% now? I can't keep up! What's the current target sum/ card. Set yourself some targets so you can start to achieve them, that's always key to motivation. Are you able to do some calculations to see how all this shuffling has impacted your DFD?
    Finally, I find a light alarm clock and a light box really help my SAD, for less than the price of a holiday!
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills