Does a credit company need to show you how they calculated your interest?

I just got my latest statement through from my Next store card credit account. This past month I paid off over £500 which was half of my balance, yet my interest is still higher than last month's! How is this possible? My payment was on the day that I received my last statement, exactly a month ago today, so it's not like I was paying interest on a large amount until just before this statement. I expected my interest to be about halved, not to have increased!
Any advice please because this just does not seem right to me!
Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You're charged interest on a daily basis, on the amount outstanding. You were accruing interest on a large amount until you made a payment - which some time after the statement was produced.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    jesswells wrote: »
    I just got my latest statement through from my Next store card credit account. This past month I paid off over £500 which was half of my balance, yet my interest is still higher than last month's! How is this possible? My payment was on the day that I received my last statement, exactly a month ago today, so it's not like I was paying interest on a large amount until just before this statement. I expected my interest to be about halved, not to have increased!
    Any advice please because this just does not seem right to me!
    Thank you
    You paid your £500 close to the due date and there were more days in the billing period.

Enjoy less interest on the next statement.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    If you don't want statements showing large amounts of interest, don't use a store card of any description, they are a rip off.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Or pay it off in full
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• I paid the £500 the day of my last statement, one month ago today. My current statement was dated today so I should have been paying a lot less interest for a month exactly, the whole of the current statement period. I just want to know if I can get them to tell me exactly how they calculated the interest?
  • If you don't want statements showing large amounts of interest, don't use a store card of any description, they are a rip off.

Thanks for the helpful advice.
  • I was under the impression that interest is calculated based on your current balance at the time the statement is generated so if you paid that money off in plenty of time before your statement is produced they would calculate interest based on the balance left. I work in a department store and that's how ours work.
    Give them a call they will tell you how it's calculated, I called capital one once with a similar query and they spoke openly to me
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    See post 2.

Interest is calculated daily. Not on the balance remaining after a payment
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you don't want statements showing large amounts of interest, don't use a store card of any description, they are a rip off.
    Exactly right. Credit cards can be at 0% but store cards seem to go upwards from 29% and the staff earn commission from flogging them.

The guy trying to sell me one seemed to think I would be more interested in being able to get it in pink than the APR.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    jesswells wrote: »
    I paid the £500 the day of my last statement, one month ago today. My current statement was dated today so I should have been paying a lot less interest for a month exactly, the whole of the current statement period. I just want to know if I can get them to tell me exactly how they calculated the interest?
    You ask them "please can you explain how you have calculated the interest" and take it from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure