Likely cost of removing Structural Chimney breast and wall?

Q to builders and structural engineer types on anyone who has done similar.

We are looking to buy a house with a slightly unusual layout. It's a 1950s ex council and dividing the lounge and dining room is a Chimney breast plus structural wall. It's open at both ends so you can walk between the rooms. The chimney is basically slap bang in the middle of the house and still functional. We were wondering potential ballpark costs to remove this and put in place some other form of steel support. Doing so would open up the room.

Approx width of the room is 5.8M but wall to wall inc under stairs probably about 7.5M

Layout a bit like:

|
| .......Dining |
|
| gap --Chim+wall- gap-|
| |
| .......Lounge........................ |Stairs
|
|
|
|
FDoor|

As a new user I can post with links

Simon

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You will need Calculations from a Structural Engineer (£400) as well as building regulations (£200). Anything between £3000 and £6000. Remember its not just the chimney. Its new ceilings, flooring etc.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Thanks Phill99, I wasn't sure what route they would go down, removal of whole chimney stack or just removal of the ground floor and blocking up/supporting steels.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Phill99, I wasn't sure what route they would go down, removal of whole chimney stack or just removal of the ground floor and blocking up/supporting steels.

If you can afford it, take out the whole thing upstairs and downstairs. I had a downstairs chimney removed in the kitchen and so wish we had done upstairs too. It's not even very big upstairs but it irks me everytime i see it.

Yet to remove the other chimney and stack in other side of house. So much mess.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family