We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Comments

• rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I suppose I should be glad that it's been so cold and w t and miserable recently as I have almost finished my accounts. Given that last year I go them to my accountant with about a week to go before the deadline, I am extremely pleased that I will have them to him nearly two months in advance.

All I need now is some equally !!!! weather for the next two weeks and I may even get totally up to date - I mean, like totally up to date like I haven't been since the twins were born - I don't think I'll know what to do with myself but since we have to start finding builders and tendering, I think I know what I will be doing. :o

Does anyone have any gems of wisdom on tendering? I currently have a list of about ten builders and their telephone numbers. One consistently comes with rave reviews for his work but "likes the pop" as someone said, and another handful who aren't recommended by the architect but, as he described it, "have never caused him any complaint". What do you think about the builders who are raved about by some customers and slated by others? It's confusing iawn for an incomer like me.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837
    First Post
    Forumite
    rozee....... i think if work has been done locally, knock the door and ask? you will know what you are looking for...total/big alterations/extensions....not just a fitted kitchen;)
    walk round outside to see things like guttering/downpipes/drains. you would be surprised how bad some are but then again how good others are. small but important ...
    builders can hide a multitude of sins but the best reference is YOUR OWN EYES...:D

could LIR's builders work in your direction...they sound good !
    if they are willing to travel... if they had a likkle caravan they could be there on site ??
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    About half the village are builders! There's no shortage, it's just making sure we get someone competent we can get on with. Deffo intend to go round and see more than one example of work done by anyone we employ, and big enough jobs. We're having a large extension, dormer, storm porch and loft conversion done, in addition to any updating of the sytems such as electrics and heating, so it's a big job.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Rozzee...
    Look and then have a site pretender meeting with the ones you short list, see how you gel with them

Our builder is full of energy and drive and that works well with us as he drives the project forward.

Longterm, easy to get on with is vital IMO. These people are near you and in your space...fiery tempers or sour nature is not good and good attire is underrated.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think with builders it says a lot if they've been builders for a few decades at least. The best ones are ones who have always been builders & not just started up a few years or worse a few months back. Experience is all. Also ones who are busy are usually ones that are good. Recommendations by locals is a good thing to go with.

Really cold old day with the sun now not hitting the croft so really makes a chilling difference.

My beautiful Cross Shetland Tear - she is like a huge Shetland with a dark tear shaped mark below one eye. She has/had silly bud horns. She's knocked one off ( this is a common problem) at the trough & there was blood everywhere. Not a lot I can do but check it tomorrow. They do seem to bleed badly. Less worrying now rather than in the Summer when there's loads of flies about.

Very slippy underfoot as the little snow we got has frozen solid. Managed to get the car up to the road, but the roads are bad - again. Don't know when we can get the cladding in as the weather is just not helpful.

I go into semi-hibernation when it's so cold & so do the cats - well the cats seem to be in a permanent comatose state until you try and sleep & then they're on your throat purring their heads off, drooling onto your face...........
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837
    First Post
    Forumite
    MOTTO FOR TOMOROW.....

IT MUST ONLY GET BETTER....:D:D:D

NEW DAY, NEW MAN [HAHA],LOTTERY WIN...??

:rotfl::rotfl:
  • Rozee I went to one of the well known local builders for a quote and advice;) etc, and i didnt like his attitude and advice when it came to doing owrk at the ranch... but yet he has been doing it for years.

There is also another way of looking at it, if you employ a local to do your work, then if there is a clash of personalities, or if you are not happy with their work etc, then being a close knit community, and you not being a local yourself, then you could end up with some gossip going round the village etc..

so sometimes it could be a good thing all round if you have a builder not to close to home so to speak..

Funny enough I was thinking on the same lines as you Alfie about LIR's builders.... as I dont think I have ever read her grumbling about their work, manners, etc...

but good luck Rozee, its a minefield out there...trying to get/pick the right builder
    Work to live= not live to work
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Ctc, my builders have excellent manners and behaviour. They have apologised to me for swearing ( I am familiar with words that would make their hair girl, and two of them have no hair). They like the radio on and they like to sing along with it. I think this would annoy some peoplpe but not me, they are happy and laughing while they work, at a tremendous rate, and there has been remarkably little tension on site. There was one afternoon where we wanted different things and it was a serious talk, but they have been the perfect balance of 'the client is right' and 'no, we won't do that because it will not work or is bad practise'.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Choille

Do you kno w yet when the sun returns for choille day this spring? I am wondering if I can plan some pruning just right for a bonfire of nice things.
  • choille wrote: »
    I think with builders it says a lot if they've been builders for a few decades at least. The best ones are ones who have always been builders & not just started up a few years or worse a few months back. Experience is all. Also ones who are busy are usually ones that are good. Recommendations by locals is a good thing to go with.
    Rozee I went to one of the well known local builders for a quote and advice;) etc, and i didnt like his attitude and advice when it came to doing owrk at the ranch... but yet he has been doing it for years.

There is also another way of looking at it, if you employ a local to do your work, then if there is a clash of personalities, or if you are not happy with their work etc, then being a close knit community, and you not being a local yourself, then you could end up with some gossip going round the village etc..

Both points I'd make.

Our builders were on the 2nd/3rd generation of the family business.

As with all country areas there's the ever present 'you're either with us or against us' which can take a while for newcomers to sort out.
    Before taking advice you need to know the half of the locals that are related to the builders & the rest who are either related to a competitor or have an ongoing vendetta with your chosen lot. :rotfl:
    Also, it pays to see & speak to people who have lived with the finished building work for some time - another reason not to pick people new to an area. No reflection intended on LIR's builders (who I'm sure will be great) but I've known people who've raved about builders while they were on site to find that the work wasn't as good as thought at a later date.
    choille wrote: »
    Really cold old day with the sun now not hitting the croft so really makes a chilling difference.

My beautiful Cross Shetland Tear - she is like a huge Shetland with a dark tear shaped mark below one eye. She has/had silly bud horns. She's knocked one off ( this is a common problem) at the trough & there was blood everywhere. Not a lot I can do but check it tomorrow. They do seem to bleed badly. Less worrying now rather than in the Summer when there's loads of flies about.

Used to have the same problem with goats, choille.
    I think head wounds bleed profusely, even on humans, so it always looks worse than it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure