Sipp Query, Withdrawal & Personal Tax Allowance

Although a few years to go yet, I would like to retire at 55 if possible and am thinking of starting a SIPP, which will provide a yearly income until I reach 60, when my DB pension will start.

Lets imagine I have £57,500 in my SIPP by the time I reach 55, so £57,500 shared by 5 years is £11,500 per year (personal tax allowance from April). By the time I reach 60, the SIPP will be exhausted.

Obviously, I am aware the personal tax allowance will have risen by then, so these calculations are only hypothetical on current rates.

Can this amount (£11,500) be withdrawn each year tax free, as I won't be working and I would be using this amount as my retirement annual income?

Thanks.

Comments

• NoMore
    NoMore Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Don't forget your 25 % TFLS.

So you could actually have a pot of £76666 and withdraw it over 5 years to zero and pay no income tax.

Year 1 25% tax free (£19166) + Tax allowance (£11500)
    Years 2 -5 £11500 each year.

Gives you an average annual retirement income of £15333.

Figures rounded and not account of inflation or investment gains of course.
  • Theoretically you can now have upto £22500 taxable income before you'd have to pay any income tax (in 2017:18) but that would involve a very specific mix of pension (or wages/business profits), savings interest and dividends :p

Your sipp should be fine providing you genuinely have no other income in the years you draw down from the sipp
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    NoMore wrote: »
    Don't forget your 25 % TFLS.

So you could actually have a pot of £76666 and withdraw it over 5 years to zero and pay no income tax.

Year 1 25% tax free (£19166) + Tax allowance (£11500)
    Years 2 -5 £11500 each year.

Gives you an average annual retirement income of £15333.

Figures rounded and not account of inflation or investment gains of course.
    Or could use UFPLS (google it) and withdraw £15333 each year with no tax to pay.
  • NoMore
    NoMore Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Thanks zagfles, forgot about UFPLS, slighlty different way to withdraw it but the maths work out the same either way for average yearly tax free income over the 5 years.
  • Sun-Is-Fun
    Sun-Is-Fun Posts: 243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for your input everyone, definitely given me something to think about and do. Now got to think about what SIPP portfolios to buy !
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Good plan, with I had been able to do that :-)
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Sun-Is-Fun
    Sun-Is-Fun Posts: 243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Been looking around. Think I'll go with the Vanguard Target Retirement 2025 Fund for the SIPP. Seems to suit my needs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure