The cheapest Pay As You Go mobile tariff

Comments

• andyinyorkshire
    andyinyorkshire Posts: 125 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2010 at 11:42AM
    IGNORE THIS POST (read my next post below)

"My results so far...

Orange Racoon 15p
    Asda 8p
    Tesco 10p (fav numbers)

Winner is Orange Racoon for me!
    Reason being I only usually phone a few people and can add them to my "Magic Numbers" for 15p for an hour not a bad deal.
    Problem1! - Cannot use Magic numbers with Racoon but will change it to Orange Canary once I get orange sim @ 20p a call for 1 hour.
    Problem2! - Magic numbers can only be used with other Orange customers

Of course if my calls last for less than a minute then Asda wins for things like "Call me back now on your contract phone" or "Hurry up back from work" etc...

Only problem being having to top up the £10 on the 1st of each month to gain the 'magic number' reward. Skip a month and usual cost of 15p per min. Top up is for 30days for each month so top up on Jan 1st magic numbers until 30th (but not 31st) and top up on March 15th to get until March 31st.

Anyone beat my recent research is welcome, best of luck everyone :beer:"
  • After looking at another forum on moneysaving here...

Then looking at the terms and con's for Orange here...
    Racoon is the only tariff that you don't have to minimum top-up but you can't use the magic numbers.
    Canary is the next best option for calls for me and can use magic numbers but the problem is being a low user I will have plenty of unused credit! :(

So now reviewing Tesco and Asda options further with the option of a no minimum top up each month...
  • asda mobile and tesco lite standard calls are 8p a minute and 4p texts. BOTH charge 0870/0845 calls at 8p a minute giffgaff charges 20p a minute which is the most expensive network to do so.

vectone mobile has free internet too and call charges at 5p a min.

lycamobile has 1p landline calls.

the new tesco contract package offers more for 10 and asda unlimited calls and texts is cheaper by five quid than giffgaff.

all users need to weigh the pro and cons with any uk network with any deal they are on. however giffgaff does NOT have a call centre and you if are in trouble can wait for days and weeks to get a resolution to your problems where as all the above you just simply call a call centre to speak to someone. also giffgaff you cant top up by credit card on there top up line nor add any goodbags like others by your mobile phone all has to be done on the gremlin bug based system that fails a lot. You just need to read there forums to see that issue happens a lot.

all i suggest is if you join any network is to read between the lines on any offer as there are always something not to good to be true.
  • Thanks for the info tony...

Looking for occasional calls to other mobiles...

lycamobile (landline calls not needed)

vectone (had to monthly top up for offer)

battle between asda mobile and tesco lite...
    both were same prices with the exception of asda who were alot cheaper for internet access, didn't need it but good to know it is cheaper if on their tariff.

Should be able to top up at Boots for their points there too!
    Disadvantage on not collecting more points at Tescos but Boots points appear to be better offer.
  • I got my Asda sim card ages ago,but have not used it as there was no top-up card provided in the Sim pack!
    I went to an Asda store & was told they don't have top-up cards,but i could buy some vouchers or top-up online.
    Both of these options are inconvenient,as my nearest Asda is some way from me & i am not always near a computer.
    All i want is to be able to pop into a local store & swipe my card,simple enough surely?
    I've emailed Asda about this,but have never received a reply.
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Recently I got a free SIM from Vectone that allow me to make free calls to India tilll 2011. Also 10 MB free mobile web, every day.

I am also looking for a sensibly priced service for UK landlines and mobiles. Vectone's national rates are given at
    http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/tariffs/standard/national-rates.aspx

Calls to UK Landlines are ok at 1p/ min.
    But calls to UK Mobiles are 10p per minute (not 5p as in a post above).
    Countries with much larger geographic area (such as India) mobile charges works out at around at only 0.7 p per minute.

So 10p per minute by Vectone is still too high
  • asset2004
    asset2004 Posts: 2,453 Forumite
    money_tree wrote: »
    I got my Asda sim card ages ago,but have not used it as there was no top-up card provided in the Sim pack!
    I went to an Asda store & was told they don't have top-up cards,but i could buy some vouchers or top-up online.
    Both of these options are inconvenient,as my nearest Asda is some way from me & i am not always near a computer.
    All i want is to be able to pop into a local store & swipe my card,simple enough surely?

Are you sure there wasn't any cards? There's top up cards at the side of the till in every Asda I've been in.
    Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
    Go as far as you can see, and when you get there you'll see further.
    Take time but don't waste time
  • I am deaf, and cannot use mobile phone like most folk, and when I go in a phone shop and explain and ask for a phone which has a good vibrating alert the assistant always say "oh this one is a good one..its very loud" ??? loud?

I'm deaf, loud does not do it...I asked for good vibrating alerts.
    Its got that way I don't trust these guys..they are just trying to sell me a phone...they won't/aren't able to let me test the alert so I end up walking out. Is it so hard to understand my problem?

Also Where can I find the cheapest texting PAYG offer..remember I'm deaf so only use text...I'm not too bothered about internet connection just a plain and simple text phone will be great!
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    money_tree wrote: »
    I got my Asda sim card ages ago,but have not used it as there was no top-up card provided in the Sim pack!

I'm on Asda PAYG and I have a top up card which I take to my local newsagent.
    I've never topped up at Asda or bought vouchers or done it online
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks once again for this straightforward No-nonsense, Tell it as it is talk, I've just spent 15 minutes on the internet searching for exactly this advice, I know I should have come straight to this website, but I thought an online search would tell me. I'm currently with Vodaphone and have been for years, but I've swapped phones with my son who is with O2, I didn't want to pay to unlock the phone but when you look at Asda's prices you just can't ignore them. How long it lasts is any ones guess. But it would appear that you simply must keep shopping around for any kind of regular payment plan because loyaly just cost you more in the end.
    I just can't praise this site enough! So thank's again team & Happy Christmas to all & a great New Year.
    Carry on the great work!:beer:Cheers
    KevinL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family