PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone keep chickens in an EGLU?

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    They would keep the weeds down but long grass is a problem. If possible, it would be best to strim it so they can do the rest.

We have cats - they get used to each other. They were all fairly gobsmacked when they first saw each other but quickly ignored each other. I wondered about this before we got hens but it's very rare for cats to attack hens or t'other way round. Chicks are another matter because they are breakfast size.

The enclosure size sounds fine but ... if you keep chickens on the same ground for a long time parasites build up. In a field or huge garden it's not a problem but in a small run it can be. It's generally recommended that when they've ruined the ground, you move their run so the ground can recover. This is the principle of arks and small coops with small runs, you move it round every few days so the hens get fresh greenery/grass and the ground has a rest.

Another way is to put the coop in the middle and let them have one half for a while and then switch them to the other half.

Mine are free ranging the garden so I hope it'll be OK. In the summer you don't have to worry - it's when you have days of rain, that the ground becomes a mire.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Magentasue wrote:
    We have cats - they get used to each other. They were all fairly gobsmacked when they first saw each other but quickly ignored each other. I wondered about this before we got hens but it's very rare for cats to attack hens or t'other way round.

You never met my chickens then LOL! ... they would chase the cats round the garden at times and come into the kitchen to steal their food :rotfl:

It was quite hilarious to watch as the cats were used to being "top dogs" of the house (they even kept the dogs in check!) and all of a sudden they had these big brown 2-legged creatures standing up to them and chasing them!!! The dogs would just ignore them but they were the bottom of the pecking order (get it!!!! :D ) of the household anyway ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    I have two chickens and a cat and they have never bothered each other. When I first ket the girls out into the garden, they completely ignored the cat. The cat was really inquisitive though and kept creeping up on the girls for a look. These days, they just ignore one another.

Yesterday afternoon, I heard the girls making a very low, continuous clucking sound which I had never heard before. I went out to investigate thinking one of the neighbourhood cats were threatening one of them. Well....when I went out, there was a large black cat which I had never seen before cowering in the corner of the garden and the two girls were rearing up at it :rotfl:

I have an Eglu. I ummed and ahhed for weeks before getting one as I thought it was very expensive (£320). I looked at 6 x 4 sheds which are about £95 and considered converting a shed and building an attached run. In the end, I chose the Eglu as it came with a fox proof run and was maintenance free. It is twin walled which makes it warm in winter and cool in summer, it takes a few seconds to empty the contents of droppings tray into compost heap every morning and it all comes apart to be hosed down once a week. It will never need re-weather proofing and since it all comes apart for cleaning, there are no nooks for red mite to hide in. I too was dubious when I first saw the Eglu, but I can honestly say I think it's money very well spent. It is also light enough for me to move around the garden without any help.

I live outwith of the delivery area to recive livestock from the Eglu people, so I just bought twp hyline hens from a local breeder which were £4.25 each. They started laying about a week after I got them and to date, i have at least two eggs every day without fail, sometimes I get three eggs a day! (Which I didn't think was possible :confused: )

Our girls free range for most of the day at the moment and although my original intention was to confine them to their run during the summer months when I had all my veggies in, I haven't the heart to do it now! I'm currently fencing in anything I don't want them to eat....

Chickens are great at gardening :rotfl:
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • beadysam
    beadysam Posts: 587 Forumite
    Any news on anyone's chickens? I'm getting some of my own soon so I'm a bit `clucky' about chickens at the moment!

SAM xx
  • Shona_3
    Shona_3 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Hello, like Noozan we got an eglu because we had 2 foxes which regularly sunbathed in our garden (broad daylight too) and we wanted peace of mind. it has been great but the problem is 2 chickens are never enough, so now we need more room to expand our poultry empire! We are moving to the country in 3 weeks and thinking of getting some more chickens and maybe ducks but what with bird flu in Scotland we may wait a little. Would need a very big shed/run to keep them indoors all the time.

Our two cats got pecked the first time they went near the hens and have steered clear since.

We have a Maron Brown hybrid and a Black Rock hybrid, Esme and Isabel, they are 18 months old and rule the garden!
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I did get my Eglu in the end last year and have not regretted one bit. My 2 chickens from Omlet the company that make the Eglu are lovely and give me an egg every day. :j

DEFRA have apparently said that should poultry need to be kept under cover then the winter shade over the run will be OK, so thats good news. :T

I would not be without my girls now :D

I am sure I read that later in the year a bigger one is to be launched. If you keep checking the Omlet website you will be able to find out more :T

https://www.omlet.co.uk
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    The current eglu for sale on the Omlet site is indeed, bigger than the original model and can house 4 chickens. However, the run is still the same size so unless you intend to let the girls free range for most of the day, i would say that the run is too small.

I bought my eglu in February last year and it has served me well; I still stand by my comment that it is money well worth spending.

But....chicken keeping is addictive and I now have 13 chickens, 2 4 week old chicks and 4 2 day old chicks! The older girls live in a converted shed with a 16 foot by 8 foot attached area fenced off for them. The eglu is used as a nursery house/run for chicks when they are ready to be hardened off.

I live in Fife though so am concerned with avian flu having recently been confirmed here. DH and I were discussing whether we should cull 10 of the outdoor girls and keeping the other 3 confined to their shed, with a small covered run attached. The chicks are ok for now as they are still under heat in the spare bedroom and can be moved out to a shed when they are weaned off the heat. To be honest, it's not us we are worried about but we are concerned about any possible reaction/hysteria/worry of neighbours etc.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • I, too, have been looking into purchasing an Eglu as well as getting a couple of Black Rocks. As I have quite a small, narrow garden, it seems ideal and the fact that it all comes apart and you can hose it down once a week and disinfect once a month rather than having to scrub and disinfect a wooden one more regularly in order to get rid of bugs, etc and repaint it every year. The Eglu is quite expensive, but I am sure worth the money. You can get them second hand on ebay, but, obviously, you will have to collect it. At the moment I am saving up for my Eglu in the hope I can buy one next spring, when, I presume, that is the best time to buy hens.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    What do you do with poorly chickens?

What do chickens eat?
  • anney
    anney Posts: 12 Forumite
    if you are a complete softie like me you rush you poorly chicken to the vet & hand over wads of cash, you then place poorly chicken in greenhouse to recover- she can see her friends but not pass ailment on & is easy (ish) to catch in a confined space. You tempt her with treats to far in excess of the value of eggs she has laid & hope she gets better. Or, you look up the poultry books, ask for help online, & if all else fails find someone not as squeamish as me to despatch her.

Our chickens ate corn ( from feed merchant ), also more or less anything you chucked out ( look in the books to find the no-no's ), worms- they would climb into the hole as you were digging, and anything tander you try to cultivate or treasure in the garden.

They have bags of personality, provide endless amusment & if you have only ever had shop eggs prepare to be amazes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure