Santander data leak or address book assault ? AKA Direct Debiting Seminar Invite.

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wouldn't be surprised if one of thems the op & the other is also someone on this thread.
    Since I'm neither of those and am also affected using an address only ever supplied to A&L and hence to Santander you need another theory. In my case it's an email that claims to be from Fedex about a delivery and wanting me to verify my identity by visiting some web site that I've no intention of ever visiting.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wish i could find out who is leaking my mobile number to PPI and accident claim companies.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Pound wrote: »
    I wish i could find out who is leaking my mobile number to PPI and accident claim companies.

Probably nobody.

My theory is they just start at 07000 000000 and work their way to 07999 999999.

I guess they will hit yours at some point.
  • LardyCake
    LardyCake Posts: 290
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Like others on this thread I had the scam emails (caught in spam filter) sent to an email address used only for Santander.

I got this genuine email from Santander today:

"Subject: email scam and advice if you're targeted

Dear my correct name

To make sure your personal details and computer aren't compromised, we wanted to make you aware of a significant email scam that's being received by some of our customers at the moment.

How to recognise the email
    The email has an attachment which appears to be correspondence linked to the email.

All official emails from us will address you by name. If an email that says it's from us doesn't do this, don't open any attachments within it.

What does the attachment do if it's opened?
    It can install a virus which will encrypt your computer files and the files on your local network. Once encrypted, the computer will display a screen with a count down timer and ask for a ransom payment for the decryption key to allow you to access your files.

What's being done about the email?
    The National Crime Agency's National Cyber Crime Unit (NCCU) is aware of the email and is working hard to trace the source. Until they do, this email has been assessed as a significant risk. Anyone who is infected with this malware should report it via www.actionfraud.police.uk

What should I do if I get the email?
    Forward it to us at [EMAIL="phishing@santander.co.uk"]phishing@santander.co.uk[/EMAIL]

If you open the attachment, the NCCU says it would never endorse paying the ransom and there's no guarantee the fraudsters would give you the decryption key. Instead you should:

• help the NCCU find the source of the emails by reporting it at www.actionfraud.police.uk
    • disconnect the computer from the network
    • get your computer professionally cleaned.

Some anti-virus companies will offer corrective software solutions but won't restore any encrypted files."

Read more advice at getsafeonline.org.uk

Other ways to protect yourself
    There are some preventative measures you can take to protect yourself.

Update your anti-virus and operating system with the latest versions
    These will include any updates needed to protect you against new threats since the last time your software was installed.

Back up your files regularly
    By preserving them off the network, they'll be safe if your computer does ever become infected.

I have Trusteer Rapport. Will this protect me?
    Trusteer Rapport protects you against viruses that try to steal your banking log on details. This virus is different in that it doesn't steal anything but tries to hold you to ransom. As Trusteer Rapport isn't designed for this type of virus it doesn't protect you against it.

Questions
    If you're unsure if an email is from us, or have any other questions about this issue, contact us on 0845 600 4388. Lines are open 7am to 11pm Monday to Saturday and 9am to 9pm Sunday.

Yours sincerely

Santander Customer Services"

Draw your own conclusions...
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    robatwork wrote: »
    Probably nobody.

My theory is they just start at 07000 000000 and work their way to 07999 999999.

I guess they will hit yours at some point.

But they know my name...
  • humptydumpty123_2
    humptydumpty123_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 January 2014 at 2:01PM
    I also just received spam email from the amusingly named Wankaner Valentino to a disposable email address I used for an abbey national account. They seemed to have my surname too (see below).

Santander's email above says
    "All official emails from us will address you by name. If an email that says it's from us doesn't do this, don't open any attachments within it."

Given that the leaked database includes surnames (and possibly more), that advice is woefully inadequate.

From: Wankaner Valentino [mailto:wankanerkvalentino@outlook.com]
    Sent: 24 January 2014 12:48
    To: <...>
    Subject: <my surname>

Hello,
    Today our Company, MVL Company, is in need of sales representatives in United Kingdom.

Our Company deals with designer goods and branded items. We've been providing our customers with exclusive products for more than five years, and we believe that the applicant for the position must have great communication skills, motivation, desire to earn money and will to go up the ladder. All charges related to this opening are covered by the Company. Your main duties include administrative support on orders and correspondence, controlling purchase orders and expense reports.

Part-time job salary constitutes 460GBP a week.
    Full-time job is up to 750GBP per week .
    Plus we have bonus system for the best workers!

To apply for the vacancy or to get more details about it, please email us directly back to this email.

Hope to hear from you soon!
    Best regards,
    Wankaner Valentino
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I also just received spam email from the amusingly named Wankaner Valentino to a disposable email address I used for an abbey national account. They seemed to have my surname too (see below).
    Hmmm, same email here this morning, though mine was from 'Aijian Tyesha'.
    Stompa
  • I just received two versions of the same spam message to two different 'disposable' addresses. One version was only ever supplied to Alliance and Leicester and the other was only ever supplied to Abbey. Obviously both of these accounts were eventually merged into Santander. The case couldn't be clearer! I've emailed phishing@santander.co.uk, but perhaps I won't hold my breath. Should I be making a compensation claim?
  • Since this afternoon I've received THREE copies of the "MVL Company" recruiting email, one sent to an email address I only gave to Alliance & Leicester, one sent to an email address I only gave to Cahoot, and one sent to an email address I only gave to Santander.

Each email had my correct surname as the subject line.

Santander have SERIOUS questions to answer - I'm surprised this thread has been running for so long. How come this isn't major news? It doesn't take a genius to work out what has happened here - so how many customers are affected and what other personal information has been taken? What is at risk?
  • A email address I used for cahoot received the MVL spam, I raised it with cahoot who gave a 'not our fault' reply.

A couple of hours later an email address I used for Abbey (and may well still use for Santander) received the same spam.

No other matches. Both emails use my surname.

The data has definitely been compromised.

I suspect they already know and are trying to keep the lid on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure