CMC "found PPI" but Barclay's claim none exists.

Options
Totally new to this so please bear with me.

Dad competed an initial (free) PPI enquiry via a CMC who wrote back to say they'd found he had PPI.

As he's only ever banked with one bank, (Barclay's) and only ever had one credit card (Barclaycard) and never recalled agreeing to PPI, it seemed straightforward to check it direct ourselves. I downloaded the forms on the Barclay's website and we submitted them with as much info as we could, but they've now written to say they can't find anything.

Where do we go from here? We don't want to involve the claims company if it's easy enough to pursue it ourselves, but aren't sure if there's anything to pursue. From the threads I've read am I right in understanding the CMC can't know any more info than we provide? If so, we're just confused as to how they've "found" PPI in his records when the bank can't?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The chances are good that the claims company has simply lied to you.
  • bdmum1
    bdmum1 Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OK, thank you.
  • AstroTurtle
    Options
    The chances are good that the claims company has simply lied to you.

Which CMC is it.

Chances are they will say they found PPI.

Take a £500 fee. and then hold onto that until August 2019 and fold up the company once PPI deadline has been met.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • bdmum1
    Options
    The company is Brunel Franklyn.

According to their blurb the charges are 39.6% inc vat. There was no charge for the initial search and the response advised that they'd found PPI but wouldn't go any further without instruction. It also repeats that he can complete the process himself, which is what we opted to do.

The dilemma is that, if PPI does exist it can only be through Barclays / Barclaycard, but they've said they've been unable to trace any PPI on an arranged overdraft he had in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

The only other things he's had are a Barclaycard and a packaged bank account which was only for a few months (recommended by the bank in order to get free long haul travel insurance due to his age). Will Barclays have automatically checked those products aswell?

Thanks for any help or advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You need to ask Barclays/Barclaycard.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    bdmum1 wrote: »
    we're just confused as to how they've "found" PPI in his records when the bank can't?
    Since the claims company have no access to your father's financial records, they haven't found anything there. Your father's financial records are not in the public domain.

Claims companies who offer "free PPI checks" are simply trying to hook new customers. The more respectable CMCs will send speculative letters to the top five lenders (who sold 80% of PPI) simply asking if any of your accounts had the insurance. In your case, the CMC doesn't even seem to have done that!

Where do we go from here?
    You'll never receive a refund of PPI if you never paid any. You could spend (waste?) £10 on a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter to Barclays, this should return all information the Bank have kept on file for your father and set your mind at rest once and for all.

Certainly, do not ever engage a CMC again, even to "find" your phantom PPI.
  • bdmum1
    Options
    Thanks for that, really appreciate your advice.

In the meantime I've completed and sent the "Have I had PPI?" template letter to Barclays via Resolver and asked them specifically to look at Barclaycard and the packaged bank account. Im guessing that will also come back negative, but I'll have the peace of mind knowing I didn't miss anything.
  • AstroTurtle
    Options
    Thanks for that, really appreciate your advice.

In the meantime I've completed and sent the "Have I had PPI?" template letter to Barclays via Resolver and asked them specifically to look at Barclaycard and the packaged bank account. Im guessing that will also come back negative, but I'll have the peace of mind knowing I didn't miss anything.

All a CMC does is fill in half of a form and get you to do most of it.

They take a % of your refund for basically posting a form off.

Always worth doing it yourself :money:
    Save £12k in 2019 -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family