lodger and heating

ivy92
ivy92 Posts: 9 Forumite
Hi!
I'm sharing the house with a resident landlady and her daughter. Before I moved in, we agreed that the radiator would be on in the evening and morning (I didn't think to ask about the temperature, assuming it would have to least be enough to warm up the room). However, she only set it at about 17 C -17.5 C and for a few hours and it would be off by mid night and probably on again in the morning. Because my room is quite spacious, and the radiator is right under the big window, at that set temparature it still feels very cold. Once it was off at about 11pm, and I asked her to turn it on again (she was snoozing watching TV in the warm comfortable living room with 3 heaters), I asked what happened and she just turned it on without explaining or changing that prescheduled on-off thermo stat schedule. My bed is usually too cold and I couldn't sleep at night, so some nights or in early the morning(1 or 2 am) I had to turn it on again just so I could sleep (the thermo stat is on my wall and I didn't know I wasn't allowed to touch it). The landlady was mad about it and acted like it was a crime,probably because it's gonna cost her more. I dreaded having to go through the process of house hunting again but I feel really cold. I layered up(jumper, a duvet and a quilt) and still can't sleep. She is very strict about my water and gas usage too. She asked me to use a small basin/container she bought and wash dishes in that instead of the basin to save water while she and her daughter use the washing machine! And while I was cooking she reduced the gas on the stove to the smallest( I put it in middle, smallish, not the highest) and reasoned that otherwise there would be too much steam(she closes the door in the kitchen, and have no ventilator or fan). It's really small stuff and I tried to adapt but it's annoying! and the hot water has failed a few times since I moved in (about a month ago), in the middle of shower, in the morning,... and someone has to go to the basement and turns on a button in the cyclinder. Is it normal? I've just moved here from Australia a few months ago and have no idea there is such lack of hot water here!
I'm thinking of offering to pay a bit more just to have a reasonablely warm room while I sleep. How much should I offer her? And say if it comes to me having to leave, could she deduct my bond on the ground that I consume more utilities than she allows?(my bills are inclusive and I wasn't informed about any limits)?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Wow, never heard of anything like that before.

I would just take the easy way out and look elsewehre for somewhere to live.

Very few people are like that and you should not have to put up with it.

That is no life to be living for you,
    How would she know if you have an electric blanket on.
    or you could co and buy a small calor gas heater for a few pounds which wouldnt affect her.
    But honestly, you would be far better out of there.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ivy92
    edited 22 November 2017 at 9:59PM
    "surprised" is to put it mildly! I'm leaning toward that moving out option too! Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I'm not allowed electricity blanket or any other heaters, something about it would disrupt the system. She spefically stated that "Small electrical equipment only (telephone and computer chargers, hairdryer, clock) may be used in the room". And she could come inspect whenever she wants ( but she said she'd tell me in advance) so it's too risky!
    I thought to have a chat with her first because other than being rather "tight", she seems to be respectful of my privacy. And the house is ok.
    I just don't know how to negotiate as I have never been in such a situation before.
  • It sounds like moving might be the best option. Most places aren't that tight - she sounds like a bit of a nightmare. There's plenty of hot water!

If you do want to negotiate, I don't think you should offer more money. It's reasonable to expect a decent temperature and enough hot water for a shower and to do your cooking, etc. Ask for that and tell her you expect to receive what you've paid for. She can't deduct anything from your deposit because you had the heating on! That said, it's unlikely to go well. So, I'd move.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    McKneff wrote: »
    or you could co and buy a small calor gas heater for a few pounds which wouldnt affect her.

Gas heaters are not generally a good idea unless the room is well ventilated and there is a carbon monoxide (that's CO) alarm. CO is a silent and odourless killer.

Side note - I'm on the look out for a lodger.... Balmy Norfolk, not far from the coast...
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    She sounds like
    A control freak
    A bully
    a tightwad

What a sad life she must have.
    How much is she charging you a month.,

Sorry but it comes over as if you are frightened of her.

Get outa there for your own peace of mind......
    I cant believe you are allowing someone to treat you like this......
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ivy92 wrote: »
    "Small electrical equipment only (telephone and computer chargers, hairdryer, clock) may be used in the room".

Just leave the hairdryer on, that will warm you up a little :D
  • One other thing, it is going to get a lot cooler.

Some people actually choose to live in a cooler house.

We have the temperature in our house set at about 17, the heating goes on at about 17:30 and off at 21:00 when we have it on (not even on yet) and it comes on in the morning at about 06:30 and goes off about 08:30. Some people choose to have the house what you would call cold, and we would not want it warmer than that, and we could not sleep if we had the heating on overnight!

That said, the rest of her attitude is unforgiveable, you should really start looking for somewhere else to live. BUT, if you live as a lodger in someone else's house then it is going to be them that make the decision as to how warm the house should be, they live there too, although there should be hot water available too.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • ivy92
    edited 25 November 2017 at 12:10AM
    Thanks everyone for your opinions!
    I'm appreciative!
    I haven't really been able to talk it through with her as the timing was never right (she was always busy with something and couldn't have a full discusion with me). However, she said that her house runs according to British system, and when I mentioned my thick jumper, duvet and quilt she responded that "here in the Britain" people wear warm pyjamas, have double quilts... so obviously no need for heating and what I have on currently is not sufficient so I'm cold because of that, not he lack of heating! Now I'm not gonna go into a discussion about how British do it because I am not one, and people's tolerances are different. And when I mentioned that I attended some workshops at school regarding the private housing option, they advised that temperature should be 18-21 C and below 18C could impose health risk, she said she doesnt care what they say and her house doesn't run that way. Obviously! So I said I may have to leave, and guess I should start looking for a new place soon! But I still have to stay 1 more month(1 month notice). During that time, could I ask her to adjust the temperature so that Imm comfortable? She said she would have to talk to a plumber about that. Is that really that complicated?
    And btw what temperature do you usually set your thermostat at during the day and when the central heating is on?
    Thanks!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    I have our heating at about 20C when it's on - I have tried having it lower and adding more layers etc, but tbh I got to the point where i'd rather cut back on other things than sit in my own house wrapped up in 5 layers with my hands still cold.

The lady sounds like she's either been through difficult financial times and is wary about energy bills, or elderly and also worried about bills or was brought up in houses without the likes of central heating. However it is not right if she's sat toasty in the living room and your bedroom is too cold for you to sleep in.

With regard to ending the tenancy, this is from the UK Gov website as an FYI.

Your lodger can end the tenancy by giving you notice. They can’t do this during the fixed term of the tenancy, unless there’s a break clause.

The amount of notice they need to give depends on the tenancy agreement, if there is one. Otherwise, it’s usually at least 4 weeks (if they pay weekly) or 1 month (if they pay monthly).

You and your tenant can end a tenancy at any time if you both agree.

I hope you either get the situation resolved with her, or find somewhere more suitable for you to stay.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• ivy92
    edited 25 November 2017 at 12:44AM
    Thank you!
    So I assume asking for it to be 20 wouldn't be a ridiculous request? and would it involve the plumber? And may I ask how long is your heater on for?
    Mine is currently set at about 17.5 and my friend who is visiting wears a beanie in the room��
    Yes, she is a senior and I guess your assumptions are reasonable. As I said above, other than being tight on utilities, she is a nice enough(quiet, respect my privacy, allows visitors)! So that's why I'm hesitant about moving.

Thanks!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport