eternity ring snapped 3 years after purchase

Comments

• Seems you were well of when you said diamond aswell :)

Oh ok, not diamonds. But we're here to evaluate whether the ring is faulty, not my choice of ring.
    You don't seem to be sure if you paid £300 either!

(Update: GB bobsleigh boys not doing well at all. The women get their funding cut but do much better! Could be run by the BBC! Sorry - off topic!)

Not quite sure what you mean, I know exactly what I paid, £279 at the time
  • My view is this ring has been manufactured shoddily

Then why did you buy it?
    But we're here to evaluate whether the ring is faulty

but the ring was fine when you bought it, and has been fine for the last 3 years, is the ring worn 24/7 you have to take into account general wear and tear, for £279 am gonna guess the gold band is quite thin and has worn which is not unusual.
    So i would say the ring is not nor ever was faulty.
  • Then why did you buy it?

Hah, is that even a serious question? If it was possible to forsee the future then no one would buy faulty items

but the ring was fine when you bought it, and has been fine for the last 3 years, is the ring worn 24/7 you have to take into account general wear and tear, for £279 am gonna guess the gold band is quite thin and has worn which is not unusual.
    So i would say the ring is not nor ever was faulty.

Yes, I can safely say the ring was fine when it wasn't being worn, it looked fantastic in its storage place, must've received so much wear just sitting on the side doing nothing

So all in all, thanks for your insightful post, you have obviously deduced your opinion from stealing the ring from my house, examining it and then returning it. All without me knowing with your qualified internet jewellery opinion. Well done
  • re-rewind wrote: »
    So all in all, thanks for your insightful post, you have obviously deduced your opinion from stealing the ring from my house, examining it and then returning it. All without me knowing with your qualified internet jewellery opinion. Well done
    Wait, WTAF?
  • Wait, WTAF?

Just making a point about people who spout rubbish whilst knowing nothing about the facts
  • who spout rubbish whilst knowing nothing about the facts

here's a fact for you. you bought a cheap nasty ring for your mrs from a store could'nt even buy her a diamond for an eternity ring, next you'll be wanting those stones replacing with real diamond's.
  • here's a fact for you. you bought a cheap nasty ring for your mrs from a store could'nt even buy her a diamond for an eternity ring, next you'll be wanting those stones replacing with real diamond's.

Actually I just refuse to pay loads of money for worthless diamonds that just have hyped up marketing. Search De Beers diamond con I'm sure you'll see what i mean. If that's your thing to waste money on a Fad or just do it to appear better than others then I just feel sorry for you.

My missus is quite happy with her ring until it broke, although she was asking just the other day what your opinion was because it really mattered to her that much.
    Just making a point about people who spout rubbish whilst knowing nothing about the facts
    To be fair, the only fact that is really needed is that you paid £279 for a gold ring and anything in that price range is not going to be overly substantial.
    If it was worn on a daily basis, getting a couple of years use from it isn't too bad (in my opinion).
    A few knocks every now and again may well have stressed the ring to the point where just pulling it to remove it from a finger was enough for it to break.
  • Its terrible when you compare it to a £95 ring I purchased from argos that is still going strong 14 years old
    Its terrible when you compare it to a £95 ring I purchased from argos that is still going strong 14 years old
    It all depends on what it is made of.

You could buy one made from nickel plated steel for £95 and as the raw materials would cost a couple of pennies, that would leave almost all of the £95 for manufacturing costs and profit for the maker and the retailer and you would still have an almost indestructible ring.

For one that cost £279 made out of gold alloy with inset stones, the basic materials alone would probably account for a fair bit of the cost.
    Once you factor in the profit for the maker and retailer then there probably wouldn't be too much left over to cover the actual manufacturing process.
    Add to that the fact that a gold alloy ring will probably be softer than a base metal plated one, hence more prone to damage and you might start to see why the ring in question broke after three years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure