How long until hard searches are removed from my report?

2»

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    As the age of your hard search(es) increases the less of an impact they'll have on your credit reports.

I'm probably wrong in my statement but typically after six months they tend to have no bearing (and usually disappear around 12 months later).

I've done exactly the same as you in the past with too many searches in a short period of time so you're wise in waiting until you genuinely need to conduct a hard search.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    20aday wrote: »
    As the age of your hard search(es) increases the less of an impact they'll have on your credit reports.

I'm probably wrong in my statement but typically after six months they tend to have no bearing (and usually disappear around 12 months later).

I've done exactly the same as you in the past with too many searches in a short period of time so you're wise in waiting until you genuinely need to conduct a hard search.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one! :) I opened my HSBC student account last year not even interested in credit scores or reports so it wasn't something that crossed my mind, and the same when in September I opened a new phone contract. Then I wanted to change credit cards for the different reward schemes..I just didn't realise how much these things build up at the time. Then I got a free trial with Equifax and realised they had built up and were damaging my chances.

I think I mentioned earlier that I really want the Halifax Clarity card for purchases abroad, so I'll wait until the summer time when these searches may have less of an impact and when I'm more than likely going to travel. I have also been looking at AMEX's reward scheme in which seems really rewarding rather than the deal I'm on now. But again, that can wait :rotfl:
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    The reason you probably can't get a clarity card is due your student status and Income being low as well
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Sncjw wrote: »
    The reason you probably can't get a clarity card is due your student status and Income being low as well

I am still a student, but these days I'm actually working more hours than I'm studying (just how my timetable falls), and also earning a fair decent income, that I won't disclose here, but I have a stable income and still count myself as working
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    You have already disclosed it. Your still a student though
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Never got a credit card when I was a student... Only got one when I started work... Its probably not a good idea when your a student with little money :D
  • KoshB5
    KoshB5 Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 February 2017 at 12:36AM
    A CRA can't hold searches for more than 2 years.

A point of note about search footprints is that they are unique to the CRA that was asked to provide the information. Many financial providers tend to only use one CRA as their primary supplier of data to make a decision.

Whilst it is true that multiple credit applications over a short period of time will tend to have a negative impact on an application, this will only be the case if the credit application searches have been undertaken by the same CRA used to make the current decision.

Once an application is successfully It is only when an account is opened do all CRAs get the data and can report upon it for all who are allowed to see this type of information

Searches are only one factor used in scoring the risk of an individual, based on that organisations business model.
  • A bit late to the part;

I have a Clarity card and actually not that attractive (quite a good credit report but got a 21% APR anyway, due to making the same mistakes of doing all my financial household at the same time e.g. new current account etc.)

What I find best for spending abroad is the Monzo current account, recently they've introduced a 30 day £200 point fee free cap on ATM withdrawals abroad (after that it's 3%) but all spending abroad is fee free and at Mastercard currency rates (which is the very close to the actual currency rate and not the horrible rate given by most high street banks)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    l.burger wrote: »
    A bit late to the part;

I have a Clarity card and actually not that attractive (quite a good credit report but got a 21% APR anyway, due to making the same mistakes of doing all my financial household at the same time e.g. new current account etc.)

What I find best for spending abroad is the Monzo current account, recently they've introduced a 30 day £200 point fee free cap on ATM withdrawals abroad (after that it's 3%) but all spending abroad is fee free and at Mastercard currency rates (which is the very close to the actual currency rate and not the horrible rate given by most high street banks)

Is there a question there ?

Its late but how does your post relate to the thread ?

Oh spending abroad, the threads over a year old, why drag it up ?
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2018 at 11:19AM
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    The thing is, I applied for the Clarity at the beginning of the year and was rejected, that never showed up on a hard search, and also the Avios that I was actually accepted for never went on a hard search either. The only hard searches I actually have are the ones I stated, a phone contract, two accounts with overdrafts and Barclaycard

When you said the search never showed up on a hard search on your credit file did you actually check it with all three main CRAs or just on one CRA. because it could happen if it does not show up on one CRA it might still show on other CRAs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure