ESA overpayment please advise

Comments

• ragdoll24
    ragdoll24 Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh and just to put you all straight especially those who said if I move in with my partner he would be liable for my esa overpayment, well your wrong!!!! I have just been on the phone to ESA explaining the circumstances and they said if I could offer to pay at least £1/2 a month and send in evidence of my illness and inability to currently work then a small token gesture if £1/2 a month is acceptable for them!!
    If you want to give advise on the future make sure you know the facts instead of scaremongering people saying my partner would be liable!
  • benidorm59
    benidorm59 Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You would need to speak to DWP Debt management about any overpayment and paying it back, they would need a full break down of your circumstance before a payment re plan would be agreed. If you have spoken to just a contact centre then they can and do say anything. It is possible to pay it back monthly by direct debit standing order but not a pound a month
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,948 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    you really are rather rude, especially when plenty of people have given you sound advice.

the fact that you are intending to move in with your partner for purely financial purposes ( you said in your OP that you didn't want to move in with your partner but would for financial reasons) isn't a good move.
    there is nothing to stop ESA allowing you to repay over a longer period if you are suffering financially.

moving in with the partner would mean that you lose all financial independence so doing this before you are ready is a mistake
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ragdoll24 wrote: »
    Oh and just to put you all straight especially those who said if I move in with my partner he would be liable for my esa overpayment, well your wrong!!!! I have just been on the phone to ESA explaining the circumstances and they said if I could offer to pay at least £1/2 a month and send in evidence of my illness and inability to currently work then a small token gesture if £1/2 a month is acceptable for them!!
    If you want to give advise on the future make sure you know the facts instead of scaremongering people saying my partner would be liable!
    I actually did advice in one of my previous posts that you would need to arrange to pay the overpayment back with DWP!! I wasn't scaring you or anyone else!! I gave you advice multiple times and you never once thanked me!! If you want to take someones advice from a contact centre then you go ahead because i wouldn't trust them at all.

You're moaning about 50k not being enough :eek: that's a serious amount of money for a person to earn!!!

You really are a nasty person aren't you!!! all the advice you've been given and then you throw it back with an attitude like that. I'm done with your post, i'm out...................
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your work:
    The work that you did for the 7 months, how many paid hours a week was it? (lunch time is not paid)
    Was the working hours constant or varied?
    Did you ever work more than 16 hours in a week?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71681412#post71681412
    I have a lovely part time job at the moment in a pharmacy which I have been there for 7 months but I have to work 5 days a week 2 til 7 pm
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 10:10PM
    You don’t need to be so aggressive. The reason I have not answered those questions as there is no point, I done wrong by trying to work when claiming ESA, I confessed and now I’m paying it back. I am on ESA income related and in the care group. DLA I was on lower rate care and lower rate mobility for 12mths, it changed to PIP and I had to reapply under PIP and was rejected, MIND had been helping me through all this and told me to challenge it, but I was so ill that I didn’t have the energy to fight it.
    Hey, we are all human, and as you already know, I work full time, I come here every evening to help people like you. And when you ignore my posts which are offering help...I get a bit peeved...ok. because you are wasting my time.

And I did give you help on the other part of your question...I gave you the national debt line to call and I told you what to ask them...
    Did you get that in writing?

You cannot ask the ESA enquiry line such a question, they have no knowledge on that subject.

You need to phone DWP Debt
    https://www.gov.uk/benefit-overpayments/how-to-make-a-repayment

DWP Debt Management contact centre
    Telephone: 0345 850 0293
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 7:30pm
    Saturday, 9am to 4pm

And ask them.

Also if you do move in with your partner, you don't have to close your ESA, you don't have to do an ESA3 (which they will send to you, there is no point in doing an ESA3) You can ask them (when you tell them your new address) that you do not want an ESA3, you want them to update your address and send a handover to rebuild your ESA claim and keep it open as ESA Conts National Insurance Credits. But if you are going to do this, ask debt management and the national debt line, if your claim is "ESA Credits only" to confirm they still cannot take money from your partner's earnings.... because you won't be putting him down as "a partner" on your ESA NI Credits claim. and what would be the situation of you did have a ESA NI Credits claim and he *was* named as your partner on the claim....,

If you do ever move out of your partner's house, you can go straight back into the Support/WRAG Group without having to wait for a new assessment.
    This does assume that you do not move out of your Partner's house into a UC only area. If you did move into a UC only area, you would have to make a claim for UC, and ask them to transfer your WRAG/support Group entitlement onto UC (so you would not have to wait for an assessment).

You're welcome.....
  • pioneer22
    pioneer22 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £3,000 per month after tax

£1,000 rent say.....
    £500 bills
    £400 for Food

That's still £1100 left over £250 a week etc
  • ragdoll24
    benidorm59 wrote: »
    You would need to speak to DWP Debt management about any overpayment and paying it back, they would need a full break down of your circumstance before a payment re plan would be agreed. If you have spoken to just a contact centre then they can and do say anything. It is possible to pay it back monthly by direct debit standing order but not a pound a month

No it was the debt management team I rang who said I can do £1/2 a month
  • ragdoll24
    epitome wrote: »
    Hey, we are all human, and as you already know, I work full time, I come here every evening to help people like you. And when you ignore my posts which are offering help...I get a bit peeved...ok. because you are wasting my time.

And I did give you help on the other part of your question...I gave you the national debt line to call and I told you what to ask them...

Did you get that in writing?

You cannot ask the ESA enquiry line such a question, they have no knowledge on that subject.

You need to phone DWP Debt
    https://www.gov.uk/benefit-overpayments/how-to-make-a-repayment

DWP Debt Management contact centre
    Telephone: 0345 850 0293
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 7:30pm
    Saturday, 9am to 4pm

And ask them.

Also if you do move in with your partner, you don't have to close your ESA, you don't have to do an ESA3 (which they will send to you, there is no point in doing an ESA3) You can ask them (when you tell them your new address) that you do not want an ESA3, you want them to update your address and send a handover to rebuild your ESA claim and keep it open as ESA Conts National Insurance Credits. But if you are going to do this, ask debt management and the national debt line, if your claim is "ESA Credits only" to confirm they still cannot take money from your partner's earnings.... because you won't be putting him down as "a partner" on your ESA NI Credits claim. and what would be the situation of you did have a ESA NI Credits claim and he *was* named as your partner on the claim....,

If you do ever move out of your partner's house, you can go straight back into the Support/WRAG Group without having to wait for a new assessment.
    This does assume that you do not move out of your Partner's house into a UC only area. If you did move into a UC only area, you would have to make a claim for UC, and ask them to transfer your WRAG/support Group entitlement onto UC (so you would not have to wait for an assessment).

You're welcome.....

Thank you for your kind reply, ESA did give me the debt management number and it was them who advised me. I’m a bit confused what you are saying about ESA as they told me if I move in with my partner I will completely loose ESA. What you are all misunderstanding is that I know I done wrong last year in the work I done but if you knew the full personal circumstances and what hell I have been through with domestic violence maybe you would all be a bit more understanding and sympathetic. I wasn’t asking for a medal for declaring to ESA about my work but at least I done the right thing and I want to get it paid back ASAP, but I can’t help my health issues which are quite frightening and I want to get well and get back to work but until I do I just need some help/support as well my partner will kindly support me and the children by paying all the household rent and bills plus his own debts and putting food on the table for us all there is absolutely nothing left to pay my debts so I’m basically better staying where I am but then I feel guilty about that as I will be taking up a private rented house when it could be used for another family when I have the opportunity of living with my partner, but doing that means I loose all the help I get for my illness and children and would then put my partner in debt and would end up loosing his rented house. But it would be better in the long run for benefits if I did move in with him tax I would be getting off of benefits altogether.
    I have made the decision to stay where I am as although I struggle to pay basic bills and put food on the table, I’m better off struggling like that and not putting my partner into debt and we get to see each other every weekend anyway so will leave it to continue like that until I get a clean bill of health and get back to work. All my life I have worked full time even doing part time jobs along side my full time job, I have never claimed benefits and because my husband was abusive and destroyed me mentally, physically and financially I had no choice but to ask for help from benefits. I just hate it so much when people on here judge so harshly as I would wish what I have gone through on my worst enemy.
  • ragdoll24
    pioneer22 wrote: »
    £3,000 per month after tax

£1,000 rent say.....
    £500 bills
    £400 for Food

That's still £1100 left over £250 a week etc

Actually it’s £2700 a month
    His rent is £1200 a month
    Household bills around £500 a month
    Car ins and tax £40 a month
    House insurance £30 a month
    Credit card from a debt he kindly took over from his ex £180 a month
    Mobile £30 a month
    This leaves him with £720 a month to pay for all the food for 2 adults and 3children, school dinner money whic is £3 a day for each chil so that times 2 for a week is £30 a week, college for my other child which is £5 a day bus fare times 4 days is £20 a week plus money for his lunch, clothes for 3 children including shoes and school uniform, haircuts, prescriptions as I would no longer be entitled to free prescriptions and I’m on a lot of medication per month, mmaintenance of my car, petrol, tax, insurance and my debts. So are you telling me £700 a month will pay for all that??
    Oh I forgot the oetrol he has to put in his car to get him to work which is around £50 a week as he has a long way to travel so that’s another £200 a month!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure