Southern Electric gave me rebate by mistake... now they want it back

Hello all, some advice needed please... a brief synopsis

I moved out of a property 7 months ago and gave a final meter reading. Some bright spark (;)) at SE decided this was too high, and amended the total I sent them on their system to something they thought was more appropriate. This triggered an automated rebate of around £400, which I cashed a LONG time ago.

Recently, the new occupiers of the propery gave a meter reading which read more in-line with the reading I actually submitted to them in the first place. They now realise the error, and have told me I owe them over £400.

So where do I stand? I am not at fault at all over this (SE acknowlege this) and I'm hoping I'm somehow entitled to keep the money. What are the experts thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    MunkyHeed wrote: »

I moved out of a property 7 months ago and gave a final meter reading. Some bright spark (;)) at SE decided this was too high, and amended the total I sent them on their system to something they thought was more appropriate. This triggered an automated rebate of around £400, which I cashed a LONG time ago.

Recently, the new occupiers of the propery gave a meter reading which read more in-line with the reading I actually submitted to them in the first place. They now realise the error, and have told me I owe them over £400.

So where do I stand? I am not at fault at all over this (SE acknowlege this) and I'm hoping I'm somehow entitled to keep the money. What are the experts thoughts on this?

Thanks.

You will have to pay for all the energy you consumed.
    If you received money you were not entitled to, this will have to be repaid as well
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    MunkyHeed wrote: »

Thanks.

Hi MunkyHeed - we're not covering energy/consumer issues on the board at the moment. We'd suggest either contacting our Consumer Helpline (08454 04 05 06, 9am to 5pm, Mondays to Fridays), or your local bureau, for advice on this.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure