PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How often do you....

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Clean your fridge / freezer?
    Clean your kitchen cupboards out and wipe inside, doors etc?
    Clean your oven?
    Clean the inside of your windows and the window frames?
    Dust the top of door frames and light fittings?

These are some of the jobs I put off doing, because they are quite boring frankly, but I have to do them and I am curious about how often you all do these jobs. I started doing my kitchen cupboards today and it is taking me much longer than I expected.

Also how do you organise your kitchen cupboards? I bought some food storage containers today for the rice, pasta, lentils etc having previously just stored things in the bags they come in but I need to buy a lot more containers and they're not that cheap so I am also wondering what you all use for this too?

Fridge/freezer/kitchen cupboards/doors etc - about once a month

Oven - I have never cleaned my oven and I've had it about 5 years now :o

Windows - about twice a year other than the bathroom one which is done about once a month

Door frames and light fittings - every couple of months maybe?

I have Ikea glass jars on a shelf with pasta/rice etc in.

Flour/sugar for baking etc is in plastic drums from the £1 shop (Jane Asher range.)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Fridge - whenever it looks like it needs a wipe
    Freezer - frost free
    Kitchen doors - quick wipe down when I notice they need it. I take everything out of the cupboards and give everything a good clean once a year
    Oven - I spray Mr Muscle oven cleaner on overnight once a week, then give it a quick wipe and a rinse the next morning. I use Hob Bright on the ceramic hob the same day (but just wipe it over the rest of the time).
    Windows and window frames - we're renovating the house, so as we've finished each room I give each window a good clean and polish. Will probably clean them once a year (the outside gets done by the window cleaner appx every 6 weeks.)
    Door frames and light fittings (and skirting boards) get a quick dust once a week.

Generally I reckon that if you keep on top of it you don't need to spend much time on it.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    I do the cleaning when it looks like it needs doing.
    I try to empty and clean one kitchen cupboard a week (really really evil job that i hate).

Food storage is mostly in own packets etc some things in plastic tubs but to be honest i am too bone idle to fill up plastic tubs etc.

regards
    :j
  • Fridge - Wipe it inside every couple of weeks, clean it thoroughly when it looks grubby.

Freezer - when I struggle to get things in/out because its too frosty.

Kitchen cupboards - Outside I wash down weekly/twice weekly. Inside - when it looks grubby or there has been a spillage. The tops and underneath - every 2/3 months.

Windows and frames - I dust the frames once a week when I do the dusting likewise top of doors and frames. I dust the glass fortnightly and clean them properly every two months.

Hob gets washed daily and oven, only when something gets spilt.
  • The fridge drawers ad shelves get wiped often, and scrubbed out once a month. As for the others.... I'll do them any day now. I promise.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2015 at 7:59AM
    I have enjoyed this thread so much! Kept giggling to myself when I was reading it. Apart from Judi, I think I am similar to most of you and I'm glad you aren't all perfect.
    I clean about the same as most of you, except for the outside of my kitchen cupboard doors which I pride myself on wiping down about once a week.
    I keep any decent screw top plastic jobs for storing stuff in, like an empty hot choc container. Handy for things like lentils which come in bags that easily split when you open them. I grind my own spices (try it folks, you won't believe the difference) so tend to keep any small glass jars for this. I certainly wouldn't go buying containers especially, unless I see them very cheap at a car boot. For example, I got an empty celebrations chocs container at a car boot for 10p. One of those tall cylindrical things. It is perfect for packets of spaghetti.
    Any plastic packet that I use half of, I fold over and sticky tape shut as I know I only have to close and reopen it once more. Other packets I close with wooden clothes pegs.
    Oh, after watching a KM video thing, I put all my wee opened spice/flavouring packets etc into a see through plastic ziplock type bag which had kiwi fruit in before. Now they aren't cluttering the cupboard and threatening to spill everywhere because they all sit happily upright in the bag.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    A supplementary Q for the hardcore OCD-ers...

How often do you clean the Tops of kitchen wall units?

And does anybody really cover them with cling-film so they can bin that greasy layer of aerosol fat which collects from frying every year or so...?
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I'm the opposite of OCD. I cleaned the top of mine for the first time in years and believe me, I put old wallpaper on top so I never have to do that again. It was horrible. Clingfilm would be more difficult I think as it wouldn't stay there independently the way that heavy wallpaper does.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    AlexMac wrote: »
    A supplementary Q for the hardcore OCD-ers...

How often do you clean the Tops of kitchen wall units?

And does anybody really cover them with cling-film so they can bin that greasy layer of aerosol fat which collects from frying every year or so...?

Mine are very high so I send hubby up the ladder to do them :j. But it's about twice a year when I'm doing a complete rake out
  • ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I used to have a neighbour (elderly) who asked me how often I washed the floors and paintwork. I thought she meant the kitchen lino, but she, according to her hubby, used to take up her carpets once a month and clean the floor underneath and cleaned her paintwork at least once a month. It made me think how overboard you can go with cleaning.

My fridge gets cleaned when it's dirty - ditto everything else - probably once a year unless we have a spillage.
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport