PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

porridge in the slow cooker

Comments

• icklejulez
    icklejulez Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Before I bought my slow cooker I saw a lovely porridge recipe with apples and sultana's(not on this site) never found it since, but Ive been tempted to try porridge too in my slow cooker. Would adding cooking apples and sultanas to the mix last thing at night be ok? Would the fruit be raw or overcooked etc? Would really like nice soft fruit to get in my toddler and baby.
    Saving needed to emigrate to Oz
    *September 2015*

£11,860.00 needed = £1,106 in savings

• susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Being scottish I would never make this in slow cooker - buy oatmeal that is the difference - soak it overnight in a pan with the water and being scottish a pinch of salt - no milk or sugar please!!!!! and just bring to the boil and boil while you make tea/coffee/toast etc in the morning or while you have your shower and its fab and quick.
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • I tried it when I first got my slow cooker but it cooked so well overnight that I couldn't eat it and it took ages to clean the dam thing so now I do it in a saucepan or in the microwave .
    :cool:
  • bizzylizzy
    bizzylizzy Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have tried making porridge overnight in the slow cooker and I have to say it was horrible - it went all brown and had a funny sort of taste. The same thing happened when I tried to make a rice pudding in there. Any ideas why?

Porridge overnight was a disaster for me but rice pudding is yummy. I used 2oz pudding rice, 2oz sugar and 1 pt milk. I cooked it on Low for 5 hrs. The first time I left it for longer (abt 6-7 hrs) and it wasn't so nice.
  • bizzylizzy
    bizzylizzy Posts: 642 Forumite
    I love it in the slow cooker. Really creamy.

How long do you cook it for?
  • Does anybody make porridge successfully in their slow cooker? If so, can you tell me what quantities of oats and liquid you use please?

TIA
  • make it in the microwave cheeper, less electric or gas used.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
  • JenPup
    JenPup Posts: 13 Forumite
    I don't have a microwave but I managed porridge in the slow cooker and it turned out really nice.

For one person I use half a cup of oats, 2 cups of water, half a cup of sultanas to make things interesting and a teaspoon of cinamon - put it on last thing at night on low and it's ready first thing in the morning - yum!
  • I don't get it..... I agree with clint why?????

I get sc for main meals and stew etc but porridge wouldthe stove for 5 mins not be more economical or the microwave if you have one??
    Lightbulb moment 10-06-06
    Total debt £36,996.70 June 2006
    Total debt approx £33,000 Oct 2006
    Jan 07....to be worked out but may have gone up GULP:confused: :mad: :eek:
    DFD March 2011
    DFW Nerd 111

19 jan 23 feb 5 weeks:( - grocery challenge £250
  • Heth_2
    Heth_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    I use the microwave for my morning porridge (saves washing up as I just use the cereal bowl I eat from) and it only takes a couple of minutes. If I didn't have a microwave, or if I was making porridge for more than one person, I would use a pan on the hob, it also wouldn't take long.
    We don't have a slow cooker but surely they are best used for things like stews that benefit from being cooked for a long time, to make the meat nice and tender. I'd see it as a waste of energy to cook something for hours in a slow cooker when I could make it in minutes another way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure