credit check with virgin media

I recently moved into a new rental flat at the beginning of January. After seeing the Simplify Digital Virgin media offer on this website I decided to take up that deal. Everything seemed fine, I was given an installation date by text message 2 days ahead of time, and I even rang them to confirm they had the correct address details and stuff.

On the day the installation team never turned up, so i rang the customer services who informed me the installation had been cancelled without telling me. After being passed around several phone depts i found the reason for this cancellation was due to a previous tennent of my flat had a debt of £25 which for some reason has now been linked to my name. Virgin wouldn't go ahead with installation until this had been sorted out. I told them when i rang to open the account I was a new tennent and gave them details of my previous address! It doesn't seem right that they can just attach someone else's debt to my name. Managed to find a complaints form on the Virgin media website, but not sure that'll do much good (anyone have any experience of complaining to virgin?). That was yesterday, today I got into work and checked my internet bank to find that they have also charged me for an installation that never even took place.

Don't really know what to do now. Can they simply pass someone else's debt onto me, and is it my responsibility too prove that i didn't live there at the time? Also I now don't know whether I'm likely to still recieve the £130 cashback from Simplify Digital that i was supposed to get as virgin has cancelled the install. Not sure what the best thing to do next is - any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• You are not liable for any previous tenant's debt. What they've possibly done is just marked that there's a debt at the address and any new accounts are banned. I would send a photocopy of your tenancy agreement with the date you moved in to them in a complaint letter as the debt is not yours and you are in no way liable for it.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    You are not liable for any previous tenant's debt. What they've possibly done is just marked that there's a debt at the address and any new accounts are banned. I would send a photocopy of your tenancy agreement with the date you moved in to them in a complaint letter as the debt is not yours and you are in no way liable for it.
    Plus compensation for a no show???
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • sparky7
    sparky7 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Plus compensation for a no show???

and also attach a cancellation letter saying that if this is how they treat their new customers your not interested and your going to go with o2 instead..
  • Plus compensation for a no show???
    You could ask, but it's up to them and whether they would do it as a goodwill gesture. Unless there was any financial loss there's nothing to say they have to.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I managed to get BT to pay up 1 day of wages for 2 no shows. The day they finally showed up i was at work so they had to do it without me anyway.

As above it was done as a goodwill gesture as i had lots of setup problems that my case was handled by someone more senior at BT in the end.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure