New mattress but what type ?

Comments

• For several years I have slept on two pieces of foam bought from a local mill. The foam is now beginning to disintegrate so I am considering buying a memory foam mattress topper, but reading through the relevant threads I must say I am more confused than when I started. My foam only cost around £30 and I do get a good night's sleep but it raises me up too much and the sheets don't fit over it very well. Is there a minimum kg density I should go for? After doing some research myself the prices seem to vary from £80 to £800 but they don't all seem to give the same information as to thickness/density. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,069
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm very happy with the mattress I bought,half a dozen posts up from here
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    For several years I have slept on two pieces of foam bought from a local mill. The foam is now beginning to disintegrate so I am considering buying a memory foam mattress topper, but reading through the relevant threads I must say I am more confused than when I started. My foam only cost around £30 and I do get a good night's sleep but it raises me up too much and the sheets don't fit over it very well. Is there a minimum kg density I should go for? After doing some research myself the prices seem to vary from £80 to £800 but they don't all seem to give the same information as to thickness/density. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If the reflex foam is diintigrating, then you need to replace the whole lot, and not just add a new topper.
  • Rufty1
    Rufty1 Posts: 95
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Further to my earlier post, I have found the Sealy Pocket 2000 (Latex) Posturepedic very very comfortable but dont want to pay the huge price Sleepmasters want (£900 for KS) This has 1360 springs with another 600 on top and latex on top of that. But it looks like they change the names of the mattresses depending on who the customer is. Can anyone help me to find an equivalent please??? Thanks
  • Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    If the reflex foam is diintigrating, then you need to replace the whole lot, and not just add a new topper.
    Sorry I think you misunderstood - my two pieces of foam are on top of a traditional (fairly new) mattress, which is too hard for me, so I want to add a mattress topper to the existing mattress and get rid of the foam. Is there a minimum thickness I should go for eg.4 inches? I already have a quite expensive memory foam pillow which I don't find very comfortable so I'm wary of making an expensive mistake.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
  • Forgetful
    Forgetful Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    MY opinion is not to get a memory foam type mattress..
    Why??
    Me and hubby have come to the conclusion that are bad aches and pains and my frozen shoulder is the result of using a memory foam mattress for the last 4 to 5 years.

We beleive it is not giving us the support we need.

I have now changed the mattress to a spring one and symtoms seems to be gradually going... Frozen shoulder is still there but not as painful..
  • Tim_Deegan
    Rufty1 wrote: »
    Further to my earlier post, I have found the Sealy Pocket 2000 (Latex) Posturepedic very very comfortable but dont want to pay the huge price Sleepmasters want (£900 for KS) This has 1360 springs with another 600 on top and latex on top of that. But it looks like they change the names of the mattresses depending on who the customer is. Can anyone help me to find an equivalent please??? Thanks

Sealy are part of the Silentnight group.....need I say any more?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Sorry I think you misunderstood - my two pieces of foam are on top of a traditional (fairly new) mattress, which is too hard for me, so I want to add a mattress topper to the existing mattress and get rid of the foam. Is there a minimum thickness I should go for eg.4 inches? I already have a quite expensive memory foam pillow which I don't find very comfortable so I'm wary of making an expensive mistake.

Memory foam won't make your existing mattress any softer. For this you would be better off with reflex foam. Try your local market, as there is often a stall selling foam.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Forgetful wrote: »
    MY opinion is not to get a memory foam type mattress..
    Why??
    Me and hubby have come to the conclusion that are bad aches and pains and my frozen shoulder is the result of using a memory foam mattress for the last 4 to 5 years.

We beleive it is not giving us the support we need.

I have now changed the mattress to a spring one and symtoms seems to be gradually going... Frozen shoulder is still there but not as painful..

Unfortunately there are some very poor memory foam mattresses on the market. And it sounds like you may have bought one.

For the best support go for a combination of pocket springs and memory foam, or latex foam (two sided will last longer if you can find them).
  • Rufty1
    Rufty1 Posts: 95
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Sealy are part of the Silentnight group.....need I say any more?

Ohhhhhhhh heck! And it was by far the most comfortable one I have found. But thanks for the reminder. Gutted.
    I know you have to be careful about recommending anything, but I wonder if anyone else can suggest an equivalent mattress - equivalent on comfort that is, not price!
    Thanks - I want to buy before the budget puts prices up again!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure