Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers

Comments

• laminki
    laminki Posts: 140 Forumite
    0.5% WOW :o Is there no minimum spend with that?
  • Halifax One is officially available to existing customers (they even have a leaflet available to promote the fact)!

Just call the upgrade hotline 08000 325484 and they'll do it in minutes!

As an existing customer you have to wait for and sign new T&Cs and will be issued with a new card number. But you do get full benefits, including 0% BT for 9 months (from cards outside the HBoS group; transfers within the group are at 9.9% or higher).

Notable drawbacks: accrued cashback on existing accounts has to be forfeited. Also, DD mandates have to be replaced. Further, some other terms of Halifax One may be less favourable than some of the better Halifax Platinum cards.
  • TSB Trustcard Visa

Sent an email to Lloydstsb through their website and was told that there were no transfer deals for existing customers and that I should apply for a new card.

Next telephoned them and have been given 6.9% for 6 months.
  • Roland
    Roland Posts: 62 Forumite
    I was a holder of the Marks and Spencer Chargecard since its introduction in the 80's and I was sent the new &More card last October. The card was just put in a drawer until I noticed that there was an offer of 6mths 0% from the account opening. I immediately requested an c/l increase from £2000 to £3000 and then a bt up to the 90% limit.

With the free period due to expire, I called tonight to confirm the expiry date and request an extension. This was refused BUT I was informed that 6 mths int free bts are available at any time. Therefore all I have to do is trans to another card to clear the bal then bt back for 6mths more free credit. :D
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    I was informed that 6 mths int free bts are available at any time. Therefore all I have to do is trans to another card to clear the bal then bt back for 6mths more free credit.  :D
    That's sounds very strange - I hope you got the name of the person that told you that. And can you tell us please?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Looks like Barclays have an (unadvertised) standard rate of 9.9%. The article is fairly recent (July '03) :-/

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmtreasy/125/3070904.htm
  • Roland
    Roland Posts: 62 Forumite
    I was a holder of the Marks and Spencer Chargecard since its introduction in the 80's and I was sent the new &More card last October. The card was just put in a drawer until I noticed that there was an offer of 6mths 0% from the account opening. I immediately requested an c/l increase from £2000 to £3000 and then a bt up to the 90% limit.

With the free period due to expire, I called tonight to confirm the expiry date and request an extension. This was refused BUT I was informed that 6 mths int free bts are available at any time. Therefore all I have to do is trans to another card to clear the bal then bt back for 6mths more free credit.  :D

I rang M&S again tonight and was told that the the first man I spoke to must have misunderstood the situation. There are no free b/ts for existing customers. He seemed to fully understand what he was talking about when I spoke to him.

Also, for Barclaycard holders it is worth checking their latest rates every month or so. A leaflet with details of b/t offers for existing customers was included with my March statement.
  • System
    ;D
    Been playing the credit card game for over 3 years now, ever since I got one of those 0% cahoot cards.
    Now have TWO MBNA cards (and others).
    MBNA are very good with the "loyalty" phone calls, keen to know why big balances get cleared etc. Been offered special offers several times (and used most) varied from 0.9% to current rate of 3.9% .
    I have also been allowed to move the bulk of my credit from existing card to a NEW card at 0%, AND also qualified for a pair of expensive wrist watches - how do they make any money.
    The moneys in the bank earning 4.5 % tax free.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Does this count?

Got a mailing from Sainsbury's Bank (Visa is issued by HBOS) offering 0% on balance transfers "for upto five months", endng on 31 July. Call 08701 542 543, quoting ref "SBT00M05"

This is obviously for existing cardholders, so it may be worth contacting Sainsburys now - before any mailshot is recieved.
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • System
    Best one i ever with bc was 2.8% on balance transfered for the life of the balance. No min spending.

If only i could have transfered my Mortgage across ::)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure