IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN from fistral beach Newquay

A couple of days ago i received a PCN from smart parking at Fistral Beach Newquay.
We had originally parked at harbour car park and paid £9 for the day as my partner was going to a sea fishing trip. The trip was cancelled last minute and we decided to go elsewhere. i paid for my parking using the phone and pay parking app, looking at the app it was giving me an option to move car park, we drove down to fistral beach where we pulled in and i tried to use the move option of the app to transfer car park. Being new to the area and new to using the app i wasn't quite sure how it all worked. once the app wouldn't let me move £9 i had already paid in harbour i decided to give cornwall council a ring and see if i could move car park (i presumed it was ran by the council) when they couldnt help we left the car park and moved on.
Do you think i should appeal against this or should i just pay up?

Comments

• Do NOT just pay up. There is no need.

However, you do need to appeal - with help from people on here.

It would be useful to see a copy of the PCN (with personal and vehicle details redacted).

Does the PCN say how long you were in the car park for? You're supposed to be allowed a grace period in which to read the signs in the car park and decide if you want to stay once you've read the T&Cs. Depending on how long you were there, that could be one of several points to make in your appeal.

More details please. And in the meantime, do not contact Smart Parking and do not say anything on here or to them to identify who was driving the car.
  • Alison1107
    Alison1107 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 8:58PM
    I tried to post a picture but it says i cant as i am a new user sorry. it shows a picture of me entering and exiting the car park. i think i was probably over the grace period time.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,154
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 October 2016 at 6:20PM
    Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then appeal using the BPA template in blue you will find there.

Save lack of grace periods for PoPLA, along with all the other standard appeal points. The important thing at the moment is to send off the initial appeal whilst you research how to beat Not-so-smart at PoPLA.

To post pics, upload them to a web hosting site such as tinypic or photobucket then post the URL here, but change http to hxxp and someone here will change it back to a live link.
    Make sure the web hosting account is not in your real name, personal info is redacted, and there are no other pictures in the account. People have been known to have personal pictures and documents in albums linked to stuff they post here.

Private parking companies monitor these sites.

Also, be wary of posting precise times as PPCs have been known to identify users from that.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,624
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Has the 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' thread become invisible? How are so many new posters missing it?

The first appeal is there already in template form.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Alison1107
    Alison1107 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 8:00AM
    I didn't miss it it was one of the first things i read i did a lot of research using the threads on here before i even posted. I found the NEWBIE FAQ thread very helpful thank you. After that i posted on a thread where someone had a similar incident at the same car park. i was told that if i needed further help i should start my own thread. Thats what i did. i just wanted some advise as to whether it would be worth fighting it under the circumstances stated above.
  • do i have to state what happened within the template or send it just as it is?
  • Fruitcake
    Forumite
    Alison1107 wrote: »
    do i have to state what happened within the template or send it just as it is?

What happened on the day is irrelevant, and you may inadvertently give away the driver's details.

Copy and paste the template, then send it off.

You will the need to research about how to win at PoPLA so you can beat the scammers when they reject your initial appeal.
  • Alison1107 wrote: »
    i just wanted some advise as to whether it would be worth fighting it under the circumstances stated above.

If in doubt, fight it.
  • Thanks for your help. will look into POPLA, sounds like its gonna be a long ride!
  • Fruitcake
    Forumite
    Alison1107 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help. will look into POPLA, sounds like its gonna be a long ride!

Don't miss the deadline for you initial appeal. Get that done and dusted first, then research PoPLA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business