Amex eligibility checker

Amex gave me a 9.5/10 chance of acceptance of all their cards, of course this gives me good confidence to apply.. (British airways)

Then I got rejected.

I haven't applied for any credit in last 6 months and never missed a payment on any credit agreements ever.

Eligibility indicator seems pretty unreliable to me

Comments

• KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Amex gave me a 9.5/10 chance of acceptance of all their cards, of course this gives me good confidence to apply.. (British airways)

Then I got rejected.

I haven't applied for any credit in last 6 months and never missed a payment on any credit agreements ever.

Eligibility indicator seems pretty unreliable to me

U fit in the 0.5 which wont get it

such is life
  • I have very strong doubts about the accuracy of those eligibility calculators. I would ignore that for now and focus on what you can do to make yourself more attractive to Amex over the next few months, then re-apply in 6-12 months.
  • TheEffect
    TheEffect Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got 9/10 on the pre-check on AMEX's site for all their cards, applied for the BA card and was immediately accepted, even though I've had over-average amount of searches and new accounts opened in the last 3 months.

I've found once you're a customer with AMEX and pay them off on time, you wont have much problem opening new accounts with them.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, AMEX's checker gave me a 85% chance of acceptance, and Money Supermarket's eligibility checker gave me 90%. Or visa-versa and then I was rejected
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I had 80% chance of getting an Amex card and it was approved, it wasn't an instant accept it was referred.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,411 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I think I only had 40% chance and I was accepted (18 months ago). To be totally honest I don't really think the eligibility checkers are particularly useful.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I already have an Amex credit card and green card but I went through the eligibility checker and got "9.5/10 You're VERY LIKELY to be approved" for all of the cards listed which looks to be all of the cards they offer. To get that I marked the rewards as "No Preference". What makes me suspicious is that I stated my annual income to be £8K.

So what is VERY LIKELY is that the eligibility checker is only checking the credit history.

I'm not tempted though, I like my green card although the credit card is overkill and destined for cancellation
  • I've just run the eligibility checker for Amex and scored 95%. I'm considering applying for the card mainly as I want to build credit (cashback is just a bonus). Opted for cashback card as I don't want to borrow money/don't need a balance transfer. I've never had a credit card before and at the moment have no credit / debt (other than mortgage). Are the Amex cashback cards good for building credit? I intend to pay it off in full each month...

New here so apologies if I've posted in the wrong place or I'm derailing the original topic. Any advice appreciated - thanks.
  • Hi everyone,

If you have revived a 9.5 out of 10 rating on the eligibility checker then of course that’s a positive sign.

They say they are only doing a soft check on your credit file to determine you eligibility. This is pretty much what they would go by as I have a friend who work for AMEX. It’s very common for them to then ask for proof of ID and address as they aren’t keen on using digital systems which can be positive but negative at the same time as it uses up your time sending documents over.

If they have asked for proof of address and ID, providing you do send theses over, you are pretty much approved.

You should receive an email which says

“ Dear *******

Thank you for your interest in American Express.

We are pleased to tell you that your application is going through our final review. As part of this review, we require two documents from the list below in order to finalise your application”

Providing your ID and proof of address is fine , you will receive the card you applied for, APR and rates may change depending on your individual circumstances.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,411 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Lazarus thread
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business