NHS maternity leave question

Hi all :)

Long story short I have 8.5 years continuous service with trust X (NHS). I am now leaving trust X to work for Trust Y in September however as my previous post included a fully paid secondment (which I am free to leave from as they have not kept a post for me to return to) I will be starting trust Y as a higher band. Now if you can muddle through all that :eek: my question is will I keep my maternity leave entitlement in my new role? As if I had returned to previous trust X I would have kept my full entitlement straight away? Or by moving to trust Y and going up two pay bands will I have to do the obligatory so many weeks prior to being entitled to full mat leave benefits? I am only asking as I hope to start trying for a family again early next year (following MC last year) but I need to ensure I will receive the full NHS mat pay package or we could not afford to do it :(
thank you all
Love my DMP left to pay £0/ £10162.51 :beer:
Est DFD 11/2018
Actual DFD 09/2017
£2 savers club: number 88 £14 so far!
Wombling free number 41 £6 so far!!
Emergency fund £50/£1000

Comments

• MK55
    MK55 Posts: 286 Forumite
    Your employer should give you a letter when starting a new job the letter should advise that your terms and conditions of employment either remain the same or a new contract enclosed for you to sign.

If it's new then the information should be in there, if it's existing then you're no different to what you was doing at Trust X
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    My understanding is that as long as you have continuous NHS service you should be fine, but double check with HR. Most trusts have their policies online so google maternity policy and your new trust name

Also double check agenda for change maternity policies- it says somewhere what weeks of your pregnancy are used to calculate maternity (of the top of my head it's weeks 15-20 or something). We held off ttc as we knew I was going up a band in the next couple of months.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    If they are both NHS Trusts (as opposed to the strange oddments who sometimes run NHS services these days) then all terms & conditions are NHS & transfer with you.
    But I would check - your union should know.
  • Your maternity entitlement goes on your continuous service so you should be fine. The issue is probably what band your maternity pay will be paid on. It is likely you will have to work for a certain time period before being paid on the new band so this is worth looking into before you plan anything (otherwise you will be paid on the most recent pay band).
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Your pay for NHS maternity pay is based on a two week period (I want to say it's around 15 weeks pregnant - remember requesting to work a lot of nights and weekends in that time period to bulk up the pay - but my youngest is 5 so it was a while ago and can't remember the exact dates)
  • katglasgow
    katglasgow Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    please check with your new trust payroll - my husband works for gg&c payroll in scotland and people get caught out by this situation quite often as often it's not transferable.
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    katglasgow wrote: »
    please check with your new trust payroll - my husband works for gg&c payroll in scotland and people get caught out by this situation quite often as often it's not transferable.

I work for NHS Scotland too, the English system works differently to ours with regard to retaining rights when moving between trusts.
  • As long as you have 12 months continuous NHS service 'by the 11th week before the Expected Week of Childbirth' you will be entitled to full NHS maternity.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/your-workforce/pay-and-reward/nhs-terms-and-conditions/nhs-terms-and-conditions-of-service-handbook/parents-and-carers/maternity-leave-and-pay-section-15

My trust worked out my maternity on an average of two months (off the top of my head can't remember which two, by fluke it was the highest paid 2 months during my pregnancy) and you are still entitled to pay increments & annual leave whilst you are off-when I go back in April 2017 I'll have had 14 months off, 2 of which are annual leave, which is great. We are very lucky in the NHS with the maternity pay!
    MFW 2016 #32 £1574.66/£1500:j:j
  • I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if anyone could help answer my question. I know that I am entitled to 8 weeks full pay to start off with. I had worked (banked) extra in Aug (in my own trust) so my sept pay was increased as sept and oct were my qualifying months to average out my full pay. When I got paid I only got the amount I would usually get for my wages even though I Worked an extra week worth of hours that month?? Surely they have made a mistake??
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    You'll have to double check Charlie but I don't think any overtime or bank is included in the calculations, only your substantive hours, but enhancements are included. Do you have a copy of your trust maternity policy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure