Santander Select

Options

Comments

• beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March 2014 at 9:11PM
    Options
    My Santander ISA was fixed at 2.5% until maturity in March when it drops to 2% then to 1.5% on 21 April.

The ISA offer rate for Santander Select is 1.8% fixed for 2 years (the same as 123 account holders). I can get 1.75% fixed for 1 year with Tesco bank! Hardly select. I have a large sum in my ISA account, I wonder if they would offer a better rate if I said I was moving the whole lot out to another bank?

No-one has contacted me yet despite being a Select customer for a couple of months now. Tried emailing them with a question and they emailed back asking me to ring them. Which I didn't.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got 'Select' Status last month and my accounts are now each described as a '123 Gold Current Account' in internet banking.

Apart from the Gold debit card, Select status doesn't seem to be of much use to me either. The share dealing service they offer which I might have been interested in is expensive, even with the 'Select' discounts and they don't seem to have any other exclusive offers or rates just for Select customers.
    The ISA offer rate for Santander Select is 1.8% fixed for 2 years (the same as 123 account holders). I can get 1.75% fixed for 1 year with Tesco bank! Hardly select.

The 'Select' element seems to be an offer to raise the ISA rate if they offer a higher rate to other customers between now and June - rather then a higher rate itself.

Regards
    Sunil

• belfort
    Options
    sjw11 wrote: »
    Just been welcomed into santander select in spite of holding >£75k since 2012, most of it in an isa paying 4.1% :j
    Cannot see any advantage of select for me
    Suspect they are worried about losing me if whatever they offer to replace it does not compare with the best buy tables. Which they will, since they are not in top 10 on cash isa.

Hoping they may offer something better nearer maturity, since they must have an awful lot of money and customers in this account all maturing at the same time

Why would they be worried about losing you?
  • belfort
    Options
    beardiedog wrote: »
    My Santander ISA was fixed at 2.5% until maturity in March when it drops to 2% then to 1.5% on 21 April.

The ISA offer rate for Santander Select is 1.8% fixed for 2 years (the same as 123 account holders). I can get 1.75% fixed for 1 year with Tesco bank! Hardly select. I have a large sum in my ISA account, I wonder if they would offer a better rate if I said I was moving the whole lot out to another bank?

No-one has contacted me yet despite being a Select customer for a couple of months now. Tried emailing them with a question and they emailed back asking me to ring them. Which I didn't.

You wonder if a bank would offer a better rate if you said you were leaving? Do you think they are going to make up a specific ISA rate just for you?

So you emailed them a question and they asked you to call them on a free phone number? Is that unreasonable? I guarantee you the reason they asked this is because you didn't include your contact number in the email you sent
  • HardCoreProgrammer
    Options
    I also received a Santander Select letter (unsealed and popped through the post box with its contents spilling out), and I also have Major Cash ISA which matures on 1 May.

Just got a letter that as a "loyal saver", I have been offered an instant access ISA which pays 1% for balance of £10000+ and 1.5% for £25000+. No offers of fixed rate ISAs.

I am not amused by their service or by their cash ISA interest rates (that said, the 123 account is good), so my money will be going elsewhere, most probably to a stocks and shares ISA.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    I made this thread about a year and a half ago, and since then, the "Select" service has done nothing for me apart from having an extra logo printed on my statements.

I think I got several letters saying "your relationship manager is changing" every so often, but I haven't spoken to any of them ever. In fact, I haven't needed to speak to anyone at Santander for for the past 2 years anyway, except bank tellers when depositing coins, because the nearest HSBC / Metro bank coin machine is too far away

As the 123 account is not for me, I've only had £1000 (earning 5%) with them for the past year, but they haven't seen fit to remove the Select label (or remove the 5% rate from this account...)
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mind me asking how you get 5% interest in Santander? You said "I only have about £20K in my esaver" in your original post. So may be you do have some Select rate?
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    I made this thread about a year and a half ago, and since then, the "Select" service has done nothing for me apart from having an extra logo printed on my statements.

I think I got several letters saying "your relationship manager is changing" every so often, but I haven't spoken to any of them ever. In fact, I haven't needed to speak to anyone at Santander for for the past 2 years anyway, except bank tellers when depositing coins, because the nearest HSBC / Metro bank coin machine is too far away

As the 123 account is not for me, I've only had £1000 (earning 5%) with them for the past year, but they haven't seen fit to remove the Select label (or remove the 5% rate from this account...)

Which account from Santander pays 5%?!
  • katolla
    katolla Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I got this 'invitation' last week. I thought it was spam, didn't bother to read the letter so threw it out.

Has anyone actually tried the service? I need to contact them and was going to do the normal call centre number, is this better? I feel like it won't be.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All there is presently to know about it is on http://www.santanderselect.co.uk/. It's for you to judge whether any of it is of value to you. May be they add specials to it over time, may be they won't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure