PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Happy new thread everyone :D

NSD today, so the remaining £14 of our September budget is still intact. I will, however allow 1 or 2 pieces of the Brie that Mr T currently have on offer for £1 as the offer finishes on Tuesday, whereas I'm not planning a shop til Wednesday when the October budget gets christened :D OH likes the Brie and I feel he doesn't get so many treats nowadays, so I'll pop in at lunchtime tomorrow and get him some more.

I've used up my stocks of frozen soup, so need to get on with making some more. I have ingredients for potato & leek, spicy carrot & tomato, and carrot, sweet potato & butternut squash. Also need to make some Twinks, as we are all out of "goodies" at the moment. So I had better get off my behind and get on with some cooking! :rotfl:
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • Did dreadfully in september, so instead of weekly please put me down for £300 for October and I'll try and do better
  • Hi
    £190 for October please
    Have full freezer and did a big shop yesterday (I do payday to payday). Reduced budget by £10 as we came in at £174 for September - £26 below target. :j Will try and reduce further if we can.
    Already done most of the Xmas shopping, all wrapped up too. Cash gifts will have to wait til savings club pays out at end of November, then done!!!!
    Meal planning done for this week and just need fruit and milk next week. Have enough bread in freezer to sink a battleship - well til the end of October anyway (4 loaves)- all whoopsied!!!!
    Have pickled all beetroot out of garden this weekend. Three jars in total. Have a carrier bag of apples to cut and freeze and the same of green beans that have been given to us. Still loads of tomatoes on plants - I foresee lots of tomato soup!!!
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • Hello - could you please put me down for £150 for October? I will be posting my final figures on the September thread at the end of the month and I have gone way over target but at least I now know where I was going wrong! Wine, Chocolate and Not checking-in here on a regular basis.

Thank you
    Sparkly
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hello - thanks again for this thread.
    I'd like to have a go at £180 please. It's an increase (again) but I found that when I did the £120 and really pushed it, I resorted to carp when tired and not in the mood to cook. I've put on a bit of weight so want to nip that in the bud. Loads of fresh fruit and veg for me this month!!
    w
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    :wave: :dance: WooHoooooo Off we go again! I don't officially start until Monday but I just thought I'd pop on to thank RosieBen Mrs M and the lovely Pink Winged for getting us under way again this month. Much appreciated my lovelies!

Welshwoofs I am in awe of your meal plan!

We're going fo £350 again for two adults, two teenagers, a grumpy old cat plus visitors (of the feline and canine as well as the human variety!) from 29 September (Pay Day) until October 31st which is 33 days and works out at £2.12 per day per household member.

The cat dines on chicken, tuna and prawns plus little bits of whatever we're eating that I don't think will upset his tummy. He's 14 and the last of his brother and sisters left alive so we are molly coddling him a bit to keep him with us as long as we can. He's very handsome as you can see from my avatar!

(I have convinced myself that this is in fact "moneysaving" cos when the cat pops his clogs hubby would like a nice big dog - which will no doubt cost us a fortune in dog obedience classes and replacement chewed slippers and eat like horse!)

Love Jacks (the crazy cat lady who definitely shouldn't have wine with lunch!) xxx :D:o
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • I have still not managed to keep up with this challenge but having cut down in every other area of the budget I must make a more determined effort. I think if I visit the thread more regularly I will be more focused. We have SIL and her hubby here for the week so going for £300. I've cut out all the money off coupons I could find and done an inventory of the freezer so now need to sit down and do menu plan for the week.
    OMG just seen welshwoofs' meal plan for the month!
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • Can you put me done for 200 please. Was on hols in Sept and lost plot but am determined to get back on track.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • This is my menu plan for the main meals in October:

Lamb with baked potatoes and cabbage
    Corned beef pie with brussel sprouts
    Baked fish cutlets with carrots and mashed potatoes
    Turkey and hamm pie with cauliflower
    Rabbit with roast potatoes and brussel sprouts
    Fish pie with peas
    Beef and onions with fried potatoes and broccoli
    Lamb with cabbage and mashed potatoes
    Faggots with cabbage and roast potatoes
    Baked fish with mashed turnips and herb omelette
    Braised ham with carrots, potatoes and salad
    Roast pork with roast potatoes and cauliflower
    Pork with mashed potatoes and apple fritters
    Beef with baked potatoes and kale
    Lamb with fried potatoes and baked lettuce
    Sausages with mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts
    Grilled fish with carrots and boiled potatoes
    Stewed steak with mixed veg and mashed potatoes
    Roast guinea fowl with carrots and roast potatoes
    Minced guinea fowl with boiled rice and brussel sprouts
    Lamb with cabbage and baked potatoes
    Toad in the hole with cauliflower
    Irish stew
    Fish with mashed potatoes and kale
    Lamb chops with mixed veg and rice
    Roast pheasant with parsnips, cauliflower, potatoes and brussel sprouts
    Vegetable casserole
    Lamb with potato and cabbage
    Sausages, mashed potatoes and cabbage.
  • Oooh I love a new shiny thread to post on!! Thank you rosie and Pink and MrsM!

Welshwoofs I am so impressed with your meal plan! I struggle to work out what I am cooking for the next 7 days never mind a whole month!

Still eating free food today from my OH's mum who baked him a huge ham and egg pie (his fave) and a strawberry trifle for his birthday yesterday. Plus we have a huge birthday cake to get through!

My month started on the 26th and so far we haven't had to buy anything but I know we are out of washing powder so will have to give in and do a small top up shop tomorrow. Plus we have people coming to dinner on Tuesday as a belated birthday evening for the OH so that will involve some spending, though it will be worth it!

Good luck everyone with your challenge for this month.

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure