IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Napier Parking County Court Claim

Comments

• apologies particulars on the form on behalf of my friend
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    apologies particulars on the form on behalf of my friend

Get him/her over here.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2016 at 4:59AM
    I think a degree of misunderstanding has arisen about the "jurisdiction" issue not assisted by the OP who has equivocated slightly and has hopped from using "my" to "my friend". The subsequent discussion about submitting a defence has confused things further.

"Jurisdiction" does indeed relate to what and how a court can hear but in order to get as far as a court hearing (even if that just amounts to the obtaining of a default judgment) the court has to be satisfied that a claim has been properly served on the defendant.

A defendant who resides within the UK but outside of the jurisdiction (which is just England & Wales) so in other words Scotland or Northern Ireland can be served by "normal" means (postally) but the permission of the court must have been obtained in advance.

If the defendant resides outside of the UK then it is possible for them to be served (again with the court's permission) but the costs become extremely high generally because personal service has to be effected, usually by a process server who may well have to supply a notarised affidavit to prove service (anyone who has had to have documents notarised recently will have an idea of the likely costs that entails) and have copies of the documents he served sealed. This is not a cheap exercise and for the recovery of £143 just isn't a viable option.

I suspect that the proceedings have been issued using Moneyclaim Online (otherwise known as MCOL) and Northampton have failed to intercept the case because their postcode database is not bombproof. Gladstones have not included any additional charge for obtaining the necessary permission which leaves two simple options. Either the address at which the claim has been served is within the jurisdiction and it is just the defendant who isn't or they have not obtained the necessary permission.

The OP needs to let us know the following:

1. Is the address at which the claim has been issued within England and Wales or elsewhere within the UK?

2. When the OP states that "his friend" "...is outside the jurisdiction" does he mean that they are on holiday, an extended trip or genuinely resident elsewhere?

3. Was the claim issued by MCOL Northampton; The CCMC Salford (although I think we can rule that out as the claim is for a fixed amount) or a local county court?

Without this further clarification I suggest that there is actually little more advice that can be offered and the advice to prepare and file a defence is, for the moment, redundant.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    do you have any guidance on completing my defence letter?

Perhaps you could add schizophrenia to the list above.
  • 1. Is the address at which the claim has been issued within England and Wales or elsewhere within the UK? - yes the claim has been issued in England

2. When the OP states that "his friend" "...is outside the jurisdiction" does he mean that they are on holiday, an extended trip or genuinely resident elsewhere? - my friend works nights and i offered to help him in obtaining advice on how to resolve the matter.

3. Was the claim issued by MCOL Northampton; The CCMC Salford (although I think we can rule that out as the claim is for a fixed amount) or a local county court?- the claim was issued by County Court Business centre , Northampton however it states all documents and payments should be sent to Gladstones Solicitors limited cheshire

many thanks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2016 at 12:33PM
    If the defendant resides outside of the UK then it is possible for them to be served (again with the court's permission) but the costs become extremely high ...

It is indeed expensive. As British Consul in Houston in 1986, I had to serve a writ on an appellant, it took me three hours at, at that time, £80 an hour.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    1. Is the address at which the claim has been issued within England and Wales or elsewhere within the UK? - yes the claim has been issued in England

2. When the OP states that "his friend" "...is outside the jurisdiction" does he mean that they are on holiday, an extended trip or genuinely resident elsewhere? - my friend works nights and i offered to help him in obtaining advice on how to resolve the matter.

3. Was the claim issued by MCOL Northampton; The CCMC Salford (although I think we can rule that out as the claim is for a fixed amount) or a local county court?- the claim was issued by County Court Business centre , Northampton however it states all documents and payments should be sent to Gladstones Solicitors limited cheshire

many thanks
    I apologise. My first question was badly worded. I think we were already aware that the claim had been issued in England. What I am driving at is whether or not the address the claim has been served at is in England & Wales.

I appreciate that you are trying to be discreet but that doesn't help in this situation. If you friend normally resides in England & Wales (the jurisdiction) and the address at which the claim has been served is his normal residence then there is no jurisdictional issue here.

If the contrary is true then there is a jurisdictional issue that it would appear Gladstones have failed to properly address.

Ok. So it would appear that the claim has been issued via MCOL. Just to clarify, in the box to the centre-right of the front page of the Claim Form are there details that would enable your friend to log on to acknowledge and deal with the claim? (I'm not asking you to divulge those details here simply to confirm that they are present).
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    The answer provided to question 2 also doesn't in any way relate to the question asked. We don't need to know what shifts the friend works, we need to know WHERE he lives (generically) ... England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Somewhere else?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    M7800281-Tooth_extraction-SPL.jpg
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • yes he is a resident in england
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family