PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Loaf Tin sizing help

Feel like making some dough in breadmaker and then baking it in oven later on. Only problem is ... don't know what size tin to use.
Please could someone who knows tell me the dimensions of a 1lb tin and a 2lb tin. I've got a loaf tin but I've got no idea which size it is.
Any help much appreciated
Nell

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi, Nell, and welcome to Old Style!

Mine are 22cm x 12cm (at the top) x 6cm deep. They're 2lb.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I just make mine into a sausage shape and cook on an oiled baking sheet!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • vfairbrass
    vfairbrass Posts: 153 Forumite
    I'd love an answer to this question too.
    I have a tin that I think is half a pound size (l*w*d) 6 inch*4.5 inch*2.5 inch
    One that I take to be one pound at 8 inch*4.5 inch *2.5 inch
    One that I take to be two pound 10 inch *5.5 inch * 3 inch

None have their sizes on them so I've always had to guess.
    Valerie
  • Solwaykid
    Solwaykid Posts: 853 Forumite
    My 2lb loaf tin holds exactly 1 litre of water, full to the brim,if you don't have a tape measure handy. Sorry to mix metric and imperial!
    One debt v 100 days Part 14 £400/£400
    One debt v 100 days Part 13 £329.66/£380
    One debt v 100 days Part 12 £380/£450

One debt v 100 days Part 11 £392.50/£400

• madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    I like baking bread on a tray, makes a nice change from standard loaf shaped loaves!

You could make a cob loaf (round, cut a cross in the top), a plait (long sausage, cut almost all the way along the length then plait like hair), a bloomer (long sausage, diagonal cuts in the top).
  • nell2
    nell2 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to make baguettes with a French bread recipe and it worked really well.
    However, I am now off to measure my loaf tin to see what size it is for future reference. Liked the idea of measuring it by volume Solwaykid!
    Am also feeling inspired to try some different shapes. Just another quick question though, do you brush a bit of vegetable oil on the tray to stop the bread sticking if you are doing a bloomer or the like, or is that not necessary? Also, do you oil your loaf tins?
  • nell2
    nell2 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Well I've measured it and checked its volume. It's 12.5 x 22.5 x 6 and it holds about 1050 ml of water so I guess that makes it a 2lb one. It doesn't look very big to me, but I've got nothing to compare it to.
    Thanks for your helpful measurements once again everyone!
  • JennyB
    JennyB Posts: 224 Forumite
    Hello

A slightly odd question but I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help out.

I've recently purchased a long desired Kenwood Chef which has boosted my enthusiasm about making bread to use for my daily lunchtime sandwich. Pret are going to miss my custom but my wallet is going to love this change!

The problem is that my current loaf tins are really for making cakes and when I make bread in them I end up with really small slices which aren't a lot of use for sandwiches.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a good size of loaf tin to use for making bread for sandwiches?

I'm hoping to find a tin that will make "proper" sized sandwiches! :D

Any suggestions on where to buy such tins would also be appreciated. All the shops I've located so far are more geared towards cake baking so the choice of potentially suitable tins is limited.

Thanks for your help. :beer:
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Jenny,
    I use standard 2lb loaf tins. These are widely available, but it sounds like they're the sort you already have. If you want your bread to be the same size as a sliced packet loaf then I'm not sure I can help, sorry.

Anyone else know?
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there

I generally use a 2lb tin, i do have a bigger one but it makes huge slices..
    if you leave your bread to rise to about 1-2" above the top or the tin and then slash it length ways (it stops it going wonky, and leaning when it bakes).... you should get "proper sized slices"... how much dough are you putting in your tin? could it be that there isn't enough to make a big loaf? I use 500g flour in a 2lb tin... hope it helps.. let me know if you want the recipe..i make it by hand and its a doddle
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport