PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Comments

• Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It was lovely! I really enjoyed it!

(I'm often at a bit of a loss what to have on a sunday as my parents have the whole sunday roast thing, and being veggie i dont...)
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • My son is not veggie but is off to Uni soon and is happy to eat veggie for cheap meals. However, he doesn't like tomatoes and is not keen on sauces. I am veggie and thus find it difficult to find meals without. We eat a lot of casseroles, chillis, cauliflower cheese etc. My son hates this type of thing and likes fish/chicken/veggie sausages etc with veg and rice/pasta. I am aware that these foods are much more expensive than my veggie food. Can anyone suggest an easy cook book that would suit him? My daughter will be in the same boat in a couple of years except that she is veggie and veggie alternatives to meat (quorn etc) are even more expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • has anyone tried the hearty sausage hotpot yet?
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,034 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For a very quick and easy vegetarian dish, I spread a thick layer of tinned refried beans onto a soft-flour tortilla or wrap, dot a few slices of jalapeno pepper (from a jar, usually) onto this, top with a handful of grated cheese, and finally press another wrap on top to make a big round 'sandwich', then fry it gently for 5 mins on each side in a large oiled frying pan.

Turning it over to cook on the second side can be a bit tricky, so I usually slide it onto a dinner plate and invert it that way before sliding back into the frying pan.

They are delicious, and SO FILLING.
  • what are refried beans? i've never seen them, are they in the same place as kidney beans/chick peas in the supermarket? what type of beans are they?
  • For refried beans just buy a can of pinto beans, set one half aside, blitz the other half, mix the two together , season and add a little tobasco. Avoid the nasties in the tinned stuff.
  • eve75_2
    eve75_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    hi there, I made mushroom stroganof for tea tonight, even the kids liked it and they hate mushshrooms. It feeds 5. Put your brown rice on to cook. In a largeish frying pan put 400g sliced mixed mushrooms i used button, chestnut and flat. Fry these in 2 tbsp butter. Add a tin of homepride white wine sauce to the shrooms and their juice. Simmer for 20mins. Add salt, pepper and 250ml sour cream. Simmer for 3mins and serve with the rice. Yum
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We're not veggie but only have meat twice a week and fish once, so veggie meals the rest of the time. A few of our staples are:

Cheese and Potato Pie (a different one to above tho ;) )

150g plain flour
    75g butter or marg
    Cold water to bind
    2 medium-large potatoes
    About 50-100g cheese

Peel the potatoes. Cube them. Cook in a pan of boiling water (from the kettle) for 10 mins or until tender. Drain and mash (you can add butter, milk, pepper if you like.) Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips to make it look like crumbs. Stir in about 4 tablespoons of water or until it comes together (a blunt knife is best for this.) Roll out half of the pastry and use to line a greased pie plate or side plate. Fill with the mash. Top the mash with cheese. Roll out the rest of the pastry as a lid. Press the edges into place. Cut a couple of slits in the top. Bake in a preheated oven set at Gas Mark 6/200C for 40 minutes.

Nice with baked beans. (Serves 4)

Lentil Pasta

400g can of plum tomatoes
    4 heaped tablespoons of red lentils
    1 teaspoon of oregano (optional)
    100g-200g pasta (depending on how may you are servving, 2-4 respectively)
    Some grated cheese to turn it into a Lentil Pasta Bake

Cook the tomatoes, mushed up, with the lentils and oregano for 20 minutes until thickened and the lentils are tender. Meanwhile, you cook the pasta for 10. Drain the pasta and stir into the sauce. If you prefer, tranfer now to an oven dish, top with cheese and grill to melt or bake for 10 mintues at Gas Mark 6/200C.

Veggie Cottage Pie

Prepare the tomato sauce as above, adding a grated carrot and handful of frozen peas 5 mins before the end of cooking time. Transfer to an oven dish. Top with mash. Bake in the oven set at Gas Mark 6/200C for 20 mins.

Moussaka

Prepare the tomato sauce as above. Put 2 layers each of the sauce and a sliced aubergine in a shallow dish, finishing with aubs. Beat an egg with 150ml yoghurt and pour over the top. Top with some cheese. Bake at Gas Mark 6/200C for 40 minutes.

Lasagne

Prepare the tomato sauce as above, then layer in a shallow dish with lasage sheets (I do 2 layers of each.) Make up white sauce by melting 2 tablespoons of butter or marg, stir in 2 of pplain flour; cook for a minute or two. Gradullay stir in 250ml milk until a smooth, thick sauce. Pour over the lasagne. Top with a little cheese. Bake in a Gas Mrk 6/200C oven for 40 minutes.

Forgot to say, for the Moussaka and Lasagne, I add about 200ml water from the kettle to the tomato sauce and a squirt or tomato puree so it goes further for the layers... sorry!
    Love and compassion to all x
  • kianicky
    kianicky Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i'll def be trying some of these recipes :D been a very strict veggie for almost 17 years now :D thanks for posting them :D
    Vegetarian's Do Not!!!! eat fish :mad:

2015 comp wins: July: Travel wallet (Yazoo competition) :j :t
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,034 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Want2bemortgage3: refried beans come in a tin, and look like a thick paste. I usually buy the ones made by Old El Paso:

http://www.britishfooddirect.com/images/344-348-oldp-refried.jpg

which are located in the same aisle as the other mexican foods (taco shells, nacho boxes etc) in the supermarket. I hadn't thought to buy a tin of pinto beans and mash them up myself, but that's a great idea (and a bit cheaper too!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure