Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Comments

• debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    it was just about my past addresses
  • I have actually been approved for the DRO last month. I did not know the approximate balances owing but had all the companies. I did my DRO through Baines & Ernst and the gentleman I spoke to was one of the most nicest persons I had ever come through. He basically went through everything with me, income / expenditure, asked how I got into this trouble. They are one of the I think there are only 4 or 5 listed companies who can actually do this. After everything he told me straight out that there was a 98% it would go through. They say the turnover is 24 hours, however, mine was 48 hours and the waiting is the worst part. The thing that worried me the most was what if it does not get approved by the official receiver, that is £90 down the drain.

The only thing that I am stressed with is opening a bank account.
  • Godiva500
    Godiva500 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done you xx. You must have had Lawrence at B&E - he is great isn't he. Try the Co-op for your cashminder bank account - really good.
  • davey001
    davey001 Posts: 47 Forumite
    In relation to DROs:

Would a basic bank account have to be given up or have restrictions on it.. would the Bank be informed of the DRO? (Currently has small unused overdraft facility with no debt owed)

Would Bank statements have to be supplied to the receiver to apply for a DRO and if so, for what period (6 months?)

Would you have a home visit by an official? or would it all be done through the post?

Would you have to visit Court (as in bankruptcy?)
    Never sign anything!
  • debrag
    they are still sorting out my past address's I think as I haven't heard anything from the IS since I emailed them to her on Tuesday.
  • Walkinshaw
    Walkinshaw Posts: 78 Forumite
    ^ I can't say for def but from what little I know:

1/ If there's no debt to the bank (and I include credit cards and loans as well as overdrafts) or sister bank (ie - natwest/RBOS) then the bank account is fine.

2/ Latest statements of all creditors are required.

3/ All done through phone and post. (Well it is with the CCCS)

4/ No

I have my final appointment to go through the application on the 5th. Had a lovely lady called Fay help me and pass me to a man who registered me with the IS and enabled the barcoded letter to be sent out. Will have it all paid by the 5th so it can be submutted and will hopefully know either way by the tenth.

Just 2 weeks to get through!

Good luck everyone :)
  • elfieb
    elfieb Posts: 530 Forumite
    davey001 wrote: »
    In relation to DROs:

Would a basic bank account have to be given up or have restrictions on it.. would the Bank be informed of the DRO? (Currently has small unused overdraft facility with no debt owed) Your "safe" account wont be affected

Would Bank statements have to be supplied to the receiver to apply for a DRO and if so, for what period (6 months?) No statements were required in my case, just balances as up to date as I could provide.

Would you have a home visit by an official? or would it all be done through the post? All done via phone, letter or email

Would you have to visit Court (as in bankruptcy?) Nope

Hope this helps:p
    I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
    Mae West
  • davey001
    davey001 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Thanks folks.

Finally.. any info on how your credit file is effected? Cleared after a year? or perhaps 6 yrs? Marked "DRO" in the meantime i should guess?
    Never sign anything!
  • elfieb
    elfieb Posts: 530 Forumite
    davey001 wrote: »
    Thanks folks.

Finally.. any info on how your credit file is effected? Cleared after a year? or perhaps 6 yrs? Marked "DRO" in the meantime i should guess?

Credit file will be shot, in a similar way to bankruptcy. 6 years before it drops off!
    I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
    Mae West
  • debrag
    YAY!!! Just got my letter today to tell me my DRO has been approved!!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback