We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chris25, it's probably down to grey squirrels....

My pet hen died a few days ago and I'm still upset about that. The pheasant is still around but I don't like to go out there too much just now....I just put feed out and that's it :(
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    Chris25, it's probably down to grey squirrels....

My pet hen died a few days ago and I'm still upset about that. The pheasant is still around but I don't like to go out there too much just now....I just put feed out and that's it :(

Oh no...sorry to hear about your pet hen. Losing a pet is always difficult.

Today my birds are hanging onto the feeders for dear life - the very high winds were sending the feeders up into a horizontal position, even saw a little chaffinch getting blown down onto the ground.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I put some seed out on the ground yesterday for the bigger birds and was surprised to see the Magpie tucking in, he usually comes in for the water dish or if I have bird nuts down and will ignore the seed.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I like their colouring, Kx, but not their ways.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A sparrowhawk touched the window where I'm sitting with my laptop yesterday! We then went into the kitchen and he came there, too! Then we opened the door and he was sitting on the fence but flew off. I know they are after the tiny birds but still a stunning display so close!

I agree with Ken that Magpies are pretty to look at but I really hope they don't settle here, they are worse egg robbers than crows...
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • KxMx
    edited 16 November 2014 at 4:08PM
    Options
    People are entitled to have their own thoughts and feelings about birds but when it comes to nature I do not discriminate or have prejudices.

I welcome magpies, starlings, collared doves, wood pigeons, all of whom some see as vermin.

After all they settled the balance amongst themselves (more than likely) long before we came along. And such behaviour is not done out of malice or greed but an instinct to survive. Hard as though it can be for us to see. Nature is not always a pretty picture.

Those that condemn a certain species of bird for the "harm" they cause through the natural cycle of nature would do well to think on the (at times unnatural) impact humans have on the species as a whole, plastic, multi car households, chemicals, paving over gardens for aesthetic reasons etc.

Just my 2p :)
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Yes agree Kx, just been catching up on Life Story, iPlayer. David Attenborough, nature is harsh.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My peanut feeders attracts huge crows/ravens which I actively discourage by banging on the window. Of course they will return and are not too discouraged....

Still got thrushes trying to get the sunflower hearts/seeds - they do make me laugh as they're not really built for it or skilled at it. Sparrows are moving in. Tits fly in immediately after I bang the window and take advantage of the short time without others. Chaffinches are getting brave - when I appear at the kitchen window all the little birds fly off but they just look at me and carry on feeding. Goldfinches keep looking at me and then fly off.

Hours of entertainment!
  • KxMx
    Options
    I've noticed in the past week the starlings are back, not too hard to miss their visits with all the squabbling that goes on!

Blackbirds have also come back, I don't call it winter until I see them each year :) I have one male and one female and they hate each other. She usually gets the best of him though!
  • Poppy_Golightly
    Options
    I reuse old chipped china cups as bird feeders on top of my fence posts, but as you can see other species also like to dip in :)

Ericonteacup1_zps1f83047f.jpg
    Flowers are sunshine for the soul
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family