How to calculate your deferred pension?

Dear All,

Wonder whether anyone has a formula for calculating the value of deferred pensions.I appreciate any calculation will be "rough" because we don't know what level of inflation there will be when I retire in 2023.

I have asked a similar question previously,but at that time i was hopeful of returning to work-unfortunately my wife will not be improving to enable me to do this.

I have my state pension which will generate approx £5800 and possibly £7280 when the new plans come into being for flate rate pensions.I have my 30 years NI contributions.
I also have 2 deferred final salary pensions(both closed now).

The first pension is valued at £6600 a year.(Final pensionable salary £54,000).The pre 2009 excess pension of £4770 will rise with inflation to a max of 5% pa until my retirment age. The post 2009 excess pension of £1830 will rise at 2.5% a year.

The 2nd pension is valued at £9757 a year,GMP £1026 & Excess over GMP £8730.(Final pensionable salary of £46,000)+ an AVC fund of £13,000.
At 65 I have 2 options with this pension-either
1.Estimated main plan pension of £16,500 a year + AVC of £13K or
2.estimated reduced main pension plan of £12342 + pension commencement lump sum of £69000 + AVC of £13K.

My GMP is revalued at a fixed rate of £4.5% A YEAR(COMPOUND)between my date of leaving in 2003 and my 65th birthday in 2023.
My excess pension is revalued in line with scheme rules,broadly mirroring inflation up to a maximum of 5% per year.

What would my approximate pensionable value be or how would I calculate it?.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Regards
Gary.

Comments

• sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,716
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think - but I stand to be corrected - it's a bit like this:

GMP=GMP at leaving x (1.045)^20
    as there's 20 years between leaving the scheme and retiring

Excess over GMP = Excess at leaving * (1+factor/100)

The factor comes from this revaluation table update each year by the government:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/2952/article/2/made

So if you left in 2003, you'd use the factor 34.5%

The post excess 2009 will be a similar calculation to the GMP, ie.

Post excess = post excess at leaving x 1.025^(2023-year of leaving)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,719
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You have 30 years of NI.

wont' you now need 35 for the new flat rate? I thought it was going up?
  • Thanks Sandsy and Atush,
    Will try the calculations you sent me.Atush, I'm with you, i thought I now had to have 35 years NI contributions,but I was told it was still 30??
    Will check with tax office on Monday.
    Thanks again.
    Gary.
  • bilbo51
    bilbo51 Posts: 519 Forumite
    Thanks Sandsy and Atush,
    Will try the calculations you sent me.Atush, I'm with you, i thought I now had to have 35 years NI contributions,but I was told it was still 30??
    Will check with tax office on Monday.
    Thanks again.
    Gary.
    I bet they still tell you 30 years because the legislation needed for the proposed flat rate pension arrangements has yet to be enacted. The proposal is that you would need 35 years in 2023 if that is your state pension age.
  • Thanks Bilbo,

I was born in May 1958 and according to new legislation I can retire in 2024 when i am 66(although I can draw my pensions when I am 65 in 2023).
    I think you are right though re the 35 years not enacted yet unfortunately:(
    Thanks for replying
    Gary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family