Screen wash in radiator !

Options
GEEGEE8
GEEGEE8 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
:o I seem to have put half a mug roughly of (ready to use) screen wash in my radiator filler, as opposed to the screen wash filler...

I've put a whole bottle of plain water in there now to dilute it, and it's full to the brim.

What else can I do? Is it a problem?

What a numpty I am.. :o
9/70lbs to lose :)

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    drain the whole system
    flush with clean water(a hose is best) refill with correct concentrate of coolant
  • GEEGEE8
    Options
    How do I drain it?

Will it cause a problem if left in?
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Never fill a cooling system above the max mark. To drain you could take the bottom hose off the radiator. I would suggest to simply empty it, fill the system with tap water, run the engine (with the cap off) to circulate it and mix with everything else in the system until that's hot and the fan has turned on and off. Then drain this and put in the correct type of coolant at the correct level of dilution.
  • GEEGEE8
    Options
    Shall I just take it to Kwik Fit around the corner from me? I have no idea what type of coolant to put in it..
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I doubt very much whether it will do any harm at all. If you don't know what you are doing, draining and refilling it might cause more problems than it solves.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GEEGEE8 wrote: »
    Shall I just take it to Kwik Fit around the corner from me? I have no idea what type of coolant to put in it..
    If you like.
    Use some initiative. You have been given some advice. Now carry out the solution.
  • GEEGEE8
    Options
    I'm going to try to get some of the water out of the filler tank thing, apart from that I think i may have flushed out most of the screen wash with the bottle of water i tipped into it..

I would use initiative, but I have no idea about cars at all, and I don't want to end up with a bigger problem in the long run..
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.staplesdisposables.com/uploaded_photos/SPD852%20merged%20I1.pdf[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]suggests that the main ingredient is alcohol with a flash point of 23 degrees, I can’t see it’ll do any harm but if you let the car warm up with the rad cap off it’ll boil off and you can top up with the correct fluid.[/FONT]
  • GEEGEE8
    Options
    3346978831_82de8abae1.jpg

I tipped it in the white bottle, top left. Hope it is the radiator filler..
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    Options
    It won't do any harm. Cheap antifreeze used to have alcohol as its main ingredient.

If it's too full, remove some from the expansion tank (white bottle), down to the correct level. Don't try and drain it. If you do you run the risk of introducing air locks into the cooling system. Believe me, you do not want that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure