How to stop crying at a funeral

2»

Comments

• i think its only natural that people cry at funerals. I have started to cry a couple times when ive passed churches and other people are crying and i dont even know the people.
    I kind of know what you mean though, i feel a bit funny about crying loads at funerals, my face goes really red and swollen and is quite embarassing.
    Hope you will be ok though, let it all out if you need to, there is nothing wrong with it
    x
  • dawnteabag
    dawnteabag Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Thank you so much everyone. I know it's ok to cry, but I can't stop when I get started. You are a lovely bunch of people and some really sweet replies. I will let you know how it goes.

Hpe all goes well. I'm a sobber so know how you feel. My tip is lfocus on something above eye level in the distance - that way you can listen but somehow feel a bit detached - avoid eye contact with anyone who might 'set you off' and if the worrst comes to the worst, stick your finger nails into your hands. Beware tho - this can leave marks on your hands for the rest of the day if you do it too much ;-)
  • a_sav
    a_sav Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Bachs-Rescue Remedy the spray has really helped me this year at funerals hth and all goes well
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I cry too - seems there are a lot of us about.;)

I lost a really good friend last year (51) and cried all the way through. I felt terrible because her partner, sister, B-I-L, nephew etc all managed not to. I know it's nothing to be ashamed of, but if they can all manage it why can't I?

Take a pair of dark glasses, in addition to your hankies and Rescue Remedy pastilles or liquid drops. On occasions when I have not been too bad at funerals I try and avoid looking at the closest relatives because I can't bear seeing their distress and that sets me off.
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    a_sav wrote: »
    Bachs-Rescue Remedy the spray has really helped me this year at funerals hth and all goes well

That is what I was going to say. I bought some for my sister in law and it helped her but don't worry too much.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • puss14
    puss14 Posts: 310 Forumite
    I am also quite emotional at funerals. Recently I want to my aunties funeral and my dad commented that it was the younger generation that found the service most difficult. Possibly he was referring to my cousins and I and I did feel like a bit embarrassed as I try not to be too emotional in public but surely a funeral is an ok place to cry? I was coping ok until my cousin (aunties son) spoke about his mum and was having a difficult time keeping it together and that was it I was gone. Surely crying helps with the grieving process and people who are there all cared about the person who passed regardless of their outward reactions.
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
  • bellamonkey
    bellamonkey Posts: 77 Forumite
    Hi everyone.

Would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who replied to my call of help. It was all very useful information. Luckily it was a bright day so wore sunglasses, which I felt hid some of my tears. I drank lots of camomile tea before I went and took Bach Remedy lotion (I think I nearly finished the bottle). Also looking slightly upwards did help hold some of the tears back. It was a very sad day but was helped by all you lovely people. Yes, and 'It is Ok to cry a funerals'. I still sobbed my heart out, but it didn't matter.
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who replied to my call of help. It was all very useful information. Luckily it was a bright day so wore sunglasses, which I felt hid some of my tears. I drank lots of camomile tea before I went and took Bach Remedy lotion (I think I nearly finished the bottle). Also looking slightly upwards did help hold some of the tears back. It was a very sad day but was helped by all you lovely people. Yes, and 'It is Ok to cry a funerals'. I still sobbed my heart out, but it didn't matter.

Pleased to know that you got through it okay x Tears are very healing and do help the grieving process. x x Take care X X
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• honeybear_2
    honeybear_2 Posts: 3,914 Forumite
    Sending you hugs, babe. Glad you got through it ok
    xx
    @ LBM = £15,872.65, now £10,819.82
    AF Jan = 7/? Feb = 5/14 Mar = 14/20 Apr = 6/14 May = 2/14 June 2/14 July 0/TF Aug 1/TFv Sept 6/TF Oct 4/7
    "NEVER DOUBT YOUR OWN QUALITY"
  • far2812
    far2812 Posts: 919 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    WEll I think we're all the same - I cry at the thought of funerals however - a priest once gave me a tip - he told me to count all the flowers one by one in the church if I didnt feel I could cope!

Kind of works!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure