The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Free ebooks for anyone with an electronic reader

Comments

• pjw123_2
    pjw123_2 Posts: 28 Forumite
    matimage wrote: »
    I am rather tempted by one of these but I cannot believe the price of the books! They seem to be charging the same as the full price hardbacks!
    Surely its much cheaper to produce the electronic version of the book rather than paper, print, distribute etc? You would also think the electronic version could be produced directly from the authors original manuscript in this digital day and age so the amount of work involved producing them should be tiny?
    Why isn't this reflected in the consumer price? Until they realise this an sort it out I cannot see them shifting many units.
    Surely the kind of person who would want an ereader have all the books you can get for free anyway?
    I checked out prices in Waterstones, and in fact you end up paying more for e-books, as you dont get any 3 for 2 deals or similar. I am making do with my nintendo and 100 books (plus downloads apparently) as there is something appealing about reading from an electronic gadget. Good for holiday reading too, less to carry.
    cheers
    pjw
  • https://www.ebookcrescent.com is pretty good and has a fair few books in the sales so good prices as well.
    :D:rolleyes:;):cool::o:rolleyes:;):o:o:cool:
  • I can't download free ebooks from floodle.net because of the following error

"Ebook download error - Ebooks only available if you download directly from http://www.floodle.net, if you have tried to download it from there then it's likely you have Norton Internet Security running with the anonymize option enabled - temporarily disabling this option will allow the downloads to work"

I don't think it's a good idea to disable my firewall. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • nic1lou2
    nic1lou2 Posts: 686 Forumite
    I don't know about anybody else but I really struggle getting books from sites other than Waterstones to download. I am right asking for epub version for my Sony e-reader? Downloads then go to the Adobe Digital editions is that right? then do I need to import to my ebook library? or am I doing something wrong - fed up of paying Waterstones prices!
    "Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you are up to........"
    :D Dieting ........... is no piece of cake!!!!:D
    Weight loss since January 2011 - 5st 5 lbs!!!!!
  • I use Feedbooks regularly, and list my own novel Mortal Ghost with them. They provide multiple e-formats, including a Kindle-compatible one, are reliable with formatting, and answer email questions promptly and expertly. Highly recommended!
  • @nic1lou, Try Feedbooks, as I've said. They also have good instructions at the site on how to download in a variety of formats. If you're still having trouble, write to Hadrien there and he will surely help you.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sarah2000h wrote: »
    I don't think it's a good idea to disable my firewall. Does anyone have any ideas?

If you trust the site you can usually add it as an exception.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • kacetwo
    kacetwo Posts: 17 Forumite
    For Sci-fi/fantasy fans there is lots of new stuff legally at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

BUT if you like go and buy some of the even newer stories
  • epsom
    epsom Posts: 31
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    By far (for me), the best free e-book site:

http://www.scribd.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing