PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Options
    couple of bits of unusual winter prep I need to do, get the back security light working and report a streetlight that is out right opposite our house. Amazing how dark it is with these new LED streetlights, one out and its pitch black around our cars. Worried about opportunist criminals. I invested in a used set of mangy alloy wheels a few years ago and got winter tyres fitted, they go on in December and are superb in cold wet weather.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Was 3C here this morning and 2C the other day. Nights drawing in a lot now. Yaaay I do love cosy dark nights ...
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The air has changed here on the south east coast and for the past few days there's been that nip to the breeze and some beautiful mists in the mornings. It's still getting up to low 20's by early afternoon but it drops quickly as the suns not high enough to keep it going.

Managed to pick up 2 brand new thermal t-shirts in a local CS this week, luckily they were in the half price section too so £3 for both. I was just about to order some so it saved me a fortune.

Chimney sweep is coming on Monday and we're stocked for wood and coal. I've started putting the summer clothes away as they've been washed and all my autumn/winter stuff is now in the wardrobe. Started the garden tidy, everything has been cut back and beds dug over where required and everything's gone to the tip, just the garden furniture to put away once the garage has been tidied.

I've loved being able to light a few tea lights of an evening and pull the curtains, cosy!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I put my quilt on my bed last night. During the summer I just have the cover on the bed, then normally I put a blanket over the foot of the bed for a few weeks in the autumn before I put the quilt on. However its gone very chilly overnight here so the quilt (only a summer weight one) is on my bed and DD will be putting her one on when we change her bed tomorrow. The dog is wanting to wear his jumper and snuggle lots as well but I will NOT put the heating on yet. I'm going to wait for a wet day and try it then. Its not due a service for a while and that's the landlady's responsibility anyway. I do need to get some big cuphooks to put the door curtain rail above the front door up. Even one of those super sticky ones isn't strong enough. :(
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Same here Mar and blowing a gale today - boat off but hopefully back tomorrow. Had him busy helping move the wee chicken house into the front, so they can get to work there. Winter curtains still not up but going to do them this weekend, it's really cold here morning and evening - was darkish at 7.30 yesterday and we've had frost in the early mornings.

I love the colder weather and don't think I'd like to live down south where its mild all year around.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Nope, I like the long dark cosy nights too much. But I wouldn't mind somebody offering me a free month in Provence every summer... LOL. I get envious of what they can grow further south, where life doesn't revolve round leeks and bloody turnips!
    Horrible day here too, double glazling howling like a banshee again.
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Agree with that, although my sister struggles with water down there for her garden.
    Yup, turnips, leeks and carrots here - went out today to try and buy apples and/or pears - there's no fresh fruit to be had, except oranges and grotty bananas (and i'm sick of banana loaf) so it's over to tinned until I get near a bigger shop. Would give a lot for a lovely crunchy apple - it's been ages!!
  • mrs_motivated
    Options
    The evenings are starting to turn chilly here in the Midlands and the heating even kicked in for a short time last night.

Prepping well underway here, new duvets all round as ours were starting to look a bit thin in places and new brushed cotton sheets and duvet covers for all.

Boiler has been serviced and the greenhouse cleared, just got some pots to empty and some more spring bulbs to plant and then the garden jobs are done.

Tomorrow the plan is to have a wardrobe clear out and re-organise everything and store summer clothes into charity shop piles or into storage bags for next year .

I love this time of year, Autumn and Spring always lift my spirits ....and although I'm a sun and beach lover when on holiday, I am glad we have proper seasons.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I finally got around to fixing my gas and electricity via the MSE collective so that is out of the way.

I've also cooked up some chutney and that is stashed away in the cupboard to mature. Next job is lemon curd but I need some more jars before I can do that.

And for anyone looking for brushed cotton, (flannelette or winceyette whatever you choose to call it) bedding I've seen some really nice sets in Primarni. If you haven't tried brushed cotton then you are missing out! I struggle to find words to adequately describe just how cosy and snuggly it is!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • FurryBeastOz
    Options
    Changed to the heavy duvet. And the heating has gone on. It's always on more than I like because we have a dog flap (aka burglar flap) and have to leave the kitchen door open for the FurryBeast to get in and out.

But I have changed our energy supplier to the best deal, and today saved £350 on our insurance renewal, so I don't feel too bad about indulging the old hound.

Now to prep the house and car. And storecupboard. We aren't hosting Christmas this year, so I can have a larger hoarding budget:D
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport