the *perfect* remortgage lender

Options

Comments

• Axieros
    Options
    So basically after several messages I didn't get any lender names and also have no idea how much I should expect to pay in broker fees, is it £300, £500, £1000, more? A range would help.

Thanks though, it's an informative discussion nevertheless :-)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Axieros wrote: »
    @getmore4less:

The debt is quite old, slowly reducing, and I moved it from a long-term 0% promo rate that was ending to 0% transfer cards with £0 transfer fees. I wouldn't add it to the mortgage, but if I don't do that, I believe I cannot borrow the extra needed for renovations. This debt coupled with some childcare costs reduce my affordability a bit. Childcare costs will reduce to nil next year.

Regarding affordability I put my numbers in several calculators online (Nationwide, Halifax, Barclays - I actually got an AIP from Barclays for the amount I need) and most of them say affordable IF I don't enter anything in the debt box - even at 20 years mortgage terms, which I prefer. I can always go to 25 years if needed, then overpay. Or, I can halt my own pension contribution for a couple of months prior to remortgaging; I'm contributing a hefty % of my salary at the moment, believe that's also reducing affordability.

waffle, no facts.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can't tell if you're being ironic, but for my peace of mind I want to use a broker. And who knows, once I start the remortgage process I might discover that I actually need a broker :)
    No. It was realistic. You simply look at products then establish if the lender will accept your issues according to its criteria.

It is fitting lender criteria which is where we excel. So that may be where you will benefit. It's impossible to say what you will be charged and when as there are various fee charging models. We charge £250 on application and that's it. Others charge more. Others charge on issue of offer, some on completion.

Plenty think our job is to shave 0.1% off the rate from one lender to another but you can do that yourself.

Either way, as suggested, research direct stuff yourself and let the broker do their job in establishing the best broker lender/product options from those who will lend what you need. We don't do 'execution only' and many brokers don't, so I wouldn't find a list of potential lenders particularly helpful as I can do that myself in two minutes on Mortgage Brain.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • NinaSwiss
    Options
    So basically after several messages I didn't get any lender names and also have no idea how much I should expect to pay in broker fees, is it £300, £500, £1000, more? A range would help.

Thanks though, it's an informative discussion nevertheless :-)

--Most who have already posted have been here a very long time helping a lot of people but doesn't guarantee that they will have an answer for your situation. They are not obliged to either.

-- Its a weekday and most have a life outside of the forum so worth giving the post some time. If you get nothing further then it suggests that none of the people who've read your post are able to help. That said you have already received some advice even if you don't see it as such/or isn't what you want to hear.

-- As for how much brokers cost, you'd need to get that info from the broker you go with as pricing structures can vary. Based on colleague experiences they can have different pricing structures depending on the complexity of the case. My ex and colleague used same broker for a London property of similar price (£320-350) . It cost my colleague £750(remortgage and btl purchase using equity from remortgage) but cost my ex over £1000(complicated remortgage) but this doesn't really help you... see where I'm going?
    Working towards:
    [STRIKE]*House Purchase (2015)[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE] *Top-up pension (2016)[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] *Clear CC (2016) [/STRIKE]
    *Mortgage
    Overpayment (50% LTV by Jan 2020) *Clear student Loan(by Jan 2020)[STRIKE]*Save for a Car (2017)![/STRIKE]
    *Making the most of life!!!
  • Axieros
    Options
    @getmore4less:

42K salary, 6.3K annual bonus, 7.2K child support

I'm trying to get £215K for the new mortgage; property value £400K+ based on recent sales

monthly outgoings:
    £290 childcare costs (using the new tax free childcare program), one child. This will reduce to £0 by the end of this school year (secondary school age)
    £200 pension contributions; these are optional - I can temporarily stop them if needed
    £124 oyster card
    £102 council tax
    £76 service charge and ground rent

£10.9K cc debt @ 0%, no other loans or debt. This will drop to less than £10K by the time I actually re-mortgage; I pay £400 at the moment towards the CC debt, more than min payments which are 2.25% of the balance.

@kingstreet: thanks. Your post reassures me that it's worth going through a broker :)

@NinaSwiss: thank you. Just an idea of the fees helps, I genuinely don't know what to expect, I haven't been in the market in a while...
  • SouthLondonUser
    Options
    The thing is, going to a middleman with no knowledge whatsoever about what you might obtain going to the market directly exposes you to a greater risk that the middleman might recommend a product that is in his best interest, rather than yours. This could be any combination of him getting paid more and/or him having to do more work. This risk applies to any service in any sector, not just mortgages. The risk will of course be greater or lower depending on a number of factors, like the regulation in the sector, competition, how transparent the sector is, etc.

I am using a broker right now because the inefficiencies of the mortgage lenders when I applied directly have caused me to lose my will to live. E.g. Nationwide’s online system crashed because it didn’t like my address; I should have gone to a branch or booked a telephone “consultation” – first slot available in 2 weeks. Thank you, but no thank you – my time is more precious than that. In my case, the broker doesn’t give me any specific advice (I don’t really need any), doesn’t give me access to deals I would not have been able to apply directly (my situation is very straightforward), but simply saves me time. Time is precious. More precious than money, in a way – I can borrow money but I cannot borrow time!

As for specific names, have you done any research yourself? A quick search on price comparison websites will easily show multiple lenders with 5-year fixed rates < 2% for 60% LTV. Have a look at their criteria, and start from there.
  • Axieros
    Options
    @SouthLondon: yes - I used the comparison on this site, also several calculators, even got an AIP. There are quite a few lender names with <2% rates for 5-yr fix but I don't know which ones are happy for me to 1. add the existing CC debt to the mortgage and also 2. which ones include bonus and child support in affordability calculations.
  • black_wings
    black_wings Posts: 87 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2017 at 3:36PM
    Options
    @SouthLondon: yes - I used the comparison on this site, also several calculators, even got an AIP. There are quite a few lender names with <2% rates for 5-yr fix but I don't know which ones are happy for me to 1. add the existing CC debt to the mortgage and also 2. which ones include bonus and child support in affordability calculations.

If you want to inform yourself before seeing a broker then you need to go on to a lenders website and read their lending criteria and you will then easily find what they say with regards to if they accept bonuses etc etc...
    Otherwise if you can't be bothered to do that then go straight to the broker.
  • SouthLondonUser
    Options
    PS as for bonuses, I'd expect lenders to always exercise some discretion. I don't think you'll ever find a lender that tells you: "OK, if you tick this box and that box, then we'll consider your bonus, 100%!" Some lenders will tell you they categorically do not consider bonuses, ever, but no lender will ever tell you a binding "yes" before underwriting.

In these cases, a broker may be useful, because he'll have experience of which lenders are more or less likely to accept each kind of bonus. After all, a bonus should by its very nature be somewhat uncertain and not guaranteed.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The thing is, going to a middleman with no knowledge whatsoever about what you might obtain going to the market directly exposes you to a greater risk that the middleman might recommend a product that is in his best interest, rather than yours. This could be any combination of him getting paid more and/or him having to do more work. This risk applies to any service in any sector, not just mortgages. The risk will of course be greater or lower depending on a number of factors, like the regulation in the sector, competition, how transparent the sector is, etc.

Regulated sector.

A Broker has a responsibility to recommend a more suitable product where it is available. A Lender does not.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure